It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Neglects Soldiers� Combat Trauma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
After the Gulf War they really bent over backwards to identify and take care of those of us suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I thought they did a great job. Unfortunately, they've reverted back to their old ways.
It's tragic.

Combat is not a video game; it is real and it can be traumatic. Does the US Army understand this?
By Gerald Rellick

When a police officer kills someone in the line of duty, he is put on temporary leave and given psychological counseling. The reason for this is simple psychology: killing another human being is emotionally difficult, even if it doesn�t feel that way at first, and even when it�s justified.

In the July 18th Los Angeles Times, staff writer Charles Duhigg explains that this emotional coping assistance is not available to our troops in combat, many of whom have to deal with gruesome deaths and the killing of innocent civilians. According to Duhigg, �The Army defends its approach, saying that if troops think too much about emotional issues in combat situations, it could undermine their effectiveness in battle.�

Said one soldier in Iraq: "I'm confused about how I should feel about killing. The first time I shot someone, it was the most exhilarating thing I'd ever felt. We talk about killing all the time. I never used to talk this way. I'm not proud of it, but it's like I can't stop. I'm worried what I will be like when I get home."

Indeed, after returning home is when the problems typically arise in the form of a variety of mental and emotional disorders. Army Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, who taught at West Point and who works with police officers and special operations troops, says that �the military could train soldiers to talk about killing as easily as they train them to pull the trigger. But commanders are in denial.� Grossman added, �This is complete negligence.�
www.interventionmag.com... d&name=News&file=article&sid=806

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yes, indeed, what will they be like when they get home? Will we have a bunch of lost, sociopathic killers, with no access to help, no one to care about thier mental traumas, reach thier breaking point?

They have no clue how dangerous this whole mess could be.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You're right. The implications of it are pretty damn bad. I don't think folks realize just what this is gonna entail.

And its tragic 'cause there isn't gonna be any resources or care for them, as you said.

How could we get so far off track in such a small amount of time? How could the nightmares and lessons of Vietnam fade so quickly? In my time, there was a solid committment to never let that shyte happen again. Yet, here we are right back into the heart of darkness.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I dont really remember the US getting flooded with murders and sociopathic killers After WW2 some of the worst combat the world has ever seen. Im sure there were some cases after each war but I dont think we have to worry about the country getting over run by military trained killers

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thats because there was a different society back post WW2.

However, after Vietnam, we had quite a flood of troops coming home and alot of violence and drug abuse in thier wake. Many freaked out, went insane, and went to go live on the streets, in the woods, ect. Others came back and ended up killing people.

This current society and state of morality in this country is a breeding ground for such things. And this war resembles nam more than WW2.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Troops are pawns used to further the plans of the chess players!!

The whole situation makes me sad. People believing they are doing the good deed, only to do it then return harmed and be ignored by the very country they were fighting for. It is a shame some people have to get to that point to realise its all a game, and we are the ones being played.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

You are right it was a different society back then. People were proud of there country and it was an honor to serve in the Armed Forces. When troops arrived home there were ticket tape parades, and the men were greeted as Heroes. The country appreciated the sacrifice the men and women made to ensure a free world for everyone.

Now you have a bias liberal media that does nothing but be-little the troops, there efforts and sacrifices. There is no unity among the political parties and the democratic party is filled with people like ted kennedy. The media is filled with blood thursty savages only wanting to talk about what went wrong and who they should blame. The good things that are done are never reported on. The efforts to free iraq are not the focus of the democrats or the media, they would rather tear down the the support of our troops for there own gain.

That is what is wrong with the troops, the lack of concern for there effort and sacrifices from the people of there own country!!!!!!!!!!

EKC, are you speaking from experience here or is this also something you read of the internet ????

[edit on 21-7-2004 by sniper068]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by sniper068]

top topics

join