It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allied Forces Begin Military Action Against Libya - Live Updates

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Are there any supporters of gaddafi in which would be helping him fight the U.N or is he on his own ? Ground troops are going to be needed eventually lets hope things go smooth so there no problems for them when they arrive...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimevoyager
Sir, I respectfully decline that statement. Harriers are still in use in the Navy as well as the Marine Corps.

He's talking about the UK Harriers, not the wonky ones you Americans use.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I personally think we won't have to 'put' boots on the ground. It just doesn't seem prudent.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yes I agree with that, however the public stated reason that is being bandied around is that this is about population protection.

That was the "official" reason of the need for a resolution for a no fly zone. This is why I say it is a manufactured excuse on the grounds that the specific terms of the resolution were virtually 100% guaranteed to be broken by Ghadaffi. And that is why the French were basically poised to strike the minute the res was passed in the UN. They were just waiting for the Paris meeting to get overall backing from the EU too.

And that was that.

If they're going after regime change in an advertised way, they risk losing support of the A.L (according to the Former Ambassador to S/A) as they know full well that with the ME the way it is at the moment. if the AL support a regime change publicly, they could risk further uprising in their own countries, so best for them, for now, to be seen supporting a humanitarian effort. which might calm things also at home.

catch 22 for them as far as I see. and if things get worse, that support will melt away. leaving NATO well exposed.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Thing is (and is a shot in the foot to all those who claim this is for Oil) is that Gaddafi could have avoided all of this by not being a total douche and give some reforms to his people. The rebellion would have dried up, he would still be in power and everyone would leave him alone.

He had warning after warning after warning, now is the time for action.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As people have already mentioned, what will happen next?

If Colonel Bin Hussein or whatever he's called (I'll just call him Boogeyman Number 321) doesn't leave or isn't overthrown by the rebels, what then?

I don't think the west have thought this through very clearly. Infact they probably have and I bet they have plans for troop deployments already, just as a precuation.

They keep saying this is the start of a multi-phase operation, whatever that means....

All I can say is, people have very short memories....

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
For the last twenty years all the West's wars have turned around one thing, that is, if one discounts the propaganda about "human rights" "genocide" "massacres" "weapons of mass destruction" "barbarism" "madmen" and all the rest of it; behind all the wars there's been one over-riding factor - access to and control of vital resources - specifically - OIL.

This is of course difficult to accept, despite the mountain of hard evidence supporting this anlysis, because, if true, this would make our democratic leaders look little better than Chicago-style gangsters involved in massive, global, racket. And if this is true, that our leaders are merely gangsters, then this means that our democracy is quite what it appears to be on the surface, and I'm sure we don't want to go down that particular road. So it's far easier and safer to accept the fairytales we'er told rather than the brutal truth.

The worst thing is that we are on a definite historic trajectory coming from war and leading towards more wars. They are coming because the West needs energy, is in decline economically, and war is about all we've got left open to us. We intend to go down fighting, like most empires do. The great, historic, irony; and tragedy, that imperialist wars don't delay, but actually increase the rate of imperial decline, is lost on our ruling elite, who have become drunk on their own brazen propaganda.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BeenieWeenie

You nailed it!

I think majority of the people in the West know the truth but the reason they ignore it is because they themselves have alot to gain from it i.e lower fuel costs, better economy, higher wages etc etc.

Gangsters are only doing their job of supply and profit.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeenieWeenie
For the last twenty years all the West's wars have turned around one thing, that is, if one discounts the propaganda about "human rights" "genocide" "massacres" "weapons of mass destruction" "barbarism" "madmen" and all the rest of it; behind all the wars there's been one over-riding factor - access to and control of vital resources - specifically - OIL.

Ah yes, Serbia and Bosnia are well reknowned for their plentiful Oil supplies. Oh, don't forget Sierra Leonne, that well known Oil country and Somalia, the Horn of Africa's answer to Kuwait.

Bit of a stretch to claim "all the West's wars are about Oil", isn't it?

People have short memories and if they do remember things, it seems to be highly selective.

Do explain how Libya is an "Oil war"?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Last night I was watching the BBC News channel and they were speaking to the former American ambassador to NATO.

He summed up the situation with Libya very succinctly by saying:

"It's a mess."

edit on 20/3/11 by Kram09 because: missed out a word

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I'm not certain.

But doesn't Libya have the seventh largest oil reserves in Africa?

Yes we can shout about human rights which is fine, but don't be selective about that.

Once Colonel Massive Distraction is overthrown, I want to see the War Pigs move into Zimbabwe and Ivory Coast amongst others.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Sleeping with the Enemy

Very interesting article here.

When Mr Blair was Prime Minister he played a major role in a s350million deal to give the evil dictator anti-tank missiles and the latest battlefield radio system.

Who would have thought it?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Libya has the largest proven oil reserves in Africa. Here's a link:
.www.eia.doe.gov...

Its ranked 9th in the world for proven oil reserves. Most of its exports go to mainland europe, about 15% to france. Make no mistake, oil is the driving force behind this, regardless of valid humanitarian reasons. This is 'Europe's Iraq war'.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
But doesn't Libya have the seventh largest oil reserves in Africa?

Ninth it seems, but production wise they rank much lower than that. Barely 1 mil barrels a day before all this kicked off.

Once Colonel Massive Distraction is overthrown, I want to see the War Pigs move into Zimbabwe and Ivory Coast amongst others.

The French lead the UN Peacekeeping mission in the Ivory Coast and have a battalion stationed there.

Zimbabwe is, for the most part, sorting itself out. The MDC has some power, although it isn't perfect. What do you propose?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Sleeping with the Enemy

Very interesting article here.

When Mr Blair was Prime Minister he played a major role in a s350million deal to give the evil dictator anti-tank missiles and the latest battlefield radio system.

Who would have thought it?

I will point out that the only deal the UK actually completed was the radio system one. The Anti-tank missiles are actually French and the Rapier was never sold. The article seems to ignore some easily available facts.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Quite right, quite right.

However this was fairly recent.

2007 I believe?

So, it's not like it was 20 years ago. They knew he was a mad dictator then, yet it didn't really matter did it?

Also Libya have the 9th largest proven oil reserves in the world. Which I know is what you said.

CIA World Fact Book: Libya

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Could someone please clarify for me if Australian troops are being deployed as I only heard USA, UK, Canada and France are involved.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
People keep saying it's all about stealing oil. It's not, it's all about control and supply. These Elitist parasites want to control everything including oil, gas, water and food and hold us all to ransom and anyone who doesn't play ball will be taken care of.

edit on 20-3-2011 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
“Congress shall have power to declare War.”

This is highly unconstitutional. For the people by the people no longer holds any weight. We the people no longer have a voice in our country.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
What I suggest, is that the Imperalists put their money where their mouth is and actively starts a huge campaign to rid the world of dictators.

Start with Libya, then let's go with Bahrain and Saudi Arabia (because aren't they using lethal force against protesters?), then Zimbabwe, then the big one North Korea and also Myanmar and China.

I think that's fair enough personally, if we are so concerned about human rights.

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join