It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Has Atlantis been discovered? U.S.--led team thinks they’ve found lost city in southern Spain"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

A team of researchers say they might have found the lost city of Atlantis, which is thought to have been destroyed by a tsunami thousands of years ago. They believe its ruins could be buried under mud flats in southern Spain, just north of Cadiz. Using deep-ground radar, digital mapping and underwater technology to survey the site, archaeologists and geologists believe they found the city buried in the marshlands of Dona Ana Park. Head researcher Richard Freund, a professor at the University of Hartford, Connecticut, found a series of “memorial cities” built in Atlantis’ image by refugees after its likely destruction, which convinced researchers it could very well be the real thing. Accounts from Greek philosopher Plato, written 2,600 years ago, were used to help them pinpoint it. The region is notorious for its tsunamis, although debate about whether Atlantis really existed has gone on for thousands of years.

SOURCE

Cadiz is on the coastline close to Portugal on the bottom.

Computer generated map of research findings.

Looks like paradise to me ! (Cadiz, Spain)

I have always wondered about the location of Atlantis. I saw this announced on HLN a few minutes ago & apparently it has not gotten that much attention because of the tragedies occurring in Japan (which I totally understand!!!!) I wanted to post this for others to see in hopes it wouldn't be one of those things you hear on the news and then never hear about again.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm travelling there next week, i'll go have a look, thanks for finding this.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just heard this on the news too! I like this take on Atlantis: atlantismaps.com... sounds very plausible. Besides, there are many sunken ancient cities that have already been found.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Nat Geo had a show on this last Sunday. It was very interesting but inconclusive
They didn't find any definite proof yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That 2nd image looks a lot like an impact crater. I know Atlantis was supposed to be city of concentric rings, so maybe that's what they used when it was built. Would make excellent layers of defense.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How incredible would it be if this is indeed Atlantis, and archeologists find something there that proves they were an advanced race. The information from this site could be ground breaking advances in science and could also answer alot of ancient histories biggest mysteries.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
One thing I've always heard as a prophecy of end times is that Atlantis would be found, so maybe it's not so good?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Didnt Edgar Cayce predict that the finding of Atlantis and the thirld world war will go hand in hand? oO

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unknOWNmirAGE

Ha...beat me to it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Lmao no worries, you confirmed what I was thinking, it was Edgar Cayce! Team work is always welcome.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It was my understanding that he had said that Atlantis would rise from the ocean floor. I could be way off base on this, i am searching the net now for a more accurate account of his Atlantis propheices.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I saw this article on yahoo a few weeks ago, damn did Atlantis really consist of having concentric rings? The first mention of it is in Plato, how the hell did Plato know where the hell it was? Wow, that's amazing lol The second image really got to me

new topics

top topics

join