It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Good source of Iodine in a shortage..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I just want to throw this out there for anyone interested..Or running into iodine supplement problems..

Most whey protein powders contain a fair amount of iodine.. And can be bought at most pharmacies or vitamin shops for as little as 15$ for 2 pounds in most cases..

This is a photo of the nutritional label of "Cytosports Muscle milk"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/184aa9a96ba5.png[/atsimg]

On top of the iodine content there is a lot of other nutritional benefits from consuming a protein shake, I mean the nutritional content speaks for it self..

I suggest if you are going to stock up on a whey product, First check out how much iodine it contains..Some contain more, While others contain less.. I would advise to start stoking up soon..

I have a feeling at the rate of iodine products selling out..it wont be long till they discontinue it in the protein powders also..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I just want to throw this out there for anyone interested..Or running into iodine supplement problems..

Most whey protein powders contain a fair amount of iodine.. And can be bought at most pharmacies or vitamin shops for as little as 15$ for 2 pounds in most cases..

This is a photo of the nutritional label of "Cytosports Muscle milk"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/184aa9a96ba5.png[/atsimg]

On top of the iodine content there is a lot of other nutritional benefits from consuming a protein shake, I mean the nutritional content speaks for it self..

I suggest if you are going to stock up on a whey product, First check out how much iodine it contains..Some contain more, While others contain less.. I would advise to start stoking up soon..

I have a feeling at the rate of iodine products selling out..it wont be long till they discontinue it in the protein powders also..

That is good to know...but....1 mg = 1000mcg...so that would be approx. 36 scoops just to have 1mg.

Iosat Tablets are 130 mg. You would need to take 36 scoops x 130 just to get the same amount of the tablet form. This is definitly good to keep your iodine levels up...but it won't protect you.

ps- let me know if my math is wrong...not good in math

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I read that the highest source of it naturally would be Moss (seaweed and other sources).

Do a few google's and you will see tons of information about this being a supreme source for that nutrient.

I personally would expect natural sources of this chemical to be far safer than the pharmaceutical synthetic versions. Just an opinion though. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

edit on 19-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Good to know! thanks ..Low fat yogurt, and cow's milk are also good sources for iodine..As for the sea weed..I can't see myself willingly ingestion kelp in any form..unless it was a life or death situation..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Seaweed is potent, but hard to keep lit.

If there was a danger of imbibing radioactive iodine (the whole reason for this discussion), then milk and milk products would be off limits, precisely because the ARE providers of iodine, which would be contaminated.

Other than a few raw resources like kelp, eating food for it's iodine content will not provide enough to saturate the thyroid gland.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Seaweed is potent, but hard to keep lit.

If there was a danger of imbibing radioactive iodine (the whole reason for this discussion), then milk and milk products would be off limits, precisely because the ARE providers of iodine, which would be contaminated.

Other than a few raw resources like kelp, eating food for it's iodine content will not provide enough to saturate the thyroid gland.

WOW! Looking back on the dairy suggestions I made, I cant believe I even made them..

Man, I was not thinking when I posted that! Thanks for pointing out my useless logic..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Hi there Muzzle.... and I thought the same thing as you, that because seaweed, kelp and bladderwrack are all natural suppliments to traditional KI they would be safer... not true. The only reason I did some research on this is because I am an insulin dependent diabetic and wanted to know that if there ever came a time I would need either the traditional KI or a natural suppliment, how would it interact with my insulin....well what I found is this.....

There was no real interaction with the traditional KI. The only real threat would be as it would be for a 'normal' person with no pre-existing condition where over usage would potentially cause thyroid conditions such as hypothyroidism or goiter.

What I found with the suppliments (seaweed, kelp and bladderwrack) is that they have been proven to lower blood surar. So if you are already using something to control blood sugar levels, taking these suppliments could prove harmful if not deadly if you are not aware that this is a possible side effect. Close monitoring would be needed in order to keep everything in balance.

Also, the suppliments (seaweed, kelp and bladderwrack) have been shown to have blood thinning effects. So if you are on a blood thinning agent like Coumadin (sp?), adding one of the natural suppliments if no KI can be found could also be harmful if not deadly in certain situations.

There are also some other side effects from the naturals that are not found with traditional KI, but for the sake of shortening the post I won't type them out, but they can be found in the following links that support the lowering blood sugar and blood thinning claims

Wellness.com
NIH
eHow Health
Globinmed.com

I post this only as a protection for those that may not have thought about possible drug interactions with natural suppliments. Believe me, I am all for doing things naturally if at all possible and push that doctrine as well as live that doctrine personally. I would urge anyone out there that is thinking about taking either traditional KI or a natural suppliment of ANY kind, to do their homework and discuss any concerns/questions with your healthcare provider to insure your safety and wellbeing. The last thing you want is to get into a more dire situation because proper precautions were not taken in the beginning.
edit on 19-3-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: grammer police were out to get me

edit on 19-3-2011 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: Ugh.... I give up..... LOL

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Very informative post! Thanks for the information, And the great contribution to the thread! star for you..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's also important to remember:

The risk of thyroid cancer from exposure to radioactive iodine appears to diminish with age.

As a matter of fact, potassium iodide is not a recommended therapy for persons older than 40. Since Thyroid cancer is typically slow-growing, once you've turned 40 you will probably die of other causes before the cancer would kill you. (I think it may lie dormant for 25-30 years).

So if you're over 40, you might kill off your thyroid gland, but you probably wont affect your chances of cancer.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I've been trying to estimate what US risks might be.

This Article claims that Japanese government is refusing to give test data at the reactor site. It also says the UN is sending a team to officially ask the Japan for some numbers.

The big problem will be that airborne iodine washes out in rainfall and lands on grass to be eaten by cows, which act as iodine accumulators for young thyroids

Now how to balance that fact with the fact that there is an ocean between Japan and US/CAN, and the half life of 131-iodine is about 8 days. So once the crisis is OVER, the chances will be negligable after 90 days.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
hello ppl, i live on the coast of california ans seaweed is all over the shore, thanks to this lil storm we are having... i have eaten seaweed fresh off the beach before and it is not to bad..lol so what i am wondering is if i cant get iodine.. how much sea weed will i have to eat every day to protect my thyroid from radiation?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

Good to know! thanks ..Low fat yogurt, and cow's milk are also good sources for iodine..As for the sea weed..I can't see myself willingly ingestion kelp in any form..unless it was a life or death situation..

mann seaweed is awesome it feels so full of energy when you eat it

but my stomach doesnt seem to agree with it

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If your trying to stock up on your Iodine supply you can get elemental Iodine from any Iodized salt. (Not Table salt that's a Chlorine salt.) You just have to dissolve your salt into solution and then add a oxidizer like strong Hydrogen peroxide which should release the Iodine ion and replace it with the other ion in this case the hydron. Ive never actually tried this with iodine but I know it works wit Bromine,so it should basically be the same reaction. You can not ingest elemental iodine because it is a strong oxidizer itself, but it very good for disinfecting wounds and surfaces. If you want it in a concentrated form you can eat you can extract it from seaweed and other plants.
Chemistry is Fun but keep it safe
edit on 10-8-2012 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Potasium iodate

Kelp is a good source of iodine but may contain high levels of arsenic and pollutants.(1/8 of a cup is about 130 %)
Yogurt is a good source as well (two cups a day to meet daily requirements)

So crank up your survival yogurt makers and make some low-fat kelp yogurt !

new topics

top topics

join