It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allied Forces Begin Military Action Against Libya - Live Updates

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Quote from another blog:

“The NFZ in certain areas has quickly been transitioned to a no drive, no walk and no breathe zone.”

edit on 22-3-2011 by soleprobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
First off I'm entirely new to this site, this is my first post, so if I break any social norms you guys have, please let me know.

I haven't had the time to go through all the posts in this thread so I'm just going to give my opinion on the situation in Libya and the Middle East in general as it stands, and if it was already covered I'm sorry.

To me what is happening in Libya and the Middle East is no great mystery if you understand the history between the Arab people and the West. The bottom line is, the US supports many of these regimes that exist (or past tense existed in the case of the Egyptian ex-president Mubarak) in the region. It is no secret that Mubarak was one of our greatest allies in the region, Mubarak a clear violator of human rights. What does this tell us? The US does not care who is in power in the Middle East, so long as they support their interests and that of their ally, Israel. Hopefully most of you on this site already know this, since your motto seems to be to fight ignorance.

Egypt was the first serious country to turn. Tunisia was only important because it helped catalyze the Egyptian revolution and relinquish the people from the chain of fear that weighed them down. When Mubarak's position was threatened the West panicked. They knew they couldn't do much because Mubarak had been their long existing ally, but his corruption is widely known and the protests were peaceful calls for democracy, so the US couldn't do much to aid him. The US tried to cling on through the military, whom they give millions in aid to every year, and as a result have much influence over their generals. That is why the Egyptian military took so long to protect the peaceful protesters from Mubarak's police thugs, so long as the US was indecisive, the Egyptian military was indecisive. Until finally the US cut the chord on Mubarak, realizing he had lost all legitimacy. But they made sure that power was given to the military, in hopes of transitioning power to US friendly candidate. Things in Egypt will never be the same however, the people expect change and they shall receive it.

But now the West is worried about a domino affect. Their next biggest fear? Protests in Bahrain, the location of the US 5th Naval Fleet and Naval base, in perfect positioning against Iran. Sure enough they began, and with the excellent media coverage that has allowed these revolutions to be heard, it was only a matter of time before Bahrain was free. Since the US has no control over Al Jazeera and other news agencies that are now emerging in popularity, they had to play a different game. In order to give the media a bigger story, they looked around the world for another country to meddle in, one that would seem like we (and by we I mean the US as I am an American citizen) could have no ulterior motive in. Libya was perfect. We don't get much of our oil from Libya, we only recently began talks with the President/Tyrant Muammar Ghaddafi. But what was even better was that Europe actually does have ulterior motives, they get a huge portion of their oil from Libya, so they would be eager to help the US.

So then the next question is, how will we create an excuse to enter Libya? Well, I don't know how often you fellas keep up with the news on that part of the world, but I am watching the news every other hour at least, and there was one seemingly insignificant moment that everyone seemed to dismiss, but I immediately perceived it's dire implications. British intelligence and special forces were rounded up by Libyans and presented to the media. Britain quickly responded saying they were sent there to assess the situation for evacuation of civilians, and while that may have been one of their goals, you don't send in the elite forces for something like that. And even if that was the complete truth, it just means that Britain was desperate to get their civilians out because they knew of the future escalating violence. One would be a fool to think that British special forces were in Libya before the CIA and the USSOF. Shortly after I watched what began as an entirely peaceful protest degrade into immediate violence and small arms battles.

It is my belief that the CIA waited for a perfect opportunity to smuggle in small arms weapons and 50 cal machine gun trucks into the protesters ranks under the guise of neighboring countries arms dealers. They given cheap, essentially free. The CIA knew that Ghaddafi keeps his mercenaries close, and that he would eventually fire live ammunition against the civilian population. By arming the protesters they successfully started conflict. The CIA also knew that Ghaddafi was much better equipped and that the rebels would be crushed, eventually prompting for international intervention through the UN, all of which has already been done. Ghaddafi saw this intervention and was able to gather some followers within his own country, and blamed the civilians who protested at the start as Al Qaeda. The grievances of the Libyan people were entirely legitimate, however and no Al Qaeda was involved.

So you may ask, how would the US benefit from this? It does a few things.

1. It raises the bar for how brutal a country can be towards protests. Now if the Bahraini government fires a few rounds into a crowd, it doesn't compare to the mortar shells that Ghaddafi launched into crowds.

2. It takes all the eyes off of Bahrain and focuses it in Libya. As I explained earlier, Bahrain is very important to the US.

3. It quite literally brought all of the domino affected revolutions in the area to a stalemate. Because Libya is failing at peaceful transition, its causing other countries to fail, but only for a small time it seems, as Yemen seems to be succeeding in their call for democracy.

4. Most importantly it creates a precedence for this kind of attack. If a country is able to attack another country under the premise of democracy, as we've done in the past, then that country can do so with international backing, possibly even their armies. I say this because I look at Iran and I see how the US has tried to play on the small anti-government protests that have taken place there and i wonder how much more involved we will get in the future. I mean, no doubt that the Mullah's in Iran have too much power and needs to be reformed, but really not much more power than lobbyists and wall street millionaires have here in America. Enough to bitch about but not enough to have the entire governmental system overthrown.

That is my view about Libya. It is all connected with Bahrain and Iran. Two days before Saudi Arabia invaded Bahrain, our defense minister was in Bahrain. I have no doubt that we asked Saudi Arabia to aid the Bahraini government. Iran saw this, and as a result threatened to destroy the US 5th fleet if they interfered. The fleet quickly left Bahrain at an attempt to prove that the US had nothing to do with anything that was happening there. Saudi Arabia's entry into Bahrain is an outrage. It is straight up an invasion of a country who was experiencing a natural and necessary revolution of the people for democracy (don't buy into the shiite-sunni conflict bull#, both sects are participating in these protests).

Also please note that this is my opinion I understand if you disagree please be polite. Also sorry if it's too long.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by GovtFlu

Just to set you straight, son...that was in reference to an article which quoted Libyan rebels as saying that "the world has let us down" by not helping them to topple their beloved DICTATOR. The allies went in a few days after that announcement. Those "allies" are the French and the Brits. I was not aware that the United States is there at all at this time.

Wow, so called Libyan rebels were quoted.. that makes it true?....lol.. everyone knows strangers who get quoted sharing opinions always tell the truth.

You can call the "allies" whatever you want from, probably, 1000s of miles away.. what do you think Libyans see them as??.. more similar to the violent cabal that "helped" millions of Iraqis into suffering, OR.. a benevolent force of truth telling pure virtue ONLY there to free them?..lmao..

Like I've already written, I hope the Libyan people kick gadfafis ass.. along with all foreigners dumb enough to go where they are uninvited & unwanted.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Oh care to analyze the people Ghadaffi is fighting against? The Muslim brotherhood? How about the fact that 20% of the foreign al qaeda forces are drawn from eastern libya where the rebels are based.

What do you think they intend towards Israel and the US once they secure their terrorist strongholds?

Gaddafi is good pals with both MB and AQ in my humble opinion. Even though he pretends that its AQ leading the revolution. I wouldnt trust the words of a desperate dictator.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

I was wondering when Al Qaeda would get mentioned.

If they are as omnipotent as we've all been led to believe, then why isn't the west mentioning them? You think Al Qaeda would take advantage of this situation?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

British MPs backed the military action in Libya in a 557-13 vote late on Monday. John Baron, a Conservative, voted against, and in a BBC interview he explained why: "Once again, we could be seen to be meddling in a Muslim country. We're told the Arab League and our Arab allies want to put in a no-fly zone - why not let them get on and do it. After all, we've been supplying them with the weaponry and the capability for decades now. They have some very sophisticated stuff. And my concern also is, what is the exit strategy? What is the end game? Because if this is not known, we risk being drawn into an ill-defined mission, while civilian casualties rise."

BBC News

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Libyan bombing "unconstitutional", Republicans warn Obama

President Obama sent a letter defending the Libya intervention to members of Congress on Monday in an effort to quell a growing rebellion over his failure to consult the Senate and the House of Representatives before embarking on the third major military action of his presidency.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

An anonymous caller in Tripoli tells BBC World Have Your Say a story told to her by a friend: "She was in the bakery and she talked to a nine-year-old boy. She asked him: 'Where are you from?' He said: 'I'm from Benghazi, we just ran away. They [the rebels] force us to have a new flag. They went door by door, they gave us a flag and they said you have to put it outside your houses. One of our neighbours said 'I don't want the flag'. They hit him, they gave him a bullet in his heart'."

BBC News

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

An anonymous caller in Tripoli tells BBC World Have Your Say a story told to her by a friend: "She was in the bakery and she talked to a nine-year-old boy. She asked him: 'Where are you from?' He said: 'I'm from Benghazi, we just ran away. They [the rebels] force us to have a new flag. They went door by door, they gave us a flag and they said you have to put it outside your houses. One of our neighbours said 'I don't want the flag'. They hit him, they gave him a bullet in his heart'."

BBC News

al-Qaeda is getting hot

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

BBC News

LOL if anyone believes that

There are hundreds and hundreds of western media in Benghazi who can roam around the city freely reporting what they wish with out restrictions, unlike Tripoli they are kept on a leash and only see what Gaddafi wants them to see and report, and that tells you "everything you need to know",

BREAKING NEWS!!!

M.O.D just give a press update on operations in Libya and are reporting Gaddafi has burned down a mosque in Az Zawiyah, they provided photo evidence from sat imagery or aerial reconnaissance, he goes on to say if you really want to see the resolve of Gaddafi and his forces then went to the slide show with the pictures of the burned down mosque,

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates, who is in Moscow, has said some people in Russia seem to believe what he called Col Gaddafi's "lies" about civilian casualties in Libya: "We've been very careful about this, and it's almost as though some people here are taking at face value Gaddafi's claims about the number of civilian casualties, which as far as I am concerned are just outright lies," he told reporters after talks with the Russian defence minister.

BBC News

So is he trying to claim there have been no civilian casualties caused at all by western air strikes? I find that very hard to believe. I just don't think we're being shown any....and if we are we're told Gaddafi is responsible, which I've no doubt he is for many of them. However to imply that we haven't caused any civilian casualties is disingenuous to the extreme.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Latest News:

Romania are sending a Frigate with 200 personel

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates, who is in Moscow, has said some people in Russia seem to believe what he called Col Gaddafi's "lies" about civilian casualties in Libya: "We've been very careful about this, and it's almost as though some people here are taking at face value Gaddafi's claims about the number of civilian casualties, which as far as I am concerned are just outright lies," he told reporters after talks with the Russian defence minister.

BBC News

So is he trying to claim there have been no civilian casualties caused at all by western air strikes? I find that very hard to believe. I just don't think we're being shown any....and if we are we're told Gaddafi is responsible, which I've no doubt he is for many of them. However to imply that we haven't caused any civilian casualties is disingenuous to the extreme.

Do you know how precise the missiles are? Well i do and when the Libyan state TV says that we have caused 100's of civilian deaths its obviously PROPAGANDA, have you heard of this word? its probably one of the greatest tools used during wartime because of how many people it sucks in, you must remember how many times Gaddafi has lied to the international community, he is a huge liar and will go to any length to make us look bad and try to turn people against us.... and it looks like its working on some people.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here is a very interesting read: www.thedailybeast.com...#

"The reason why neither President Obama nor his coalition partners in Britain and France can state a coherent goal for Libya is that none of them have any central interest in the outcome there."

----------

"So now comes the ultimate hypocrisy—the one of intoning that a sin is so mortal and a threat so deadly that only somebody else can do the job. Remember the West's joy after the Arab League's blessing of a no-fly zone? Foreign policy experts reacted as if Arabs were putting aside their Arab-first cloak and actually joining the hated Westerners in humanitarian military action. In reality, however, they were just saying, "You do it."

edit on 22-3-2011 by 0011100 because: edited, because the html code isn't working right.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
For all those who freely criticise western powers, espacially USA for the strikes on the air defences and the advance upon exterminating a city full of people by the Beast, where were they when Gaddafi saw fit to torture and mass murder his own fellow citizens???!!

For all their outcry and fellowship to Gaddafi, and nonsensical claims of swamp gas, balloons, chinese lanterns and Gaddafi's teddy bear, almost everything under the sun being the intentions of the humanitarian strike to stop the beast 's slaughter, had they managed to convince Gaddafi to stop even an inch when the first bullet tore through the bodies of unarmed civilians whom merely pleaded for succor?

Had they done ANYTHING effective AT ALL??????

None.

This had been all about our fellow Libyan human brothers and sisters whom merely wish for a better admistration after being despised for 42 years by their leader whom had use the nation's wealth to court and create an African empire for himself and sons. May they succeed better now with what majority of our enlightened world had to face and give to help them gain their freedom.

Hugo Chaves and the whole rotten bunch will face wrath from their own people soon. They are not blind and uneducated as before to realize truths and realities. The awakened masses will stand dictatorship no more, nor the hailstorm of bullets in the fight for freedom after centuries of slaving for the elite few.

Gaddafi saw fit to torture and mass murder his own fellow citizens???!!....bush saw fit to torture and mass murder other nations citizens based on lies... how many of our fellow Iraqi, Afghani & muslim human brothers could have saved 9 years ago had the UN imposed a NFZ over Iraq & Afghanistan!!..

Hugo Chaves and the whole rotten bunch will face wrath from their own people soon.. just like Arab puppets of the US are feeling it now!!.. power to the people!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

BBC News

Do you know how precise the missiles are? Well i do and when the Libyan state TV says that we have caused 100's of civilian deaths its obviously PROPAGANDA, have you heard of this word? its probably one of the greatest tools used during wartime because of how many people it sucks in, you must remember how many times Gaddafi has lied to the international community, he is a huge liar and will go to any length to make us look bad and try to turn people against us.... and it looks like its working on some people.

You say it's all propaganda yet you blindly believe everything the news tells you. The news that have blatantly lied and deceived before, unless you're there with video footage there is noway to know for sure if there are civilians casualties directly linked to the coalition air strikes.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
the UK metro paper headline this morning is

"americans bomb helpers " ,

I havent read the story nor do I intend to , but every person in britain this morning who uses public transport this morning will read it .
More propaganda??

we are receiving such a wide variety of headlines right now , who knows what the truth is , the only truth I can imagine is a whole bunch of innocent people are dying

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I'm well aware of propaganda.

However I am also well aware of how accurate these missiles are.

I've seen their "accuracy" in Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan.

So you're telling me you honestly believe no one civilian has been killed?

Personally I think that's absurd. If civilians have been killed the media (well the American media especially) isn't going to show us. They learnt this lesson a long time ago.

Also I never said I believed hundreds had been killed. I just stated that to say none at all had been killed seemed somewhat unlikely.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JRCrowley

Is that why everybody looks to America when their in trouble or need? Is that why America is always there to clean up after everybody else? Nobody likes to be punished or told what to do by their own parents when growing up, but when they are in knee deep full of their own mistakes and can't get out, they always look for mom and dad to bail them out. USA= mom and dad of the free world.

Greatest example: France

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join