It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War, Scared?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Would like some comments on war and it's effect on people...

A few years back I was petrified of war and declaring it upon countries.

These days, it just seems to be part of every-day life.

Since the UK announced imminent attacks on Libya, my attitude is just that of *SHRUGS SHOULDERS*

I feel awful for taking that attitude!

Why is war such a normality?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

War only affects the weak and the fools. Strong people aren't affected when they see a soldier get blown into pieces.

War is human nature. To fear war is to fear human nature.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Like Jepic said, it's Human nature, we've been at each others throats (Yes, Pun intended) for such a long time that it has become part of our evolution. Some might argue that every race is like this in a sense. (OFF TOPIC ALERT) What I do fear is in the future when we make contact with other races that we are the only one out of the lot that has such a past that revolves around war, with war brings mis-trust, de-seat.

What I find disturbing and astonishing at the same time that we have adapted in such a way that we can use war to excel, even though not always in the right direction, but excel none the less.

Jamie

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I would blame video games like WOW for our indifference to war and dead soldiers. Wouldn't be surprised if in the future we have soldiers that are mass produced and controlled remotely. The video game would be real.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

"War...War never changes." Similar to how ignorance never changes...

edit on 19-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I know what you mean, i do care but it doesn't really cause an emotional response as it just seem to validate my thoughts on the people in power and i dont really have any power to change the outcome so i try to keep updated and then get on with the things i can change.

also my dad was in the army when the iraq war started, he told me that he would be going to war in iraq back in november 2002, they were just preparing and waiting for the order to come through but he reckoned they had already made the decision they just hadn't sweetened the public enough, i'm sure it was the same with this especially with how quickly they're deploying

Your post made me zone out of reality there as i started to envision it, i'm good at FPS games but i'm not sure i could deal with it; if what i was doing on screen was actually happening somewhere.
edit on 19/3/11 by LanceonW because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
I would blame video games like WOW for our indifference to war and dead soldiers. Wouldn't be surprised if in the future we have soldiers that are mass produced and controlled remotely. The video game would be real.

Someone please explain to me how a game that takes place in a fantasy world, Were you play as warlocks, trolls, etc. has anything to do with the very real reality's of war?

For those who are having a little moral dilemma over this i will answer for you,

It doesn't!! Stop looking for a scape goat. enough said.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I think you are wrong. War must be overcome, a struggle like any other. To say that only the weak are effected, I think you may have a weak mind, or a lack of empathy, or you are hiding you own fear which is the most likely. You are programmed to be disgusted by gore, if you arent you can likely thank years of desensitization for that.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I blame the fact that Americans havent seen war at home for long time, and the memory in western Europe is fading. Wait till a bomb kills your mother or you come across a playground with dead children. Empty stores, cars full of bullet holes, the smell of gunpowder and death.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by deutschbag

I agree completely, i can't provide a source but from what i remember reading, people put under extremely difficult situations (including torture) withdraw from reality or twist it into a less awful one to cope. i.e. people allow themselves to become desensitised because they don't have the strength to face the emotional or physical hardship they are experiencing

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by deutschbag

I'm gonna be honest with you, but the only gore I have seen is in movies, and the thing is that while people were screaming and feeling disturbed when the gore scenes came on, I didn't feel a thing, and yet I knew that what the offender was doing to the victim was sick and wrong. Yet I doubt society made me colder. It's basically in my personality.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

maybe you are a warrior then, some of us are born that way but even the warrior needs a break from struggle we are on 10 years of never ending war now

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LanceonW

What do you mean by "they don't have the strength to face the emotional or physical hardship they are experiencing."?

Once you feel or witness torture, you are already facing the hardship. The key to turning that hardship into inner strength is to accept it, live with it and don't obsess over it. Because the truth is once you witness it, it will be with you for the rest of your life.

What doesn't kill you, can make you stronger.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

War is a normality not only because it is human nature, but because it is the nature of life on this cruel world. It is only human nature to use bullets, bombs, and what have you to wage wars. Everything is at war with each other, but there is a method to the madness. Through the chaos a balance is maintained. .
What makes you shrug at such a traumatic activity is the fact that you have become desensitized of war. It's nothing to really be ashamed of, but if you have loved ones that are going to war or you yourself are going to war you should have some level of fear. Also if you have reason to believe your country and way of life is about to be destroyed fear should come natural.
I myself react to war with anger. I direct it mostly at "the enemy" and the situation in general. Though, I have never had to deal with combat myself nor have I had anyone close to me go to war while I have been alive, so that and the fact that I have confidence in my country has made war unable to strike a lot of fear in me.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

It depends on whether your doing that or denying to yourself that it is happening and ignoring the severity of it. What i was on about was what most people would do and that's to bury there head in the sand. What your on about is actually experiencing what is happening but having the fortitude to accept it, overcome it and continue.

In regards to torture, i'm on about the people who would lose their sanity because they have twisted their reality so much in an attempt to escape as opposed to those who had the strength to accept what was happening to them and eventually overcome it and still continue.
edit on 19/3/11 by LanceonW because: poor sentence construction

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

War only affects the weak and the fools. Strong people aren't affected when they see a soldier get blown into pieces.

War affects everyone. Strong people aren't affected in a way that prevents them from going on when a soldier gets blown to bits in front of them, but only heartless or seriously ill people aren't affected at all. That really requires no strength.
Have you been in combat?.......... seen close friends being torn apart?...........have to deal with the fact that you ripped some other human beings to shreds?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LanceonW

Severity is in the eye of the beholder. What is severe to one person, is less severe to another.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ariess

Way to go... Calling people heartless and mentally ill because they don't feel the pain as much as normal people because of whatever happened to them or because its in their personality. You just insulted the type of person that could be your greatest ally.

And like I said in my first post. Only weak and fools are mentally affected in war. You know what I call people that make friends or emotional connections in a war zone, I call them fools. You have to be a real fool to make friends or form emotional connections with another soldier in a war zone.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I think you've asked an important question

A few years back I was petrified of war and declaring it upon countries.

This is a clue for you - to help answer your own question

...I feel awful for taking that attitude!

Why?

Why is war such a normality?

it's not - it never will be. No matter how common - it will never be acceptable

Anyone who has even a trace of an imagination and a little bit of empathy can imagine what it's like to be in one

At some point not thinking about it or questioning it becomes a simple act of self preservation

It's a delicate balance. How do we consider something so horrific, something usually beyond our ability to control or even affect - and then carry on as if it doesn't touch us?

You're normal - you're human. And - you still care. You'll be fine
edit on 3/19/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: I'm sloppy

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Im not scared of war...Im scared of death...as is everybody...and if George Greens wasn't lying when he said that the NWO depopulation plan is well under way...well...that's not cool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join