It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
OSAKA—Traces of radioactive iodine have been detected in tap water in Tokyo in the wake of an emergency at a quake-hit Japanese nuclear power plant, the government said Saturday. Abnormal levels of radioactive iodine were also found in the water supply in the central prefectures of Gunma, Tochigi, Saitama, Chiba and Niigata, said an official at Japan's science ministry, which is monitoring radiation levels.
Originally posted by bluemirage5
There are waterways in the USA that is radioactive.....so don't let it shock you.
The food was taken from farms as far as 65 miles (100 kilometers) from the stricken plants, suggesting a wide area of nuclear contamination.
* Not be measured by the Miyagi earthquake damage, adjusted for their own Fukushima Prefecture Survey have been published. Ibaraki Prefecture, on the water can not be taken for the water failure.
* The blank for missing inspections and equipment
* This data, 1Bq / L to consider 1Bq/kg
* Prepared based on reports from each state and the Ministry of Education State name Water (tap)
* "Nuclear facilities for disaster prevention measures (NSC)" food and drink intake Radioactive iodine-based indicators of drinking water standards limit -131:300 Bq / k g or more, radioactive cesium: 200Bq/kg more
(Bq / kg)
Radioactive iodine: 131 I)
Drinking water Drinking water 300
Milk, dairy products*
Vegetables（Except root vegetables and tubers) 2,000 2,000
Drinking water Drinking water 200
Milk, dairy products
*) Provide guidance so that materials exceeding 100 Bq / kg are not used in milk supplied for use in powdered baby formula or for direct drinking to baby. baby formula or for direct drinking to baby.
Originally posted by CordDragonzord
This sucks for the Japanese, it makes me wonder what would happen if this happened to America.
Originally posted by Firefly_
Screw the humans, what about all the wildlife affected by this?
Originally posted by Stratus9
Now the real question is; how long has radiation been leaking into the food from there? It takes a while for a cow to eat enough radiated grass to show elevated levels of radiation in milk products.
If they have been leaking into the countryside for a while- maybe this whole horrible event is a 'hidden blessing' that will prevent a worst catastrophe over time.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)