It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geiger Counter readings - Updated: Radioactive fallout wave travelling across U.S?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The highest reading i ever got in a home was a old grandfather clock.

The clock face was over 1000 counts per minutes.

But it was over 3000 counts per minutes down near the base of the clock.

When we opened the grandfather clock up we found a tiny bottle of radium 226 paint for repainting the clock hands.
Other people have found the same thing in old clocks.
www.scienceforums.net...

NCRP Report 56 indicated that the estimated average dose equivalent to the gonads of an individual wearing a radium-containing watch was approximately 3 mrem per year. The estimated dose from a watch containing 4.5 uCi of radium, a very large amount, would be 310 mrem per year to the gonads.

Even today, tritium (H-3) and promethium-147 (Pm-147) are used on instrument dials and gun sights.
both will show a high counts per minute.

Anned,

Do you still have the radium 226 paint? If you have it and it is in a clear bottle I am curious do you get a higher reading after putting it in direct sunshine for a few hours?

In the military we were issued Bulova wrist watches. We were told to expose them to sun light if we expected to use them at night. It was also suggested we not wear them while sleeping to reduce exposure.
edit on 19-3-2011 by whatwasthat because: spelling

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eMachine
Portland levels... interesting?

www.epa.gov...

That reading does indeed show what I "Expect" from a fallout "Wave".

BUT- One major problem with this graph. It shows the spike on the 15th day of this month I believe.

And this does not match up very well with Today, the 19th.

I would expect the spike to have been 2days ago, not 4.

SO something is not adding up here. I'll keep digging till can get this sorted out.
Thanks for posting that though.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Run the query (it takes a while, the site seems pretty busy for some reason). When the results are posted scroll down the screen for the options to create a graph.

They are not "really high" values. It is pointless to compare the EPA counts to the "civilian" networks. They are recording different things. The EPA separates Beta counts from Gamma counts. The others lump them all together. The EPA has more sensitive instruments than the others so the counts are naturally higher.

Different places have different background levels and those levels fluctuate over time and even with weather conditions. Wind stirring up dust will cause changes because of radioactive materials found in soil.

Yes, it's a coincidence that some place with higher ambient levels are in a line. Check some other locations in that "line".

Fallout from Japan has arrived. The levels are too low to be detected by the EPA monitors or civilians. The levels are so far below background levels that it takes extremely sensitive intruments to detect them. They are so far below background levels that they are absolutely harmless.
yosemite.epa.gov...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Run the query (it takes a while, the site seems pretty busy for some reason). When the results are posted scroll down the screen for the options to create a graph.

They are not "really high" values. It is pointless to compare the EPA counts to the "civilian" networks. They are recording different things. The EPA separates Beta counts from Gamma counts. The others lump them all together. The EPA has more sensitive instruments than the others so the counts are naturally higher.

Different places have different background levels and those levels fluctuate over time and even with weather conditions. Wind stirring up dust will cause changes because of radioactive materials found in soil.

Yes, it's a coincidence that some place with higher ambient levels are in a line. Check some other locations in that "line".

Fallout from Japan has arrived. The levels are too low to be detected by the EPA monitors or civilians. The levels are so far below background levels that it takes extremely sensitive intruments to detect them. They are so far below background levels that they are absolutely harmless.
yosemite.epa.gov...

SO if I grow a third arm, because you were wrong, I can slap you with it?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I'll eat it before I go for your brain.

edit on 3/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

K. You tha man.

"I'M WITH PHAGE ON THIS"

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Ok so if this "line of coincidental radiation" moves East slowly while the prior locations drop back down to previous levels, would it also be another coincidence?

I will be monitoring these levels all night and will determine if they move East.

If they don't and it says similar to what it is now, I'll accept your rationalizations.

But if they do move East and remain in a line north to south- I will be forced to freak out and call it the fallout wave.

So I am open to allowing the instruments to determine which is which.

Currently it's still theory and we need further data to really determine if it is the fallout or not.
Within 24-48 hours we will have enough information to know for absolute sure.

I just don't believe in predictions of the fallout being 100% safe, because that's what it is a PREDICTION. We don't even know the amount of fallout or the density at this point it's all speculative based on assumptions.

So we will see. I will be watching closely.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I say we make Phage the Secretary of Energy! Wait... Maybe he is!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

You're now next on my list once I'm a radioactive zombie.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I'll be watching for information from Fukushima.

I'm far more concerned about Japan, Korea, and China than I am about North America or elsewhere in this crisis.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I'll be watching for information from Fukushima.

I'm far more concerned about Japan, Korea, and China than I am about North America or elsewhere in this crisis.

Why? Isn't the Jet stream carrying the largest amounts of the fallout cloud over the pacific ocean directly towards North America and then onwards to Europe? Appears that's the case.

Now I do expect the wind to shift south of Fukushima soon, directly towards Tokyo, but it will still bend out towards the pacific yet again.

I don't even think the wind can go towards China from Fukushima. If so, I will admit ignorance on the subject but I am almost pretty sure the wind does not go that direction. (Jet Streams)

Yeah I checked again to make sure.
www.wunderground.com...

How could you have missed this Phage? There's no way China or Korea are down wind from this thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Agreed, Muzzle.

Just watch this video:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Don't be Fooled

The only good way to analyze the air for radiation from Japan is to set up a collector and vacuum up the suspect air through a highly restrictive filter element, clean and sterile, for a period of 24 hours, then using full spectrum radiation detectors scan the contents collected in the filter. The rest is mathematics and physics...

Of course, nothing publicly available is set up to do this properly, nor is set up to do this the way it is being done now by the government and the UN... and their results will never be made public.

By the time higher than background radiation is detected with any other methods that the public can use, there will be no point in it.

You need to do the above at different elevations, and from aircraft to get a complete and accurate threat assessment.

Seriously, unless the UN nuclear test ban enforcement detection team, or others in the government come forward with the data they have and are collecting, anything you get from public 'networks' will be totally unreliable.

Also, the extremely accurate methods the agencies are using will provide enough data to assess the long term health risks to the public.

We don't have, nor can get the proper equipment to do this and get anything actually useful from it... By design.

I have learned a thing or two in the 36 hours I was MIA from here.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity I posted in another thread regarding you staing tucson had a ver high reading I am still trying to get responses to that as I am in az. and trying dam hard to avois this s###, I have tried several links no one seems to have a dam bit of accurate info!!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'd say if this jet stream is carrying heavy amounts of radiation (I believe it very well could be) then the safest place to be seems south...
Anyone else notice how Brazil is one of the only places not getting affected by any jet streams whatsoever on that vid?
We all know whose in Rio right now dont we?

edit on 20-3-2011 by matrixportal because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by matrixportal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Can I get a link to an accurate reporting site and maybe someone can run down az. numbers intucson for me as I am getting good readings prior including yesterday I need some good assistance here guys I am trying to keep family and others informed!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Nice, no responses1 Is this the ats members???

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by condition9

I don't know whether it was higher before, but Tucson seems fine now.

You can check it on the EPA Website. If this link doesn't work, just go to epa.gov and click "radiation" and then click the map.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

Thank you for the info I have been monitoring this site and others for updates and asked on here got only 2 responses yours and 1 other feel like in the twilight zone.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
one small particle at 1 part per billion will spike the readings for a very short time frame
not a big particle mind you
i wouldnt expect to see constant high readings from this type of particle
but inhale one, just one and you will be the source for your own exposure
depending on the count of that particle and weather its breathed in
drunken or eaten can depend on the after effects

muzzle
the real problem with this sort of dispersion is the really dangerous particles may only show up as a blip on a graph
similar to phages
so the readings look to be quite low except for the blips
problem being this type of dusty radiation particle only sets of a meter if it gets very close to the sensor
the backround radiation from this type of particle would be very hard to detect
unless it came directly in contact with the sensor the readings might not get that high
but the particle itself if tested would show very high counts per second
but i dont think most of these particles will be directly detected
my personal opinion is the particulates are very dangerous and almost imposable to read without direct contact with the sensor uptake port
this means that its likely all you will get is spikes as the indivdual particulates are detected
not a cumulative reading of the over all exposure

problem again
in this case its not the cumulative exposure but the individual particals that pose the greatest health risk
if the govenment was straight with the people and told them what is happening
in three to five years when people start getting sick they would tie the cause and effect together
if the gov let the people figuar it out for themselves not many people will tie the cause to the effect.

please be aware the mass high readings is very unlikely to be an indicator of the acual exposure to injested particles.

its not the "wave" of radiation we should fear
its the particles invading the water food and lungs
very hard to detect
imposable to remove
this is intended to help understanding and not intended to induce fear

the radiation is only a cloud because of the radioactive particulates
its the particles that pose a threat when injested not the transient radiation from the cloud
the transient radiation levels will be very low
that does not mean there is no danger
just that it is almost imposable to detect unless you "luck" upon a particle in which case all you get is a spike

stay safe
KIA KAHA
xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join