It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else starting to believe in this 2012 stuff?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

You guys should know... all good sci-fi movies are based in fact. That's how Hollywood operates.

That crosses 2012 off the list. It wasn't very good and there are no facts.

I feel it, I notice time speeding up,

How do you notice time speeding up? That's not possible you know.

We are witnessing some pretty cool catastrophes right now and they will only increase.

Nothing is happening right now at an increased rate so why do you predict a change in the future?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessbrainsyndrome

Let's see...people who lived many many years ago....watched the stars...to watch the stars that well would take generations...not years...generations. They created a calendar from the movements of stars and planets...

A calendar is based on celestial events. That's correct.

Years and years and years later...Christopher Columbus leaves Europe and everyone thought he would sail off the edge of the Flat earth....

No one at the time of Columbus thought the Earth was flat. Sailors all used astrolabes which was a device built by 150BC to do spherical calculations.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by autowrench

Many people have at least read of the Mayan prophecies and the end of the world.

There is this endless claim of some Mayan prophecies. There are no such prophecies associated with the end of the long count calendar.

I have tried pointing out that the source of these 'prophecies' were from books like Jose Argueles "The Mayan Factor" written in the late 80's, and have noted that, interestingly enough they didn't even talk about 'the end of the world', but merely talked about the 'human potential' and global enlightenment and being whisked off to space by enlightened alien. But I got told that was an 'ad hominem attack', so I think maybe trying have a discussion here might be hopeless.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

The planets will all be lined up in the center of the Milky Way, and from what I have read it does affect our planet as well as others and I htink that is what's been going on with out planet as well as the others and the odd weather or things they have had going on.

The last major planetary alignment was in 2000. All sorts of disaster books were written and the world was destroyed - apparently nothing predicted by those authors happened.

In 2003 there were predictions that the close approach of Mars to Earth would cause devastation. Again nothing happened.

Alignments of planets are common. They happen several times a year. Nothing ever happens.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

so we should have another 5,120 years of the Sun rising in the West
and the North Pole in Antarctica

The sun can't rise in the West. It has never happened before and it can't today. A magnetic reversal is possible, but not a pole shift.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Are you referring to the alignment in 1998? I believe you are.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessbrainsyndrome

Years and years and years later...Christopher Columbus leaves Europe and everyone thought he would sail off the edge of the Flat earth....

Wow, where did you learn history? The greeks figured it out in 330 AD!

The paradigm of a spherical Earth was developed in Greek astronomy, beginning with Pythagoras (6th century BC), although most Pre-Socratics retained the flat Earth model. Aristotle accepted the spherical shape of the Earth on empirical grounds around 330 BC, and knowledge of the spherical Earth gradually began to spread beyond the Hellenistic world from then on.

The misconception that educated people at the time of Columbus believed in a flat Earth, and that his voyages refuted that belief, has been referred to as "The Myth of the Flat Earth".[6] In 1945, it was listed by the Historical Association (of Britain) as the second of 20 in a pamphlet on common errors in history.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

Elenin is a comet. It's small. A large comet is only 40km in diameter. There isn't enough mass there to affect the Earth in a detectable manner.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

That's right. All of the prophecies are modern New Age inventions and are not ancient Mayan in origin. That is an important understanding or should I say clarification that people need to comprehend.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
LOL, stereologist is on a roll

Like I said, nothing but pseudo-science and people trying to make money of fiction books and movies...there's a complete lack of objective evidence to support any of that 2012 nonsense.

What baffles me is how some people still blindly believe that stuff, or even get aggressive when you doubt it, or ask for evidence...almost like some religious people.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

It certainly is odd. There appears to be this appeal to believing in something that is stunning wrong and incoherent simply because it bucks the establishment.

Yes these ideas are establishment. They took hundreds if not thousands of years to refine through challenges and tests.

Do planetary alignments affect things? After dozens a year for thousands of years of human history the answer is always no. It seems that the established answer is no.

Are earthquakes or volcanoes becoming more common? After decades of data collection the established answer is no.

Do other celestial objects cause earthquakes? After seemingly endless data analysis a few rare types of low magnitude earthquakes might be correlated with the moon. More studies need to be done to verify this. Is it established? No.

The list goes on and on.
BTW, I can't play the 2012 game. I'm a light weight and would seriously hurt myself in the first 15 minutes.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Honestly, the part I dont understand the most is how they don't even seem to know the source of this stuff. I read 'the mayan factor' like ten years ago. It says nothing about the word ending. It talks about feel good new age enlightenment and 'the end of time'.

I mean, if you're gonna believe this stuff, at least know what the philosophy actually is. It has zero to do with the movie.

Not to mention all the horrid lack of basic science.
edit on 20-3-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

It certainly is odd. There appears to be this appeal to believing in something that is stunning wrong and incoherent simply because it bucks the establishment.

Dude, that is the vast majority of ATS. The less supported by evidence, the better.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by stereologist

Honestly, the part I dont understand the most is how they don't even seem to know the source of this stuff. I read 'the mayan factor' like ten years ago. It says nothing about the word ending. It talks about feel good new age enlightenment and 'the end of time'.

I mean, if you're gonna believe this stuff, at least know what the philosophy actually is. It has zero to do with the movie.

Not to mention all the horrid lack of basic science.

Some people believe it's the rapture...which would confirm their belief...that's why some at least are hoping for it. Like the people saying it's gonna be a "fun ride"

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
With all the crazy stuff going on in the world, 2012 becomes more plausible.

Will we even make it to 2012?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
i beleived in the 2012 stuff long before it was so mainstream, but the more ive learnt about it, the less i beleive.
i'm more inclined to beleive the 'event' will be sooner , oct 2011 maybe. the 2012 hype is to put knowing eyes forward, so even those that think they're prepared will be caught by suprise.
but i'm also thinking the change may be subtle, ha i dont have a clue.
heh i'm past caring now.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

Crazy stuff is the norm. It's always been happening. Nothing is adding up to the next year or the year after.

Try this out as an exercise. Pick a year at random. Maybe you can try this.

1. Flip a coin twice.
a. 2 heads pick the 1700s
b. 2 tails pick the 1800s
c. tail then head pick the 1900s
d. head then tail pick 2000s
2. Do something similar to pick a year.

Let's say you ended up with 1836. See if you can find unusual events in that year that predict the end of the world in the following year. So 1836 events lead up to the end of the world in 1837.

It's a cool game because there are so many things happening that you can always find a reason to predict the end of the world coming up. Challenge your friends and the person with the lamest end of the world scenario has to buy the beer ball.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I tend to believe that the hopi indians have a better outlook on future events. I still feel that we will get wiped out by a comet.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There is no place in science for spirituality, faith or prophecy. I think for anyone to believe there might be some earth changing event/s coming in the next year and half, they must possess belief in one or all of those 3 things.

Those who can only believe in things science can explain or prove, will never buy into the 2012 thing until it is upon them and they see it, feel it and can touch it. Much like a belief in Aliens, God etc. I do not neccessarily believe it will happen, but I am open to the possibility of something occurring. I can at least admit to myself that we do not know everything despite what science may have to say.

I often wonder why a person so hardened in their belief and "faith" in science, would even venture onto a site like this one, who's core subject matter deals in speculation, guessing, unproven theory's, fantasy, science fiction etc.

Even more specifically a thread like this. Whats the point? Community service, educating all of those "crack pots" who believe in this nonsense? Ego? Or just an overwhelming need to prove people wrong, while elevating themselves?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

I do it for the same reason I call people crazy who claim a giant purple unicorn will roam the skies in 2012 and fart rainbows that turn into giant "enlightenment rays". The unicorn people, just like the 2012 believers, have ZERO objective evidence to back up their claims...but yeah, there's the possibility it could happen. But only a lunatic would stock up on food/water and build a bunker believe the world will end in 2012...just like only a lunatic would stock up on unicorn food and "enlightenment ray" catchers

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Starting? HAHAHAHA!
You're talking to a bunch of conspiracy theorists.
edit on 20-3-2011 by canofnothing because: I simplified it.

Of course we believe it. Half of us probably have preparations.
edit on 20-3-2011 by canofnothing because: An explanation.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join