It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listen To The Acoustic Sound Of The Massive Japan Earthquake - AUDIO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Listen To The Acoustic Sound Of The Massive Japan Earthquake

ListenToTheDeep.com: Earthquake and Aftershocks Audio Source

Listen To Japan's Massive Quake - AUDIO HERE

Ever wonder what the fourth-largest recorded earthquake since 1900 sounds like? The Laboratory of Applied Bioacoustics (LAB) has posted the eerie sound online. The Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), a network of underground observatories more than a thousand meters below sea level, made the chilling recording as the quake struck.

According to Science Daily, the sounds of Japan's 9.0-magnitude quake "have been accelerated 16 times so that they can be audible to human ears." The red and yellow colors on the spectogram represent the most intense parts of the quake. You can also listen to the first and second aftershock on the LIDO site.

ScienceDaily: Sounds of Japan Earthquake and Aftershocks from Underwater Observatories

The Laboratory of Applied Bioacoustics (LAB), a unit of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), directed by Professor Michel André, has recorded the sound of the earthquake that shook Japan on Friday, March 11.

The UPC laboratory is using this platform as part of Listening to the Deep Ocean Environment (LIDO), a LAB-led international project. "LIDO aims, for the first time ever, to record deep-sea sounds in real time and determine how artificial sounds impact the conservation states of the marine environment,"

Amazing groaning grumbling of the earth moving.
Fascinating !
I wonder if these audio recordings can be used to predict earthquakes in the future.
- UPDATE: It appears they are looking into that...
WIKI: Ultra Low Frequency

Some monitoring stations have reported that earthquakes are sometimes preceded by a spike in ULF activity. A remarkable example of this occurred before the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake in California. On December 9, 2010, geoscientists announced that the DEMETER satellite observed a dramatic increase in ULF radio waves over Haiti in the month before the magnitude 7.0 Mw 2010 earthquake. Researchers are attempting to learn more about this correlation to find out whether this method can be used as part of an early warning system for earthquakes.

edit on (3/19/11) by AllSeeingI because: updated info

edit on Sat Mar 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: exteranal quote tags subbed IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

The video can be a little misleading. It says the sound was sped up 16 times to make it audible. If you want an accurate reproduction, you would need to slow down the audio 16 times and play through a large infinite baffle array so you can reproduce the frequencies in the single digits. It will be all subsonic vibrations...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
When I see these videos I always think couldn't people just ride it out. Float down to the end.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PplVSNWO
reply to post by AllSeeingI

The video can be a little misleading. It says the sound was sped up 16 times to make it audible. If you want an accurate reproduction, you would need to slow down the audio 16 times and play through a large infinite baffle array so you can reproduce the frequencies in the single digits. It will be all subsonic vibrations...

I heard that elephants can communicate with ultra-low frequency that humans cannot hear and it can travel across far distances to other elephants.

I wonder if elephants, and what other animals, can hear these ultra-low frequency tones. Think the Elephants in Africa hear the Earthquake's bellow?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hello
I listened to the audio file of the earthquake and it sounded just like the noise I heard on 3/9 or 3/10/11 in MD. I posted my observations here....... www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted a link to your topic so others may hear. Thank you so much for the audio...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RANDOMguess

I always thought this as well, but that water is traveling fast enough that smashing into something would kill you.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by RANDOMguess

I always thought this as well, but that water is traveling fast enough that smashing into something would kill you.

Yeah I was also thinking the mud in the water would soak your clothes and make you heavy, not to mention be hard to stay afloat in.

new topics

top topics

join