It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ive counted 7 Jets and 2 Bigger planes, Prestwick

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Here it the latest quote from the BBC News website...

www.bbc.co.uk...

French aircraft have also flown over "all Libyan territory" on reconnaissance missions, French military sources said earlier.

The French Rafale jets took off from their base at Saint-Dizier in eastern France, a source told the Agence France-Presse news agency

The planes encountered no problems during the first few hours of their mission, the source said, and the flights would continue for the next several hours.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte told journalists at the summit in Paris that he believed British, French and Canadian aircraft would launch the first airstrikes, the BBC's Carole Walker in Paris reports

Like i have said, only reconnaisance missions, no engagement as of yet.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Itop1 because: added source link

UPDATE: 1535: Mirage and Rafale fighter jets are flying over Benghazi and could strike Libyan tanks, a French official tells AP. The official says the French operation could strike Libyan tanks later on Saturday.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Press Association - Sarkozy signals Gaddafi offensive

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said that "as of now" his country's air force is ready to attack the tanks and planes of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to defend the people of Benghazi.

Mr Sarkozy was speaking at the end of an emergency summit in Paris at which world powers, including Britain, joined the Arab League to make the final preparations for military intervention in Libya authorised by the United Nations (UN).

The French president said that, despite a ceasefire announcement on Friday, Gaddafi's forces had flouted the UN's demand for an immediate end to violence against his people.

Mr Sarkozy said: "Our air force will oppose any aggression by Colonel Gaddafi against the population of Benghazi.

"As of now, our aircraft are preventing planes from attacking the town. As of now, other French aircraft are ready to intervene against tanks, armoured vehicles threatening unarmed civilians."

edit on 19-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Are we to believe that air power alone will provide the desired result. We never had had strictly an air campaign solve anything in a concrete manner. They are telling us "no ground forces" today, but as time passes there will have to be ground troops to assist the rebels if the desire is to stabilize (conqueror) the region.

Look for the slow start of air assaults, to be followed by intense bombings, to be followed by ground force troops (of course there will be no choice, we never intended ground troops [Liars]), and another "conflict" not a all out war.

Same old tune, just a different lyric.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The French are up front and center in this???

>shrug

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Itop1

Press Association - Sarkozy signals Gaddafi offensive

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said that "as of now" his country's air force is ready to attack the tanks and planes of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to defend the people of Benghazi.

Mr Sarkozy was speaking at the end of an emergency summit in Paris at which world powers, including Britain, joined the Arab League to make the final preparations for military intervention in Libya authorised by the United Nations (UN).

The French president said that, despite a ceasefire announcement on Friday, Gaddafi's forces had flouted the UN's demand for an immediate end to violence against his people.

Mr Sarkozy said: "Our air force will oppose any aggression by Colonel Gaddafi against the population of Benghazi.

"As of now, our aircraft are preventing planes from attacking the town. As of now, other French aircraft are ready to intervene against tanks, armoured vehicles threatening unarmed civilians."

Yes they "are ready" to intervene, we already know this, and just their presense flying over head would have a positive effect without the need to acctually engage, but in your original post you stated that fighhter jets had already engaged in government forces..... "being ready / preventing" & "being engaged" are not the same...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfpack 51

The US is in a support role only.. This is going to be a EU / ME run show.

Also update from BBC News

French jets over Libya

French military jets are preventing forces loyal to Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi from attacking the rebel-held city of Benghazi, French President Nicolas Sarkozy says.

It is believed to be the first act of intervention since the UN voted on Thursday for a no-fly zone over Libya.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Thats nice... The French President disagrees with you, so take it up with him.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

Thats nice... The French President disagrees with you, so take it up with him.

Your wrong and you know it,what the president has said is available to everyone to read so they will see for themselves that so far its just been recon missions, even the sources you have posted yourself states its been recon so i dont know why you keep argueing this lol.... anyway im obviously not getting anywhere here so all i have to say is get your facts straight in future and dont post false statements

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I am going to assume, even though your profile says Britain, that you are somehow linked to that area of the world. Your insistance that military actions have not occured is wrong, but you seem to be one of those people who only sees what you want while ignoring anything of truth, namely the French President.

Care to explain how the French military intervened and prevented the Libyan airforce / airborne units from their actions over Benghazi? They didnt cross their fingers and wish for it.

But hey.. believe waht you want since anything that contradicts you is written off and followed up with personal attacks, which says a lot about you and your inability to behave like an adult..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

I am going to assume, even though your profile says Britain, that you are somehow linked to that area of the world. Your insistance that military actions have not occured is wrong, but you seem to be one of those people who only sees what you want while ignoring anything of truth, namely the French President.

Care to explain how the French military intervened and prevented the Libyan airforce / airborne units from their actions over Benghazi? They didnt cross their fingers and wish for it.

But hey.. believe waht you want since anything that contradicts you is written off and followed up with personal attacks, which says a lot about you and your inability to behave like an adult..

my last post in this thread, i am british, im from britain and i can read, i will quote your original post

President Sarkozy just held a press conference when the joint meeting ended. He has confirmed allied aircraft are enroute to, and are inside og Libyan airspace, and have already engaged libyan government forces.

And i will say, once more, they have NOT engaged any libyan forces yet, they are preventing by being in the air, and they are doing reconnaissance missions, the Dutch president have said that airstikes could come "possibly" this evening and French forces are ready and in position to act, its just a matter of times before we start bombing.

Out.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

For being British you are surprisingly ignorant in this area. It was stated during the news conference, it has been stated in media outlets, and by the PResident himself.

International jets take action as Gadhafi strikes

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said after an emergency summit in Paris that French jets were already targeting Gadhafi's forces. The 22 participants in Saturday's summit "agreed to put in place all the means necessary, in particular military" to make Gadhafi respect a U.N. Security Council resolution Thursday demanding a cease-fire, Sarkozy said.

Highlighted on the off chance you cant get through the paragraph.

A recap so you might retain the information.

News accounts have stated it... International news accounts have stated it,.. The French Preisdent has stated it.. and the article above states it...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

GRound forces are not allowed, just airstrikes / aircraft interception.

Isn't that kind of how it usually starts? Obama, "we are not sending in ground troops". In the lawerese they usually speak does that mean not sending or not sending yet?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Obama was not even really involved in this mess in the first place. The EU took the lead to put all of this stuff together. The reason for the no fly zone is to protect civilian from targetd airstrikes. Allied forces are authorized to engage ground units, but I am going to go with the assumption that it is one of those if they shoot at the jets, the jets can defend themselves.

When the uprising started, rebel forces held the uppr hand until air units came into play. As far as ground troops go, its not authorized under the UN resolution, just air and sea assests (missile launches from ships).

The rebels are wanting democracy, or their version of it and since its their country, its their choice. Based on the feelings on being involved in 2 wars, there is an overwhelming number of Us citizens who dont want anything to do with this go around, and I agree with that sentiment. We have issues at home we need to fix.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
BBC just reported that first shots have been fired over libya by a French plane.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 19-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

For being British you are surprisingly ignorant in this area. It was stated during the news conference, it has been stated in media outlets, and by the PResident himself.

International jets take action as Gadhafi strikes

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said after an emergency summit in Paris that French jets were already targeting Gadhafi's forces. The 22 participants in Saturday's summit "agreed to put in place all the means necessary, in particular military" to make Gadhafi respect a U.N. Security Council resolution Thursday demanding a cease-fire, Sarkozy said.

Highlighted on the off chance you cant get through the paragraph.

A recap so you might retain the information.

News accounts have stated it... International news accounts have stated it,.. The French Preisdent has stated it.. and the article above states it...

Like i said all along, your information was false.

Update 17:56

@mpoppel: REU: FRENCH PLANE FIRED FIRST SHOT AT 1645 GMT ON A VEHICLE -DEFENCE MINISTRY

1705: Reuters tweets: "French plane fired first shot at 1645 GMT on a vehicle - Defence Ministry

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Yes, you would be wrong. French forces engaged Libyan forces. As I said before, Sarkozy said it in his press conference, the article I posted stated it, and the post above this one states it. Ignoring evidence that does not support your argument, doesnt make your argument correct. I was also looking forward to keeping up your end of the deal when you said it would be your last post.

Apparently you were wrong with the info as well.

So far 20 French air units are inside Libya. The Charles De Gaul (French aircraft carrier) was supposed to head towards Libya on Monday, but has since been moved up and will be deploying from their port on Sunday instead.

The British vessel HMS Charleston (FlagShip im assuming) will be coordinating a naval blockade of Libya.

US Naval assests are prepping to launch missiles as I type this.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

Yes, you would be wrong. French forces engaged Libyan forces. As I said before, Sarkozy said it in his press conference, the article I posted stated it, and the post above this one states it. Ignoring evidence that does not support your argument, doesnt make your argument correct. I was also looking forward to keeping up your end of the deal when you said it would be your last post.

Apparently you were wrong with the info as well.

LOL.... your STILL denying it, and you call me ignorant???
i give up, everyone here on ATS will see you were wrong by reading your replies.... i dont need to defend what i said anymore

Ill also add that your post and the presidents press conference was 2 hours before the engagement acctually took place.... so your statement is completely false.
peace

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Yes, you are wrong.... Again you have been wrong since the begining of this. President Sarkozy says your wrong, and as a matter of fact has done so now in 2 languages. he news media says your wrong, and they do so in more than 4 languages now. Yes, based on all of the information availabe, and your refusal to belive any of it while running the General John Burgoyne game plan, does indeed meet the defitinon of ignorance.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Itop1

The British vessel HMS Charleston (FlagShip im assuming) will be coordinating a naval blockade of Libya.

Royal navy flagship is HMS Ark Royal which is an Aircraft carrier

I dont know of any Royal Navy ship by the name of HMS Charleston ?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

My bad.. HMS Westminster which is a Frigate.. As far as the Flag Ship, I was not referring to their Ship of the Line, but the lead vessel for British forces in the task force. There is suppose to be a total of 6 British ships, and the Westminster is the only one named by MSNBC (not CNN my bad).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join