It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Moon, 19/03/11 Post Your Footage Here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As most of you will know tonight is the night that the moon will be at its closest for 20 years, not only that its a full moon. I'm not going to post all the moon facts here they can be found elsewhere. What I would like to see in this thread is your videos and pictures of tonight's moon. I will kick of the proceedings with a quick video i made of the moon using my sony dcr camcorder with 40X Optical zoom.Balanced on my cars roof. I am sure you guys can do a lot better and probably have far superior equipment than me. Good luck Tarifa37.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

It does look beautiful in full glow!!
Well done!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Muderford Quay Dorset Pictures dont do it justice
edit on 19-3-2011 by brizellious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Haven't been too impressed with this Supermoon. Last full moon here in Florida was easily 5x as big as the moon I've seen the last few nights.

The difference though could be the time of day I have seen it. The last full moon I saw at dusk driving toward the ocean. I'm in South Florida. It was the biggest and most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I've seen pictures but none captured what I saw. I didn't get one because we were running late for dinner with the family. I regret not taking the time.

I've been looking at this Supermoon late at night. Maybe the optics of the last moon, setting over the ocean, magnified it... I don't know. I do know I will be out trying to get a picture as the sun sets tonights. Then again, maybe the apogee is different for South Florida this time around and I will be dissapointed. It's very clear so clouds shouldn't be an issue. I'll let you know how it turns out.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by brizellious

Nice one it looks sooo bright tonight. Its funny because on Friday I was listening to a moon expert on radio 2 who said we wouldn't really notice any difference in size or brightness, TOSH it looks amazing tonight.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
From Norfolk UK
With the sinking Sun reflecting the last colours

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/724662beef89.jpg[/atsimg]

Without the Sun's final glow. Looks wonderful from here but now really too bright to get a good shot.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a849a4a78404.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Wow fantastic pics, I also found the moon was so bright that the camera had trouble focusing properly. What equipment did you use?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Thank you
Nikon D90 and a Sigma 500 lens. Usually used for photographing wildlife. I have no idea what the final setting were for these two. After several white glowing balls I just twiddled every button available until a got something.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I hope it's ok to do this, if not let me know and I'll remove. While watching the ISS live feed, I caught the moon emerging from behind the Earth....normally, it is never seen on the ISS feeds, so it shows how close it really is!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I don't have the equipment or photography skills to match the awesome pictures posted so far, but I found this one I took, with an almost completely closed lens, to be worthy of a post. I think it really makes you appreciate the brightness!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3248d48784c7.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just wanted to share mine too, taken unfortunately on my iPhone:

The clouds make it look like the letter S going through it, as in SuperMoon, lol...
edit on 19-3-2011 by HedyLamarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishman

Thanks for that picture. I think even more than the size its the brightness which for me is what sets it apart from a normal full moon.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishman

I like this because this is how it looks now to the naked eye. Beautifully bright with halos and starbursts.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
sorry but all this supermoon hype is a bunch of BS...there, I said it...go on and hate me for raining on your parade of something as absurd as the SUPERMOON destroying the world or whatever...if it's been this close before (which apparently 20 years ago it was) and nothing catastrophic and world ending happened, then it's my opinion it's just fear mongering by some stupid astrologist who thinks he knows it all

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

That maybe true but this thread is just about getting beautiful images and videos of the moon not a debate on its effects, Cheers Tarifa37

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Maybe I'll post some tomorrow, haven't checked the card yet and I'm about to brave the cold and set the scope up.

If I remember about the thread that is.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here are some non ATS moon videos taken tonight.
Qe38uebgcUU[/yvid]

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The Moon, as seen from Portugal at 22:04.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So I'm looking outside and it's 8pm here in Oregon, and there's abolutely no moon in the sky. Where the hell is it? We always have a visibile moon in the sky at this time of the night.....

Weird...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join