It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Some critics of Japanese storage system see a worse-than-Chernobyl scenario ahead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
I like Screwed's enthusiasm.

Why don't they just entomb the damn things? Why...?

These events are being orchestrated by a black hand.

Its too hot to entomb. They didn't get it cooled down enough to do that.

To everyone: It was worse than Chernobyl when the mushroom cloud occurred near the beginning. Mox fuel and plutonian with fission insured that.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

No wonder Michio Kaku is now calling for boron-based entombment.

Kaku is currently promoting his latest book and will say anything to get peoples attention

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
He's just trying to look good, when the dust settles, and its also posturing. They can't entomb it unless it cools. Mind you, he did say to just get that ready, and wait. That isn't bad, I hope to heck they are waiting thinking this might happen. All they can do is buy time, before chain reactions occur.

Mox fuel is fissionable. And they have enough of it in Japan to make 60 nukes. If a chain reaction occurs, just what are we looking at anyway?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yeah, in my eyes, it was worse than Chernobyl right at the get-go. I even said so. But I'm just a little old lady conspiracy theorist. What do I know, eh?

edit on 3/19/2011 by Amaterasu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

What do you know? Uhhh, more than the Japanese and American governments and all their "experts."

I've been telling my mother the same thing.

At first she said, "you're not a nuclear scientist."

I replied, "you should feel lucky I'm not or you'd never hear the truth!"

As for Michio Kaku, he was the media "expert" who claimed that obvious missile launch off the coast of LA a few months ago was really a plane contrail. And he sounded like a total idiot on Coast To Coast with his inane pie-in-the-sky future predictions.

edit on 3/19/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

If you believe the lie then it is, and will be YOUR FAULT when you come down with cancer in 20 years.

I hate to break it to you but, If enough radiation is released to have caused a health threat to the west coast, then the east coast will be screwed also. There is no magic force field east of CA, OR, WA that will protect you. The time it takes for the radiation to travel to the east coast from the west is alot shorter then the time it took to get to the west coast from Japan.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
reply to post by Amaterasu

What do you know? Uhhh, more than the Japanese and American governments and all their "experts?"

I've been telling my mother the same thing.

At first she said, "you're not a nuclear scientist."

I replied, "you should feel lucky I'm not or you'd never hear the truth!"

[nods vigorously] Yeah, tell me about it.

As for Michio Kaku, he was the media "expert" who claimed that obvious missile launch off the coast of LA a few months ago was really a plane contrail. And he sounded like a total idiot on Coast To Coast with his inane pie-in-the-sky future predictions.

I'm a tad disappointed in Kaku, too. Launch from Vandenberg? (I had not been aware of this launch, but then, my life is strife at the mo' - but I presume Vandenberg, because that's about where I'd expect it to be - if that's LA, CA and not the state...)

Given that, I have my eye on him.
edit on 3/19/2011 by Amaterasu because: tags

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Wed better educate ourselves in the ways of reading the doses we may be getting i suppose.
There are these thiings called dosimeters...they wear them on their clothes and it will tell when youve had enough.....
perhaps these would be xxheaper to distibute to the people and would set many peoples minds at rest.
Im sure thinkiing of picking one up if possible.
The idea of finding a geiger counter for sale will be laughable in a week at this rate.
There is NO doubt that Japan has dropped the ball on this one, and the consequences may be bigger than we yet know.
Where is all this stockpile of MOX?not at Fukijima is assume.....
How about the Onagawa reactor that was hopeless last i heard?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There were 6 hundred thousand ( if I am not mistaken) spent rods stored on the roof that went boomb
and blew 2 thirds of a mile staright up...just one thing

This radiation will add to the accumulating contamination in the world and will eventually start to show up statistically every where.
in the migrating contaminated animals and in the dust that blows from continant to continant

A froggy in a pot type scene slowly coming to a glowing boil

Before nuclear technology cancer was basically unheard of the canadian government forcast that half the population coming down with a disease caused and cured by radiation...
Though 90 some odd percent of Doctors won't take it to save thier lives
go figure

Anne Coulter says radiation is good for you
And she would noe
Every person radiation kills is one person less between here and the Miss universe title she covets so much but can only win when the field is thinned out a bit more

edit on 19-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I read an article I'll find it in a bit. It was over 600 rods, and over 11 000 spent fuel rods. And its a huge thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I read an article I'll find it in a bit. It was over 600 rods, and over 11 000 spent fuel rods. And its a huge thing.
At that one plant alone, and the other one is having troubles with mox fuel too.

Here is one that is far far far worse, my.firedoglake.com...-229446
it talks about the number in each pool, potentially, ie. if they were fudging what they reveal this is outrageous, over 600 000 could be there based on the design how they used it.

But, what I'm lookng for is what I read where the head of the Tokyo Electric company admitted directly that there was 11 100 plus something spent fuel rods in Fukashima plant, and its a question of wording the search in the same manner, which means I'll be stuck for some time, but it was a regular news article such as cnn or fox.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

thanks Unity I wasn't sure if I had heard right about that number....
shortwave....

yeah big and bad
storage on the roof.....
*sigh*

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Wed better educate ourselves in the ways of reading the doses we may be getting i suppose.
There are these thiings called dosimeters...they wear them on their clothes and it will tell when youve had enough.....
perhaps these would be xxheaper to distibute to the people and would set many peoples minds at rest.
Im sure thinkiing of picking one up if possible.
The idea of finding a geiger counter for sale will be laughable in a week at this rate.
There is NO doubt that Japan has dropped the ball on this one, and the consequences may be bigger than we yet know.
Where is all this stockpile of MOX?not at Fukijima is assume.....
How about the Onagawa reactor that was hopeless last i heard?

Originally posted by Danbones
There were 6 hundred thousand ( if I am not mistaken) spent rods stored on the roof that went boomb
and blew 2 thirds of a mile staright up...just one thing

This radiation will add to the accumulating contamination in the world and will eventually start to show up statistically every where.
in the migrating contaminated animals and in the dust that blows from continant to continant

A froggy in a pot type scene slowly coming to a glowing boil

Before nuclear technology cancer was basically unheard of the canadian government forcast that half the population coming down with a disease caused and cured by radiation...
Though 90 some odd percent of Doctors won't take it to save thier lives
go figure

Anne Coulter says radiation is good for you
And she would noe
Every person radiation kills is one person less between here and the Miss universe title she covets so much but can only win when the field is thinned out a bit more

To both of you, I would give the Hundred Star Award. I tell you what.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This still has a long way to go to reach Chernobyl, When it fully melts down, explodes in every direction sending pieces of the core in all directions, increases it's radioactive levels that are spreading by 1000 times like the carbon at Chernobyl did then we can compare it.

The only thing so far that comes close is probly the spent fuel rods, which was really just stupid to keep on site IMHO

This situation is bad, REEEAAAAAALLLLY BAAAAAAAAAD.

But you really should look at Chernobyl more before you compare them.

And actually compare them, not just say how bad this is, actually compare the two.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alina
This still has a long way to go to reach Chernobyl, When it fully melts down, explodes in every direction sending pieces of the core in all directions, increases it's radioactive levels that are spreading by 1000 times like the carbon at Chernobyl did then we can compare it.

The only thing so far that comes close is probly the spent fuel rods, which was really just stupid to keep on site IMHO

This situation is bad, REEEAAAAAALLLLY BAAAAAAAAAD.

But you really should look at Chernobyl more before you compare them.

And actually compare them, not just say how bad this is, actually compare the two.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least two meltdowns - and one is MOX. I give that 60% probability. On top of spent fuel blown into the air and far and wide. Time will tell. I hope I'm wrong from the depths of my heart.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
And just think...104 plants here in the U.S ...

where do you think we store our spent fuel rods??

same place they did.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
At last, though finding the right wording is not easy:
nuclear-news.net...

Figures provided by the Tokyo Electric Power Company on Thursday show that most of the dangerous uranium at the powerplant is in the spent fuel rods, not the reactor cores.

The company said that a total of 11,195 spent fuel rod assemblies were stored at the site. That is about four times as much radioactive material as in the reactor cores combined…….the zirconium cladding on the fuel rods could burst into flames if exposed to air for hours when a storage pool lost its water

Spent rods the biggest hazard, Sydney Morning Herald, Keith Bradsher and Hiroko Tabuchi, March 19, 2011 YEARS of procrastination in deciding on long-term disposal of highly radioactive fuel rods from nuclear reactors are coming back to haunt Japanese authorities as they try to control fires and explosions at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station.

But potentially it was over 600 000.

here is another link, but now that i have the right number, it popped up everywhere.
www.nytimes.com...
11 195!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
And 23 americans plants are the same as the GE mark one plant that is the worst of the japanese problems.
Anyone's guess as to how many American ( Canadian too) are bulit on fault lines...?

how many rods in an assembly?

Fuel rod assembliesEach "fuel assembly," roughly 15 feet long, is a unit containing 82 fuel rods full of the reactor's fuel: uranium oxide pellets

11197 Times 82 rods per assembly = 917990 rods
eeeps!

edit on 20-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
So how long is it going to take to cool this thing down using sea water? An unmanned sprayer truck is what they're using now. I'm thinking that's going to go 24/7 until they come up with something better. How much contaminated runoff is considered ok for the ocean?

They're finding higher levels of radiation in spinach and milk. Milk is what was so harmful for the children of Chernobyl. Dairy cows grazed on contaminated grass.

I would think if the food crops for an area the size of Japan became contaminated it could be pretty devastating. Imo that alone would put it right up there with Chernobyl. They need to be real careful what they feed their kids.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Most ATS'ers are clever enough to spot MSM misdirection such as we're seeing now. Suddenly the News is full of War, a new one, or another one; and is clearly distracting attention from the real News in Japan. The Nuclear Industry is very powerful and besides, everybody needs the electricity, so nobody's going to cry wolf that can be heard.

What's really happening in Japan, "who knows," as the news appears highly censored and lately is offered in a Pollyanna version, "serious" but "?" "Nothing to see here folks, please move along." And, the worse case scenarios are suddenly in rare supply but probably Tokyo should already have been evacuated. A scene out of Godzilla for sure.

A single speck of Plutonium will cause Cancer in animals and people and some of it it's blowing toward America and Asis as you read this. Until the fires are out it'll continue to spew forth and could increase rapidly immediately especially if more of that hydrogen explodes, which seems likely with hydrogen pockets.

Measured now in the US but left Japan several days ago thus increasingly toxic stuff is still enroute and expected to increase in toxicity. And to say that the radiation exposure is the same as a cat scan seems skewed because the exposure/cat scan is 24/7 in Japan and a significant part of the country might already be, or soon be, contaminated

Iodine tablets are impossible to get now in America, no Iodine on the shelves at the local drug store either, and the local Lumber Yards are sold out of plastic sheet and plywood is going fast. Gee, most of this stuff seems newsworthy to me, doesn't it to you? I'm going to the store today and will laugh if the shelves are emptying as well.

Gosh, I wonder if N95 face masks are still available? And filtered air masks? I presume the smart folks already have supplies taken in and are having a good belly laugh just now. But with Plutonium spreading around at bets are off anyway. The end might be nearer that 2012.

Who will be the first to scream "the sky is falling" (literally). I had plans for a month in Asia but now maybe not; and chances of me flying a Jet Plane through that Jet Stream is pretty small.

edit on 20-3-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join