It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berlin zoo: Beloved polar bear Knut has died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Berlin zoo: Beloved polar bear Knut has died

news.yahoo.com

BERLIN – A Berlin zoo official says world-famous polar bear Knut has died.

Bear keeper Heiner Kloes said that four-year-old Knut died Saturday afternoon while alone in his compound. He says the cause is not yet clear.

Kloes says a post mortem will be conducted on Monday to try to pinpoint his cause of death.

Knut rose to stardom when he was hand-raised by zoo keepers after his mother rejected him at birth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Knut was so awesome, I remember when the crazy animal lover people wanted him killed so he wouldn't have to live in the zoo, I really hope one of those crazy people didn't have anything to do with his death, 'cause you know how crazy they can get. :/

Knut, was only 4 years old and in captivity they can live up to 30 plus years, which is why I have the feeling that that crazy animal people probably had something to do with this, or something like that...

Rest in peace, Knut!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee94b76842cf.jpg[/atsimg]

So sorry to hear this news, may Knut rest in peace.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Sooooo sad!!!!! He was so cute!
Sometimes the mothers can 'smell" when their newborns are sick and reject them...
maybe that's what happened. It's so sad.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
He was so adorable and well loved
Rest in peace Knut!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Whew, glad I didn't miss this breaking story. I'll sleep better tonight, thanks,

brill

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That's so sad
I had a chance to see him the last time I was in Berlin. The sad thing is that since he was such an international hit, he was constantly bombarded with flashes from cameras. They think it's what caused him to become so aggressive, and he was housed separately from the other polar bears. I feel like his popularity caused his early demise. Poor Knut, you will be missed.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Auf wiedersehen Knut!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Maybe mamma really know something?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e66d4c4253c6.jpg[/atsimg]

Knut, Berlin's beloved polar bear, dies in his compound

"He was by himself in his compound, he was in the water, and then he was dead," said Kloes. "He was not sick, we don't know why he died."

This is just unreal. That bear had the best of everything (besides freedom). The best food, care, love, attention... Maybe he just had too much? We’ll know after the necropsy.

How sad...

Berlin's beloved polar bear Knut, who rose to stardom when he was hand-raised by zoo keepers after being rejected by his mother rejected at birth, died on Saturday, a zoo official said.
source

In my opinion it could very well have had to do with his being rejected as a pup. Did he get his mother’s colostrum? If not, that right there could have a great deal to do with his long term health.

Regardless I have a sneaking awful feeling some ‘fan’ of Knut's might have tossed him a ‘loaded’ biscuit. If this is the case I hope they find whoever did it and prosecute to the greatest extent of the law. But, at the moment it’s only my supposition.

Rest in Peace Knut.

peace

Added note: I didn't see your thread until after I created one - so - I'll post it here!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I feel bad for Knut and am not sure if nature should have taken its course when his mother abandoned him. I don't know--maybe she sensed something. Or, maybe nature did take its course by humans feeding and taking care of him so that he got to experience a life (maybe not the ideal one, but a life--same as you or me?) for four years.

I wrote a poem for him based on A.E. Housman's "To an Athlete, Dying Young": www.phoebeclaire.net...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Several more photos of him here:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Should be interesting to find out what happened to him. He will be missed by many....
edit on 3/20/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That's so sad he will be missed..I believe that wild animals should be left in the wild..He might have had everything but he didn't have his freedom

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Found this on youtube,soo sad...I hate seeing animals suffer((... This is how he died
((
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by raxan

That was hard to watch. It looks like he had a seizure of some sort...Your video embedded:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Just checked the news for an update. Looks like it was a brain disease that killed him. Sad.

www.dw-world.de...
edit on 3/22/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join