It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

BBC News Live: Libya Crisis

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Source

I wonder how long it will be until the UN does some 'Peacekeeping' in Libya.

Actually scratch that, I wonder how long it will be until TPTB Rape the country and put a puppet in charge.




posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique
 


I think that this so called liberation of Libya is just a distraction, I think that the nuclear disaster in Japan is worse than TPTB are telling us and what better way to hide the truth is behind another war and more lies.



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Source

I wonder how long it will be until the UN does some 'Peacekeeping' in Libya.

Actually scratch that, I wonder how long it will be until TPTB Rape the country and put a puppet in charge.


Jeebus... There are valid conspiracy theories, then there are nutjobs.

The UN has NOT authorised any ground forces or even a peacekeeping mission, so member states won't be sending troops. It's largely down to the Libyans to do the ground pounding.

"TPTB" just want a stable country to do business with and not send the price of Oil rocketing, that's why we're interested in Libya. There won't be a "puppet" because, if you've been following developments, the West has been at pains to make sure this doesn't look like us imposing our will and we have invoved Arab states in this too, with the US taking a back seat.

reply to post by meathed
 


Some short memories here today. Libya has been going since well before last Friday, so how can you think it is a distraction?



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique
 


I thought they already had one

But he just started trolling them for the lulz


Seriously We've seen this movie some many times.
The pawn gets replaced as soon as he stops being of any use to them.
I mean, the TPTB are going in to "protect" the rebels speaking out against Kadhafi's totalitarian regime and to defend their right to protest, yet I don't see or hear the UN say a single word about the Chinese government suppressing protests as well. Why don't they also call for a no fly zone in China or condemn the government for human rights violations of their own people?
The PTB are so full of cow pie and they are dragging us into WW3 faster than you can say " TS has HTF"!

Peace, love and enlightenment to all of God's creations even politicians.



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason
 


Really?....2 days ago,
U.N. okays military action on Libya



It also authorised "all necessary measures" -- code for military action -- to protect civilians against Gaddafi's forces.


and again yesterday...
Libya: UN backs action against Colonel Gaddafi



The resolution appears to give legal weight to attacks against Col Muammar Gaddafi's ground forces.

I understand this may be a very dynamic situation but please, put some effort into it...

Though i will agree with you that this is more about oil than peace. There are many other atrocities occuring in the region like Bahrain and Yemen which have been largly overlooked by the UN and the media



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel
 


Why don't you put the effort in. Have you read the actual resolution?

It explicitly prohibits ground forces.

EDIT: To save you the effort, wouldn't want you to hurt your fingers, after all... I've highlighted the relevant part in paragraph 4 of UNSC Resolution 1973:


4. Authorises member states that have notified the secretary-general, acting nationally or through regional organizations or arrangements, and acting in co-operation with the secretary-general, to take all necessary measures, notwithstanding paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 (2011), to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory, and requests the member states concerned to inform the secretary-general immediately of the measures they take pursuant to the authorization conferred by this paragraph which shall be immediately reported to the Security Council;


edit on 19/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This business with Libya really boils my blood.

It exposes alot of the hypocrisy steming from goverments world wide.

America wants to take a back seat so that they wont further tarnish their image to muslim population where all the uprising has been happening.
So they ask a joint UK and French team to lead the way in this... farce, whilst adding Kuwait and Qatar to support the no fly zone. Even recently, the Canadians are supporting this action.

Forcing out maddog and supporting an uprising.

So where is the line going to be drawn in the Sahara???
There are uprisings all across the Middle East, where the ruling goverments are doing their best to suppress any form of protest.

Will there be any action taken in any of the other countrys where the goverment has killed its people because it did not like what it heard?

With Bahrain, we have king Abdulla (s.p?) who has let neighbouring forces do the dirty work too suppress the peoples voices and has been invited to the Royal wedding...

The UK wants to have this no fly zone to stop the expected massacre at Benghazi, when there has been massacres, genocides in plenty of other places outside of Libya.

David Cameron can wave his magicwand and fund a course of military action, which may lead to war, whilst he cuts jobs and benifits.

What a ¢¥n£!!!

eee.



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by RadicalRebel
 


Why don't you put the effort in. Have you read the actual resolution?

It explicitly prohibits ground forces.

EDIT: To save you the effort, wouldn't want you to hurt your fingers, after all... I've highlighted the relevant part in paragraph 4 of UNSC Resolution 1973:


4. Authorises member states that have notified the secretary-general, acting nationally or through regional organizations or arrangements, and acting in co-operation with the secretary-general, to take all necessary measures, notwithstanding paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 (2011), to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory, and requests the member states concerned to inform the secretary-general immediately of the measures they take pursuant to the authorization conferred by this paragraph which shall be immediately reported to the Security Council;


edit on 19/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)


Security Council Approves ‘No-Fly Zone’ over Libya, Authorizing ‘All Necessary

Where does it "explicitly prohibits ground forces", sorry i dont see that line....what i do see is,



to take all necessary measures, notwithstanding paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 (2011), to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory

"all necessary force"
and while my own interpretation of "occupying force" may differ from yours, it seems to me a consiliatory gesture on behalf of the concerns of the nations that abstained in concerns that libya may become under control of such occupying force after such "necessary" actions are taken and not retain its independance.

I will concede that i am not a foreign dignitary nor any type of international diplomat versed in the terms of such treaties, I suppose only time will tell if foreign ground troops are used. but so you do understand, i do read such documents when they become available, sry that i did not reference it sooner.



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
This business with Libya really boils my blood.

It exposes alot of the hypocrisy steming from goverments world wide.

America wants to take a back seat so that they wont further tarnish their image to muslim population where all the uprising has been happening.
So they ask a joint UK and French team to lead the way in this... farce, whilst adding Kuwait and Qatar to support the no fly zone. Even recently, the Canadians are supporting this action.

Forcing out maddog and supporting an uprising.

So where is the line going to be drawn in the Sahara???
There are uprisings all across the Middle East, where the ruling goverments are doing their best to suppress any form of protest.

Will there be any action taken in any of the other countrys where the goverment has killed its people because it did not like what it heard?

With Bahrain, we have king Abdulla (s.p?) who has let neighbouring forces do the dirty work too suppress the peoples voices and has been invited to the Royal wedding...



Whilst I agree that there does appear to some double standards here, you have to look at this with a realists view. We can do something about Libya. We cannot do anything about Bahrain, Saudi Arabia simply won't allow it and they have us by the short and curlies, at least until we get rid of our Oil dependency.

That's the reality of the situation and you have to bear it in mind, not look at it through rose tinted glasses and imagine us able to take on anyone. We cannot. Even the US cannot.


Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
The UK wants to have this no fly zone to stop the expected massacre at Benghazi, when there has been massacres, genocides in plenty of other places outside of Libya.


And France! But see above. It's about what we can deal with and what we cannot. Saudi simply will not allow the ruling family in Bahrain to fall as it would lead to a worse situation for them internally and will not allow anyone to interfere from the outside. The US should have (either in or near to Bahrain) a Marine Expeditionary Force attached to the 5th Fleet, consisting of several thousand US Marines. These could easily sort out Bahrain, but they don't because to do so would piss of the Saudi's.

You also have to bear in mind that the Shia revolts in Arabia are likely instigated by Iran, at least in some fashion, to destabalise Saudi. The two do NOT get on. Backing shia revolts in Bahrain, Yemen and Saudi will only serve to broaden Iran's sphere of influence, which is not conducive to our own interests.

Again, don't look at this through those rose tinted glasses. Politics is at play here and life is not that simple.


Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
David Cameron can wave his magicwand and fund a course of military action, which may lead to war, whilst he cuts jobs and benifits.


For what it is worth, he is right to slash the Civil service as it has, for a long time, been used as a tool by the previous Government to create client voters (people dependant on the state so will vote for it) and to give the impression people are in employment, when really much of them don't do a real days work like people would in the private sector. It doubled in size from 1997 to 2007 with no appreciable difference seen except the wage bill for whitehall! It isn't right or healthy that 50% of the UK's GDP comes from Government spending.

Also benefits (note the spelling) should also be slashed. Again, used as a tool to creat client voters of people dependant on them we now have an underclass of people who have never worked and can barely spell their own names! Or would you rather everyone get paid thousands to sit on their arses and have hard working people like me pay their way?


Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
What a ¢¥n£!!!


Pretty much what I think about benefit scroungers and those lazy arse civil servants.



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ah well, you may as well go and support the mass-murdering sociopaths on their new adventure to distract us from economic calamities and their own financial terrorism. History always repeats itself.


How many people dying in Yemen and Bahrain ?! (caused by UAE and Saudi's). UAE are involved in carrying out the no-fly-zone!! Really messed up!

And the Israeli PM calling for bombing of Iranian nuclear facilities whilst Japan suffers a nuclear catastrophe. Those are friends of the corporate west and our pathetic "leaders" are still cosy there.

And onto Cameron's ridiculous policices: The outsourcing of public sector jobs into the private sector is only making the rich corporations even more weathier with no accountability, and so we will get crapper service still funded by tax-payers!

Salaries in the private sector exceed public sector salaries. People's lives are not "waste".

Meanwhile those bonuses at 83% state-owned RBS are looking great!!!

Mussolini had a name for the merger of state of corporate powers : FASCISM!!!

Corporatism + wars = modern day fascism.
edit on 19-3-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by john124 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
Ah well, you may as well go and support the mass-murdering sociopaths on their new adventure to distract us from economic calamities and their own financial terrorism. History always repeats itself.



Got to love the double speak coming from you here. So if we support action against Gaddaffi (a mass-murdering socipath) we're supporting mass murdering sociopaths... And allowing unrest like this to continue will only add to our finacial worries, just look at the oil price!

Get your story straight..


Originally posted by john124
How many people dying in Yemen and Bahrain ?! (caused by UAE and Saudi's). UAE involved in carrying out the no-fly-zone!! WTF!!!


Politics. See above. We can do squat about Bahrain or Yemen and their trouble is not caused by Saudi and UAE, but rather Iran stiring up the Shia. The UAE and Saudi are the other side of the coin and don't want the shia rising up, giving Iran more influence in their region.


Originally posted by john124
And the Israeli PM calling for bombing of Iranian nuclear facilities whilst Japan suffers a nuclear catastrophe. Those are friends of the corporate west and our pathetic "leaders" are still licking their arses.


Israel can go fudge themselves, as far as I am concerned. They made their bed. Whatever they say is usually violent and distasteful, but they lack the balls to do antyhing themselves, they want the West to do something. With President Wishy-Washy in charge of the US though, that is unlikely to happen.


Originally posted by john124
And onto Cameron's ridiculous policices: The outsourcing of public sector jobs into the private sector is only making the rich corporations even more weathier with no accountability, and so we will get crapper service still funded by tax-payers!


Not sure why you think outsourcing to companies is either a bad thing or that there is no accountability. I work for a FTSE 100 company providing services to HM Government and there miost certainly is accountability. All it takes is a small collection of faults to badly wrong and our profit margin gets wiped out by fines.


Originally posted by john124
Salaries in the private sector exceed public sector salaries. People's lives are not "waste".


In the private sector, you do a bad job, fudge up and you lose your job. In the Public sector, this doesn't happen. They also get better pensions and their productivity is far lower, as there is not enough real work for them to do. Private companies are far more efficient and generally do a better job..


Originally posted by john124
Meanwhile those bonuses at 83% state-owned RBS are looking great!!!


Indeed and that does grind my gears a bit. But, if RBS didn't pay the bonuses then they'd lose alot of talented staff and RBS would not ever return to profit, leaving us out of pocket by tens of billions and unable to sell the damn thing.


Originally posted by john124
Mussolini had a name for the merger of state of corporate powers : FASCISM!!!

Corporatism + wars = modern day fascism


Yeah, typical emotional bollocks designed to inflame, but based on nothing of any merit. You honestly think that we're anything like a fascist state? It would seem that the alternative to allowing companies to do the work is the Government, which is a Socialist planned economy, no? Just following your line of logic, if there is any that is.



posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just wanted to check in and add some additional info i came across today. Still not sure how all this will play out but its not looking like it will be as previously stated.

US about to put 2200 Marines on the ground in Libya?

I realize this is a local news source, and the wording of the article is questionable, i only wanted to provide evidence of the possibility of this occuring, Still have to wait and see i guess.




top topics



 
3

log in

join