It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Some critics of Japanese storage system see a worse-than-Chernobyl scenario ahead

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueShift

My guess is something goes bang and people die we will be told just enough.

If they get control and avoid disaster all deaths will be put down to the quake.

Full discloser, never.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So in Unit 3 at the Fukashima reactor there is no longer a pool that can be filled with water, and the spent fuel rods must be lying in a broken twisted tangle on top of the reactor. Because the chaos can seriously inhibit the flow of coolant around the reactor, the reactor has a much higher probability of reaching the 641 C threshold for a meltdown.

Not only is the flow of water inhibited, but it has to remove a much larger quantity of heat now that 40 years of accumulated waste that itself requires cooling is packed around the reactor.

Their “last resort” solution of burying the reactor complex in sand and cement won’t work, because if the 279 kg of plutonium in the Unit 3 reactor reaches criticality, it would take a veritable mountain of reinforced cement to contain the resulting blast.

The only think I can think of that might contain the situation is if they dig or excavate with explosives a U-shaped channel to the rear of the reactor, close off the channel entrance, open a channel on the seaward side of the reactor, and pump large quantities of seawater into the channel to try and break up the concentration by a ‘reverse tsunami’ flush that carries the reactor remains out to sea.

It’s dirty and will require a long cleanup process, but anything is better that a supercritical explosion that takes out the entire complex of six reactors with their combined forty year inventory of accumulate nuclear waste, and possibly a very great deal more.
edit on 23-3-2011 by aethron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Watching NHK World this evening it's clear they've clearly lost control at several locations and can't keep the waste from heating up and bursting into flames over and over.

People keep trying to play this down, but reading between the lines since it happened, I'm almost certain this tragedy will be worse than Chernobyl.

I mean, can you imagine a modern world city of 30 MILLION people where the babies and toddlers cannot drink the tap-water due to 'Radiation'? totally unprecedented.

AND THAT IS JUST THE START

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here it comes, check it out:

www.alternet.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join