It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geiger Counter readings - Updated: Radioactive fallout wave travelling across U.S?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here's some guy's SF Bay Area geiger counter stream. Some recent spikes. www.ustream.tv...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
But all the charts I've scanned are giving gamma or beta readings. What about alpha?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Just a heads up. Last night I had a strong sense of incredible tension, I was so keyed up and knew something was wrong. I'm still trying to find it. I've been monitoring two sites to try and peg this. What actually flashed in my mind was a chain reaction. But then we had a 4.4 earthquake off Vancouver Island and I could feel these slight tremors on my chair, so I wasn't sure.

But this:

enenews.com...

Renewed nuclear chain reaction feared at spent-fuel storage pool, fire at building housing containment of reactor Tuesday and Wednesday, only frame remains of reactor building roof, temperature in the pool reached 84 C on March 14, water sprayed at pool on Sunday.

Oh and it seems to reach the jetstream alright too.

The readings show that.

No other way it could travel.

I also believe PU does.

www.irsn.fr...
They were expecting it in Europe.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Toffeeapple

Its the Gross Beta Count that is the one to look at.

Fixed Monitor Location: NM: ALBUQUERQUE
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/20/2011 03:52:05 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/20/2011 04:52:13 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 123
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 3164
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1978
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 591
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 330
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 200
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 243
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 149
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 59
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 71

The one in bold.

I'm not sure about handheld geiger counters, what their readings tranlate into and I hope any who post will translate this.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Its the Gross Beta Count that is the one to look at.

I'm not sure about handheld geiger counters, what their readings tranlate into and I hope any who post will translate this.

I know they're a serious threat, but why is it only the beta count that's important? The alpha radiation wouldn't have been present in the Chernobyl incident because of the different fuel. But nobody seems to be measuring the alpha despite this...

www.ehow.com...

I'm not challenging you btw, just don't really get it. To my inexperienced eye, it looks as though we're missing monitoring another dangerous threat.

*Edit...

Sorry for sidetrackin - have found a clear exlanation of the different types of radiation on Google, & now see that the alpha's the least likely to get anywhere.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Toffeeapple because: Self-explanetary

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
According to various reports workers at the damaged reactors may very soon need to "vent highly radioactive gas" AGAIN... This is the problem with their current efforts to cool these reactors, which may have reached a runaway reaction, the buildup of explosive gases leaves few options, either let it explode, or vent it... Venting releases extremely radioactive particulates in the gas and steam and causes a dangerous LOCAL rise in radioactivity at the site, making their current cooling efforts more dangerous and they possibly may need to pull back until the levels drop. It also does release radioactive particulates into the environment and atmosphere. The sea water is leading the cause, as a source for the hydrogen gas build up.

This cycle can continue until the radiation is too high for anyone to be within miles of the site... and that would lead to a catastrophic worst case meltdown.

If they can't end this worsening cycle by applying consistent, and constant coolant flow, then it will go from bad to much worse in a short time.

Vent or explode?

Which is better?

That is the current actual status of things in Japan, Fukushima nuclear plant.

FYI.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Its the one that affects us the most. I don't know if its taking all the rest into factor, but its the one we're looking for for the overall reading.

So staying inside, washing up, calling in sick, that kind of thing makes sense. Thats why they're not tipping people off of course, they don't want to lose their market dollars.

But I also think its because its continual, we're being bathed continually by fall out and that is going to possibly escalate unless those reactors cool, and we're now in the very high danger zone of that not happening.

I have a worse case scenario in my mind and its not a good one for the northern hemisphere, so I keep hoping for the best. The potential to make 60 nukes with PU out of mox fuel scares me nonstop. How many nukes in the northern hemisphere does it take to..........Would a chain reaction involve the other plant. Could seismic activity occur if a huge meltdown of this many reactors occurs?

I think the other reason they don't want to worry people is its potentially going to get worse. So they're working for the only shot of it getting better or somehow being controlled meltdowns.

I also don't want this focus on grass roots to mean we're not caring about Japan I want them all evacuated and brought to Canada, and elsewhere. We have a huge country and only 33 million. We don't have enough homes, need to erect fast ecofarms, yurt villages, but we would only gain in the end. I want all the countries to get them out, not the titanic, not just the rich. I only like the grass roots people, I love everyone, but the real people are the poor and middle class.

But we're here, not there, and all we can do is, send them light and prayers and try to speak up and demand they listen and evacuate like I've done, and focus on helping draw attention to the levels here, and protect people here. We aren't there.

I think all the readings mean something. But the gross beta is the one that translates into the figures we need to assess the dangers here.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
www.staradvertiser.com...
The US Canaries have left, over 87 000 US citizens including military familes to be evacuated.

I guess the Mormons are the canaries here. How do we know when they've gone undergound or into shelters? Will they tell us?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This statement bothered me a bit from the link you provided:

Brad Glosserman, executive director of the Honolulu-based Pacific Forum for Strategic and International Studies, said the statements from the State Department and Pentagon were carefully worded to not be seen as critical of the Japanese government 'Aî while looking out for the interests of U.S. citizens. 'They're walking a diplomatic tightrope,"'Glosserman said. 'They don't want to be seen as expressing lack of confidence or suggesting the situation is other than what the Japanese government says it is." Glosserman supported the language in the statements. 'The last thing you want to say is, 'Get on a plane and go home.' That causes panic and it may not be right," Glosserman said. 'We want to be careful but we don't want to overreact."

I can understand that they do not want to cause panic, but can we get some honesty here? Do we risk lives if we tell them the truth and they panic, or do we risk people being exposed to potential radiation because they didn't get out quick enough? Either way, this is a bad situation and I'd take the truth, please!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Unity - I'm calling you out. I understand what you are trying to do here and it is appreciated, but we must make sure we are all properly informed. You are making claims that can make many people overreact.

You are saying that a reading above 100 CPM is dangerous. That is highly misleading. I think you are misunderstanding what sites such as the radiationnetwork.com are saying when they set 130 CPM as the "Alert Level". 130 CPM does not indicate dangerous. It indicates that something is adding to what would be considered normal background radiation. That is all.

Please read Anned's post, middle of page 3. He knows what he is talking about.

You can get a reading of 240 CPM from a granite counter top.

You get about 360 CPM while flying.

Think about that. We must keep things in perspective here.

There is nothing to worry about until consistent readings of closer to 3,000 CPM are occurring. Heck, I would even say you can freak out at 1000 if you want, but anything below 4 digits is a waste of everyone's time.

If you don't believe me then look up what is considered a dangerous exposure level, just make sure you do the math right when converting to CPM. A CPM count is waaaaayyy lower than a milisievert and milirem and all that. Sorry I don't have time to provide links but the info is easy enough to find.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
From what I understand, we should be worried about the dust particles that we could ingest. Geiger counters don't tell you if they are present.

No one should be worried about immediate radiation effects. It is the long term increase in cancer risk.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealJayZ

The EPA monitors draw air through them. This air is passed over the detectors. If there is fallout in the air the instruments detect the radiation from it.

The EPA monitors are not detecting anything but normal background radiation.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealJayZ

OK, first of all. The jetstream has already taken this over North America to the Atlantic, so we're talking about fallout of particles in the weather system, and water, ground, causing the radiation to continually spike, along with further influx's from the plant. (although I don't know alot about the Shroom cloud).

The radiation at the level of mild can make people sick. 10% die at light within 30 days. So the true figures (if this doesnt chain, just the figures now) would be showing up in the next 30 days. A strange new flue where so many have the runs, and nausea, etc etc. I imagine this is mostly mild still, not to the light stage. Like NOT going to have that 10%. But if it chains it could get worse.

The long term cancer is also a part of this. Airborn and aloft, and falling is direct danger. The rest is always with us, yup. I think so.

My older car has kind of leaked seals. Ie. the coast is a rain bucket, and we got dumped on since Sept. Not much snow, but rained nonstop. My car doesnt have a leak in the radiator, but fogs up inside, all the time. And there is a leak in the trunk. No odd scents, just a swampy smell. Not chlorine.

Wednesday, shopping, waiting for my mother to come out, it rained breifly and a strong chlorine scent was in my car. I just knew it smelt similar to chlorine for some reason.

Staying inside is a good idea when readings are high. Washing up alot with soap. Washing clothes alot. Avoiding the rainfalls too.

Basically people will be getting sick if they're lying on their figures.

Its the Long Term Cancer I'm concerned about right now. We are all trying to avoid that exact thing.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Would magnets interact or attract and retain these radioactive particles? I don't know if I can post here but I'm trying to get this answered.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ok everybody: REALITY CHECK!

I found a good conversion site to put in perspective what we are talking about here:

radiation.fusionbureau.com...

Please check the CPM readings as you move the sliders and then compare that to what people are saying in this thread.

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'll help search for that online. I know it sticks to Aluminium but Borium helps absorb it. I've never thought of magnets. Do you mean for your free energy generator?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TattarrattaT

Excellent. I was looking for a conversion and they do give the conversion of the gross beta count. Bear in mind they're giving symptoms in a day. I know these are lower, ie. the xray type, but, its continual, and it involves particles. so being safe is important, and they have the 100-125 Gross Beta Count, set at danger, for a reason. Remember X-rays give you lead aprons and don't keep on bathing you.

But their one day symptoms look odd. 1-2 SV which is a huge gross beta count, thousands not hundreds, makes light radiation posioning and 10% mortality in 30 days. I think 100 000 000 million CPM is 1 SV. Correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

So this is going to be ongoing xray level things. And still has consequence to family. And the environment. And Japan is approaching real dangers now, their window of time is running out and the canaries, the over 87 000 US citizens including military families, are now being evacuated.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TattarrattaT

Without knowing the sensitivity of the instrument being used there is no way to convert CPM to dose. For a given level of radiation a more sensitive instrument will produce a higher CPM than one less sensitive.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thanks for your reply but no, I'm not trying to put together a supplemental energy source at the moment. I'm wondering how magnets might interact with elevated radiation levels because I have a lot of amplifiers and audio equipment with large magnets around here. Was also outside playing an electric guitar outdoors when, I can believe what I'm reading, the radiation levels were quite high in my area.
Any information anyone can dig up would be most appreciated.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You are correct. There is no way to convert numbers to exact CPM. That's why we use estimates. The margin of error in the estimates are close enough to know that we do not need to worry about CPM readings in the hundreds.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join