Defendant Convicted of Minting His Own Currency

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Defendant Convicted of Minting His Own Currency

charlotte.fbi.gov

STATESVILLE, NC—Bernard von NotHaus, 67, was convicted today by a federal jury of making, possessing, and selling his own coins, announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. Following an eight-day trial and less than two hours of deliberation, von NotHaus, the founder and monetary architect of a currency known as the Liberty Dollar, was found guilty by a jury in Statesville, North Carolina, of making coins resembling and similar to United States coins; of issuing, passing, selling, and possessing Liberty Dollar coins; of issuing and passing Liberty Do
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is unfortunate but he was asking for it my using the $ and the word "Dollar" on his currency.
"Von NotHaus designed the Liberty Dollar currency in 1998 and the Liberty coins were marked with the dollar sign ($); the words dollar, USA, Liberty, Trust in God (instead of In God We Trust); and other features associated with legitimate U.S. coinage."
If he had named is something else and called it silver coins he may have avoided the problem. The fed owns the courts so best not to pick a fight lol.

charlotte.fbi.gov

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill
This is unfortunate but he was asking for it my using the $ and the word "Dollar" on his currency.

35 other countries have the word "Dollar" in their currency and use the "$" symbol. What is the problem? Also, this man did nothing illegal. Where in the Constitution does it say that citizens cannot coin their own money? As the article mentions, article I, section 8, clause 5 of the United States Constitution delegates to Congress the power to coin money. Who elects and funds Congress? The people. We the people have more right to produce money than the Federal Reserve does, yet they do it. Why aren't they being convicted?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not very smart on his part. Everyone knows you aren't allowed to counterfeit money unless you are licensed to do so. As the banks are.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What exactly did he counterfeit? His currency is separate from - not a counterfeit of - the US Dollar. It is not illegal to mint your own currency, and it is certainly not illegal to use the word "Dollar" or the "$" symbol. This title and symbol is not copyrighted nor owned. All this man did "wrong" was possess $7 million in value worth of a currency not taxable by the IRS. THAT is why he was convicted.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm was implied in my post.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
What is the problem? Also, this man did nothing illegal. Where in the Constitution does it say that citizens cannot coin their own money?

A jury of his peers says otherwise. If he had not broken the law, he would not have been convited right? As for the constitution, freedom of the press is there, freedom of speech is there, the right to bare arms is there, but last time I checked the right to mint your own currency wasn't.

From the same article

Article I, section 8, clause 5 of the United States Constitution delegates to Congress the power to coin money and to regulate the value thereof. This power was delegated to Congress in order to establish and preserve a uniform standard of value and to insure a singular monetary system for all purchases and debts in the United States, public and private. Along with the power to coin money, Congress has the concurrent power to restrain the circulation of money which is not issued under its own authority in order to protect and preserve the constitutional currency for the benefit of all citizens of the nation. It is a violation of federal law for individuals, such as von NotHaus, or organizations, such as NORFED, to create private coin or currency systems to compete with the official coinage and currency of the United States.
edit on 19-3-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
If he had not broken the law, he would not have been convited right?

Because everyone in prison is guilty, right? We have a flawless justice system, right?

Originally posted by quackers
As for the constitution, freedom of the press is there, freedom of speech is there, the right to bare arms is there, but last time I checked the right to mint your own currency wasn't.

As was stated in my initial post, the only entity that has the power to mint currency is Congress. Yet we have two other entities minting their own currency: the Federal Reserve and some individuals.

My whole point is, if you're going to convict individuals for minting their own currency, the Federal Reserve should be convicted for counterfeiting our currency. They have no legal right to produce US Dollars. Don't bother coming at me with the Federal Reserve Act as it is clearly unconstitutional, therefore null and void of any legal standing.

The people have more right to mint their own currency than the Federal Reserve does. The people fund and elect Congress. The rights of Congress only go as far as we the people permit it to. The US Dollar belongs to us. The entire monetary system of this country legally belongs to us. If we want to mint our own currency, we can.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Boohoo, don't like it, change the constitution because its that little bit of paper that makes it illegal for you to mint your own currency. Simples.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

That is your response? I'll take that as you admitting that you have no logical argument against what I have said.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I think the work-around on the issue of minting is how the fed does not 'mint' money. They print notes, essentially IOU's, backed by the government with, now, nothing but faith. The congress created the U.S. Mint, who does mint coins under the authority of the congress.

This is how other people and cities have been able to get away with making printed money for say a town or county. They aren't minting currency, nor or they counterfeiting U.S. currency. Those people are essentially doing what the FED does by printing out promissory notes, which are usually backed by FED notes or gold/silver.

edit: When I say the FED prints, I mean the US Bureau of Printing and Engraving prints the actual paper, but it is valued from the FED. The whole thing is a bunch of hogwash. Its a big con job, but that is how they legally get away with it.

I liked what the guy was doing, but I could see how it was going to be stopped. As stated earlier, if he had minted coins of value, not as a currency competitor to US coins, then he would likely have been safe. Or he just should have printed paper instead.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Wolf321 because: clarification

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

35 other countries have the word "Dollar" in their currency and use the "$" symbol. What is the problem?

Does this also mean that any board game or plastic coin from a toy set that had real dollar coin references on would get the manufacturer convicted?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

35 other countries have the word "Dollar" in their currency and use the "$" symbol. What is the problem?

Does this also mean that any board game or plastic coin from a toy set that had real dollar coin references on would get the manufacturer convicted?

That was one of the first things that popped in my head. People could just as easily start using Monopoly money as currency rather than this person's.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Good... I can't believe how long he got away with that BS.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

I agree had the guy used different terminology he would have been fine. From the looks he got tagged with a counterfeit charge.

As far as the courts being owned, not all counterfiet charges go to Federal court. There are a few states whose counterfeiting statutes are used, based on the investigation (harsher fine, less jail time, vice versa etc).

The one thing that irritates me though are the laws on the books dealing with bartering... Thats pretty much a broadly phrased catch all to protect currency. If you exchange the chicken for some magic beans your neighbor has, make sure you pay tax on it lol.

Funny enough though private businesses can pretty much decide what they will accept. Companies can decline to accept personal checks, which is essentially an IOU / Promisary note.

The system needs to be fixed.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

"Von NotHaus designed the Liberty Dollar currency in 1998 and the Liberty coins were marked with the dollar sign ($); the words dollar, USA, Liberty, Trust in God (instead of In God We Trust); and other features associated with legitimate U.S. coinage."
If he had named is something else and called it silver coins he may have avoided the problem. The fed owns the courts so best not to pick a fight lol.

charlotte.fbi.gov

I agree, Max Keiser is minting 5oz silver Keisers and nobody is taking him to court.

Buy Silver..Crash J P Morgan.

Cosmic...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
While this really sucks, there are some interesting things happening on the sideline.

The Utah House of Representatives has passed a bill to return to gold and silver.
Link

And, Dr. Paul has introduced this to the US House of Representatives.

Oh, and before I forget the details of the Liberty Dollar trial can be found here.

J.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Yeah. I am going to agree that if he would have omitted certain words, he would have been fine.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500
Good... I can't believe how long he got away with that BS.

Yes because you and everyone else was so victimized by what he was doing, right? We are all so hurt from him minting his own currency. This country is in such danger now because of his actions. HOORAY GOVERNMENT for taking this terrorist off the streets!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Where in the Constitution does it say that citizens cannot coin their own money?

How about the part that says the fEderal Government shall be responsible for the minting of a currency?

Or maybe Article 1 section 8 of the Constitution....
Maybe Article 1 section 9 of the constution, where the word dollar is used?

How about 31 USC 331...............
and 31 USC 5112...

Or we could look at 25 USC.... Feel free to take your pick of law in that section, as most of them cover what this guy did.

I can continue if you need more information on this topic.. Just let me know...

As a Side note, before making your argument, please learn a little something about the topic.. Some friendly advice.

edit on 20-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join