It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allied Forces Begin Military Action Against Libya - Live Updates

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I don't think so. They are not supposed to deploy ground forces, I think. The rebels are supposed to do this work.
edit on 19-3-2011 by ickylevel because: (no reason given)
I guarantee that there are SAS and USAF forward air controllers doing target assessment and painting live targets with lasers to guide in bombs. That is probably how the vehicle was taken out.

Edit to add: Having eyes on the ground is the only way to minimize friendly fire and collateral damage in Benghazi considering rebel and government units are intermixed in an urban environment.
edit on 3/19/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
AJE is reporting in their "Breaking News" that a French fighter pilot has engaged a pro-Gadaffi military target. CNN confirms.

Update: AJ is reporting that it was not one tank, but four tanks that were engaged.

Al Jazeera English

AJE live stream is also reporting that English ships are enforced a naval blockade as well.

A rebel plane was shot down by pro-Gaddafi forces as well. They are using anti-aircraft weapons, so I will guess those are the next targets.
Rebel Plane Shot Down

edit on 3/19/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Guardian - UN Res 1973

Link to the full text of the resolution 1973

On a side note, at every opportunity I find it odd both BO and HC keep making strong reference to this by name. again and again.

If they have Arab support what is to fear.

Hmmmmm, who might take advantage of this.

oooh Israel just asked for a strike on Iran.

Bahrain is getting paid off, but if Iran stirs up things in the Shi'te population in Saudi Arabia. then it will get messy. I think the US is staying in reserve for that eventuality.

Could this be the reason why the entire diplomatic corps were recalled the other month? they knew this was coming?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Agreed, there needs to be live recce's going on.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
These multi decade ruling dictators of the world need to realize their days are numbered...

I think that applies to all of humanity if we continue on this crazy path. Its #ing ridiculous, the people behind this are doing this for personal gain, and to hell with the planet and all its inhabitants. As usual, it is the innocent who will suffer while the guilty reap their spoils.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Konah

This is the question. Where did the "rebels" as they have been dubbed get a full on fighter jet and the capabilty to operate it, considering that a few weeks ago this was a popular uprising????

It all smells

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is very diferent from Iraq or Afghanistan.Lybia is no match, in military terms against almost any NATO country.France alone is more than enough.But i am afraid that this ''intervention'' is related with Japan.
I can't get my words in order...to much is happening lately.

I try to start with Lybia first.
1.Ghadaffi is a nut, but he have enough nuts like him who support him, nuts that CAN and probably WILL try to do terror attacks in Europe.
2.The fact that the intervention started in same day with announcements from Japan that they have power lines for water pupms to cool the reactors (which i don't beleive they have) and with the earlier statements of finding radiation in potable water in Tokyo, makes me think that the attack in Lybia is to ''cool'' down the attention on Japan.
3.The Palestinians fired 54 mortars into Israel.Israel retaliated. (might sounds is off topic, but bare with me).
4.Yemen and Bahrain are having, first one, deadly reprisals against protesters, and second one, foreign troops to also fight with the protesters.

What i see now is this : Now, with so many info sources, i expected that will be many events in the world, that will be very close in time.It is going to be a tsunami of info, that will lead to normal ppl getting at least anxious, if not panicated.
Imagine this scenario:
T1: Radiation increase in and around Tokyo
T1 + 20 min: Ghaddafi forces shot down a France plane
T1+ 40 min : A palestinian rocket wounds / kills (insert number) israelis
T1 + 1 hour : A suicide bomber detonates in a mall in Paris
T1 + 2 hours : NATO bombs Tripoli, mistakeli killing a number of civilians.
T1 + 3 hours: Syrians protesters fight with Police in Damascus.Casualties reported
T1 + 4 hours: Fukushima colling process failed at reactor X (they have 6)
T1 + 5 hours: Israeli planes kill (insert number) palestinians.
T1 + 6 hours : Hezbollah does soemthing.
T1 + 7 hours : ....whatever you want, related to Lybia, Japan, Syria, Israel etc.

I think that the timing of this intervention, with China and Russia NOT OPOSSING to this, with US already in deep # (economicaly and kinda stretched militarily), with Japan on the edge of at least a lose on Nikkei, with Palestinians firing 54 mortars in 15 minutes window...this leads me to beleive that something REALLY bIG is on the cooking.

I for one, beleive that the US is on edge of collapse, Japan is most likely in deep # also.This will lead to EU markets to fall, and fall hard...and what is better than a fcking war?
I mean, in the last 6 hours we had :
-Japan is fine, power lines in place, blabla
-radiation in potable water in Tokio
-palestinians think it is time to fire 54 mortars into Israel
-france jets pewpew in Lybia

I think is to much...but i am probably mistaken.I expect much more tsunami infos, all with bad infos.

I don't know...maybe its just a concidence that all this info that all are watching, are coming so shortly one after the other.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Sky has just had pictures coming in of doctors in Libya treating a serverly injured person. No details, but he was seriously messed up!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
america needs money, war makes money, libya has a madman at the wheel, lets make some money. "The rich get richer , the poor get the picture!" (midnight oil)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by Konah

This is the question. Where did the "rebels" as they have been dubbed get a full on fighter jet and the capabilty to operate it, considering that a few weeks ago this was a popular uprising????

It all smells

My question exactly. Seems a fellow below has a better explanation than I could provide, see below.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Veryh interesting and somewhat alrmist. I see this Libyan action over within 48-72 hours. Not seeing much else going to be quite honest.

Originally posted by Recollector
This is very diferent from Iraq or Afghanistan.Lybia is no match, in military terms against almost any NATO country.France alone is more than enough.But i am afraid that this ''intervention'' is related with Japan.
I can't get my words in order...to much is happening lately.

I try to start with Lybia first.
1.Ghadaffi is a nut, but he have enough nuts like him who support him, nuts that CAN and probably WILL try to do terror attacks in Europe.
2.The fact that the intervention started in same day with announcements from Japan that they have power lines for water pupms to cool the reactors (which i don't beleive they have) and with the earlier statements of finding radiation in potable water in Tokyo, makes me think that the attack in Lybia is to ''cool'' down the attention on Japan.
3.The Palestinians fired 54 mortars into Israel.Israel retaliated. (might sounds is off topic, but bare with me).
4.Yemen and Bahrain are having, first one, deadly reprisals against protesters, and second one, foreign troops to also fight with the protesters.

What i see now is this : Now, with so many info sources, i expected that will be many events in the world, that will be very close in time.It is going to be a tsunami of info, that will lead to normal ppl getting at least anxious, if not panicated.
Imagine this scenario:
T1: Radiation increase in and around Tokyo
T1 + 20 min: Ghaddafi forces shot down a France plane
T1+ 40 min : A palestinian rocket wounds / kills (insert number) israelis
T1 + 1 hour : A suicide bomber detonates in a mall in Paris
T1 + 2 hours : NATO bombs Tripoli, mistakeli killing a number of civilians.
T1 + 3 hours: Syrians protesters fight with Police in Damascus.Casualties reported
T1 + 4 hours: Fukushima colling process failed at reactor X (they have 6)
T1 + 5 hours: Israeli planes kill (insert number) palestinians.
T1 + 6 hours : Hezbollah does soemthing.
T1 + 7 hours : ....whatever you want, related to Lybia, Japan, Syria, Israel etc.

I think that the timing of this intervention, with China and Russia NOT OPOSSING to this, with US already in deep # (economicaly and kinda stretched militarily), with Japan on the edge of at least a lose on Nikkei, with Palestinians firing 54 mortars in 15 minutes window...this leads me to beleive that something REALLY bIG is on the cooking.

I for one, beleive that the US is on edge of collapse, Japan is most likely in deep # also.This will lead to EU markets to fall, and fall hard...and what is better than a fcking war?
I mean, in the last 6 hours we had :
-Japan is fine, power lines in place, blabla
-radiation in potable water in Tokio
-palestinians think it is time to fire 54 mortars into Israel
-france jets pewpew in Lybia

I think is to much...but i am probably mistaken.I expect much more tsunami infos, all with bad infos.

I don't know...maybe its just a concidence that all this info that all are watching, are coming so shortly one after the other.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Recollector

Agreed, the Breaking News ticker in he media has been running red hot the last few days.

Found it suspicious that Japan, as serious, as it is got pushed to the side. However now things have started, it seems to be running as a background story.

Word from zerohedge that the US is cash broke. Maybe again this is why they are holding back.

Something BIG I agree is getting masked. from the people.

what it is I feel is close to breaking.

link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Turn on CNN it says French plane opens fire on Libyan tank! First blood

www.cnn.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)
wss the tank flying ?.. i thought we where just to stop planes flying...seems they are lying to us already....

link   

Originally posted by ickylevel
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I don't think so. They are not supposed to deploy ground forces, I think. The rebels are supposed to do this work.
edit on 19-3-2011 by ickylevel because: (no reason given)

The resolution is nice and ambiguous and it only prohibits an “occupation force”. So as long as your men on the ground are not there specifically to "occupy"...

Special forces have been in Libya since February and they're not about to leave now.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konah
AJE live stream is also reporting that English ships are enforced a naval blockade as well.

In defence of my Scots, Irish, Welsh and Commonwealth friends, it isn't an English ship. England hasn't had a Navy since 1707.

Originally posted by Konah
A rebel plane was shot down by pro-Gaddafi forces as well. They are using anti-aircraft weapons, so I will guess those are the next targets.
Rebel Plane Shot Down

I personally think, having looked at the video, that it was engine failure. But is serves the rebels well to claim it was "shot down", both for morale and to entice the West to respond.

reply to post by Konah

It all smells

I sometimes wonder if I am rather sad because I seem to be one of the few that has followed this thing from start to finish and remember's things.

At the beggining of the uprising, Libyan Army, Air force and some Navy defected. The rebels also took several airfields with aircraft in them. There was a report a few weeks back of the rebels and the few pilots they have trying to get these aircraft airworthy. Looks like they have managed that, albeit not very well.

No fishyness or strange stenches. It's rather simple and a bit less exciting.

Rebels captured planes - rebels fixed planes - rebels flew planes - rebels crashed plane.
edit on 19/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
They have the okay from the UN to take out the Libyan Air Force,anti-aircraft guns, and ground attack vehicles. Basically, they can bomb pretty much anywhere they want.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

That is the thing. the called it a no fly zone, however put in to place certain conditions in which miltary force would be used.

They were so impossible to be met, the French jumped right out and put plane up as soon as the UN passed the resolution.

Because THEY KNEW it could only end one way. and that was with air strikes.

What I want to know, what are these "unique capabilities" the US has that will be used by the US

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Konah

It all smells

RABAT, March 15 (Reuters) - An opposition Libyan online newspaper on Tuesday said a rebel MiG 23 warplane and a helicopter sank two pro-Gaddafi warships off the eastern coast near the front line of land battles at Adjabiyah.

The Brnieq website quoted an unnamed air force officer at the Benina airbase in rebel-held Benghazi as saying the aircraft also bombed an unspecified number of tanks near Brega and Ajdebiya.

Those two towns fell to troops of Muammar Gaddafi on Tuesday as his army advanced eastwards towards Benghazi.

It was not clear where the two aircraft took off from. The airbase at Benghazi switched to rebel control when the opposition took charge of the city and several air force officers have been among military men who joined the opposition. (Reporting by Souhail Karam, writing by Tom Heneghan; Editing by Matthew Jones)

uk.reuters.com...

The opposition also claimed to have hit a third naval ship in the air attack, according to opposition website Libya al-Youm.

A number of army generals and soldiers, particularly in the Libyan Air Force, have defected to join the rebels and have an arsenal of weapons and fighter jets at their disposal.

blogs.aljazeera.net...
edit on 3/19/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
6:50 p.m. Update Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has close ties with Colonel Gaddafi has condemned the French air attacks. He calls them "irresponsible" and called for a cease-fire. (AFP)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stu,

You make sense, and you are not the only sad one
I did hear of Libyan Air Force *defecting" to Malta.

However some turn coating was expected by certain elements, but a whole operational base where they could "safely" launch aircraft from, complete with armaments?? that's a little more than some units defecting,

But I agree with the comment on the Rebels aircraft engineering skills!
edit on 19/3/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join