It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Distraction - Japan - The nuclear accidents you don't know about.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Did you know that there were up to 10 to 12 separate nuclear accidents in the last week in Japan as a result of the mega-quake tsunami incident??

The media has been focused primarily on the 4 reactors at Fukushima Dai-Ichi. But we have many other incidents to discuss and I shall lay them out for you folks right here.

Japan Nuclear Accidents Wiki

We all know about the Fukushima Dai-Ichi accidents by now (well what we are allowed to know at least).
Fukushima 1 Accidents
There are severe issues going on at Reactors 1,2,3,4 ; meanwhile it appears that reactors 5 and 6 are in stable conditions.

This is pretty much 99% of what the media is talking about here.

Now, on to the less heard about nuclear accidents.
Fukushima Dai-ni
Fukushima 2 (Dai-ni) has 3 reactors which reached nuclear accident status.

The loss of cooling water at reactors 1, 2 and 4 was classified a level 3 on the International Nuclear Event Scale (serious incident) by Japanese authorities as of March 18.

We really don't have much information about Fukushima 2 site, but from what I have gathered it appears that it remains relatively stable, but still concerning and important to monitor closely.

Onagawa Nuclear Plant
Onagawa Plant

A fire from the turbine section of the plant following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake was reported by Kyodo News.[2] On March 13, 2011, levels of radiation on site reached 21μSv/hour, a level at which Tohoku Electric Power Company were mandated to declare state of emergency, and they did so at 12:50, declaring the lowest-level such state.

Apparently Onagawa is stable at this point, but obviously the situation there was very important not to dismiss.

Tokai Nuclear Plant
Tokai power plant wiki

Following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami the number 2 reactor wasone of eleven nuclear reactors nation wide to be shut down automatically.[2] It was reported on 14 March that a cooling system pump for the number 2 reactor had stopped working.[3] Japan Atomic Power Company stated that there was a second operational pump and cooling was working, but that two of three diesel generators used to power the cooling system were out of order.

So here #2 suffered some issues, but thankfully were able to resolve them (at least for now--to our knowledge).

Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant
Rokkasho wiki

After the Tōhoku earthquake in March 2011, the plant ran on emergency power provided by backup diesel generators.[10] These emergency engines are not capable for long-term use.[11] Reportedly there are about 3,000 tons of highly radioactive used nuclear fuel stored in Rokkasho at current, that could overheat and catch fire if the cooling systems fail. Japanese radio reported on March 13 that 600 liters of water leaked at the Rokkasho spent fuel pool.[12] According to The New York Times, grid power was restored on March 14, 2011

I can not find much information about what really went on at Rokkasho, and if anyone can find out please share.

If you have further information about the Rokkasho processing plant, Fukushima 2, Onagawa, or Tokai accidents please add it here if you are willing.

I created this thread because I believe this information is very important and it will aid us on understanding how dangerous these facilities are, and it shows us exactly how vulnerable these old facilities truly are in the face of great tectonic events.

Even a level 2 disaster is incredibly dangerous and should NOT be overlooked. These disasters are a wake up call...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Great post as always, muzz. S+F.

This is what I've been wondering about. It seems the Japanese government is trying to cover it all up, while leaving fukushima as the scapegoat. Of course they are even covering that up to some degree.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I almost called it a cover up , but I don't have proof to back that up 100% yet. Of course it looks like one, I concede.

So I called it distraction, because the information about these other reactors is available. However this information is being buried and ignored. So I termed it the Media Distraction.

Because that's what they are for sure doing here. Distracting people.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well, I understand that a government wants to hide big problems from the masses other than the possibility of mass panic. I don't see how it's better to sit and wait, when they should play it safe and forewarn the possibilities.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Bump, star & flag. Thanks, Muzz...

(Well-trained second line though supposedly no longer necessary).

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
A great read here, I always have questioned the statement "we don't want to cause mass panic" because sure you are going to create mass panic but people will get the hell out of there and possibly live to tell about the mass panic.
Me I would take my chances with a stampede rather than 300 times the normal radiation levels and die a slow and lonely death.
We live in a city with massive petroleum and chemical plants and when there is a problem the sirens wail and the media starts yapping right away.
Never had an actual evacuation order but we have had a few close calls, which never created mass panic.
Regards, Iwinder
S&F

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Nothing new in the way of news but i found this link with a bit of info on all above sites
highboldtage.wordpr ess.com

But i found this article that tells more about what they do at The Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant [RRP]

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Great information, thank you. I have watched news since the massive earthquake and the tsunami hit the northwest of Japan. However, I've never heard incidents of other nuclear power stations.
I guess the reason why a government wants to hide big problems from the masses is because it wants to keep many nulear power plants active. And it wants to start active operation for the Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant in near feature.

top topics

join