It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Culture is our Operating System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Section69

Culture is meaningless.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69

Culture is meaningless.

Watch the video!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Can't do it.
I tried to wath the vid and the guys voice grates on my nerves like nails down a chalkboard.
I'll just take your word for it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Can't do it.
I tried to wath the vid and the guys voice grates on my nerves like nails down a chalkboard.
I'll just take your word for it.

I agree the tone is a bit grindy, but its an interesting way to think about culture, society, etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Culture is more like an app or TSR. The hardware creates the OS which then creates and runs this app. If only one culture is known it can easily be mistaken for the entire OS.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Culture is a 20 century Windows OS always in need of the next service pack update, but unfortunately we do not have linux servers to make those updates available for when cultures crashes repeatedly lol

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Haven't watched the vid, but will, as far as the headline, it goes far deeper than culture. Culture is a very broad term for what it's implying (imo). We're bio-computers/"machines of flesh", we get programmed from the day we're born, sometime before that even. You are everything you've experienced wholly. Just as there are hackers out there, there are also "bio-hackers" you could say, that can do about anything with these "humans". Biggest problem of ours is, the best of the best, are our enemies. I could never say it any better than this:
KNOW YOUR ENEMY.
Huh!
Yeah, we're comin' back then with another bombtrack
Think ya know what it's all about
Huh!
Hey yo, so check this out
Yeah!
Know your enemy!
Come on!

Born with insight and a raised fist
A witness to the slit wrist, that's with
As we move into '92
Still in a room without a view
Ya got to know
Ya got to know
That when I say go, go, go
Amp up and amplify
Defy
I'm a brother with a furious mind
Action must be taken
We don't need the key
We'll break in

Something must be done
About vengeance, a badge and a gun
'Cause I'll rip the mike, rip the stage, rip the system
I was born to rage against 'em

Fist in ya face, in the place
And I'll drop the style clearly
Know your enemy...Know your enemy!
Yeah!

Hey yo, and dick with this...uggh!
Word is born
Fight the war, # the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
The finger to the land of the chains
What? The land of the free?
Whoever told you that is your enemy?

Now something must be done
About vengeance, a badge and a gun
'Cause I'll rip the mike, rip the stage, rip the system
I was born to rage against 'em

Now action must be taken
We don't need the key
We'll break in

I've got no patience now
So sick of complacence now
I've got no patience now
So sick of complacence now
Sick of sick of sick of sick of you
Time has come to pay...
Know your enemy!

Come on!
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American dreams (8 times)
All of which are American dreams

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Amen. We do indeed have a bug in our operating system.

Unfortunately, the "small sample size" that our culture was developed from were the sociopaths of our society.

Good video. And for anyone that thinks culture is meaningless, even if you dont consider it in this way, you are crazy. Culture is all important to humans. It is our entire advantage over every other life form on the planet, and you should never forget that. It doesnt mean you should mindlessly embrace the one you have, but if you think you could function without one at all you are dead wrong. And if you tried, you would literally be dead in no time flat.

Human intelligence is HIGHLY overrated. We as a whole are not that intelligent. We have some intelligent members, who have some truly inspired moments. Human beings as individuals for the most part would never even figure out the most basic survival skills. One modern human alone, raised with no contact with other humans, would likely not even "invent" rudimentary things like fire use. Your "intelligence" is actually the memorization of hundreds of thousands of insights by the "geniuses" of our kind. On our own, we might be lucky to reproduce maybe one of those.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Amen. We do indeed have a bug in our operating system.

Unfortunately, the "small sample size" that our culture was developed from were the sociopaths of our society.

Good video. And for anyone that thinks culture is meaningless, even if you dont consider it in this way, you are crazy. Culture is all important to humans. It is our entire advantage over every other life form on the planet, and you should never forget that. It doesnt mean you should mindlessly embrace the one you have, but if you think you could function without one at all you are dead wrong. And if you tried, you would literally be dead in no time flat.

Human intelligence is HIGHLY overrated. We as a whole are not that intelligent. We have some intelligent members, who have some truly inspired moments. Human beings as individuals for the most part would never even figure out the most basic survival skills. One modern human alone, raised with no contact with other humans, would likely not even "invent" rudimentary things like fire use. Your "intelligence" is actually the memorization of hundreds of thousands of insights by the "geniuses" of our kind. On our own, we might be lucky to reproduce maybe one of those.

We're smarter when we network with each-other, we are all a resource in one way or another. I think technology and information sharing (internet) is the real reason for "The Awakening", its cleared up a lot of misunderstandings and misinformation, and its lead to people mostly realizing that we're all human. I mean think of how much human knowledge we inadvertently learn on this forum while looking for something purely conspiratorial. Forums are some of the oldest kinds of websites as well (and I think the most helpful, even today)

We have to work together and cooperate to a certain extent if we expect to not only survive, but progress positively and thrive as a species.

When we bring our pictures together, it helps to form "The Big Picture".

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
Culture is a 20 century Windows OS always in need of the next service pack update, but unfortunately we do not have linux servers to make those updates available for when cultures crashes repeatedly lol

Are you sure? I see a culture right here. It does virtually influence our actions, even though we're in different geographical locations. The old system just hasn't crashed yet, the files are being copied to the RAID array.

After the collapse takes place, I am guessing that the companies will destroy themselves, and the people will cooperate with each-other. Technology is so widely available today that soon it will render the paper currency that built it, obsolete.

We're not too far off from communities being able to support themselves fully (portable power, portable food, the list goes on). There's a youtube vid to do just about anything, some stuff is what we used to pay somebody a lot of good money to handle for us. I think the fact that many people are fixing their own problems and thus leaving the government, companies, and various institutions out of the loop altogether has well...damaged the economy.

The elite needed to trigger an intense economic crisis to prevent us from realizing how to help ourselves, so we would focus completely on them while our way of life burns to the ground (deer in headlight), . There is usable technology all around us for the essentials of life, we need only to share to achieve the results we seek.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section69

We're smarter when we network with each-other, we are all a resource in one way or another.

My comment was on human intelligence unaided by culture. Just raw intelligence.

If you took several children and put them in the middle of nowhere and let them raise themselves without the benefit of culture being passed down to them by adults what would they develop on their own, purely as a result of their innate intelligence separate from our culture?

They would not even develop the rough stone age technology we see in some Amazon tribes themselves in one generation. They would be pushed back past the stone age, because our intelligence is only a small part of how we got to where we are. Our ability to transmit our accumulated knowledge to the next generation is the biggest single factor in our dominance as a species. Not our individual ability to reason and solve problems, the things we normally think of as IQ.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Yeah totally ^_^. Glad we can remember life lessons from the past.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think the metaphor of culture as an OS is a good one. I think we can update our perception of culture anytime we choose. If enough perceptions change so too will the world we live in.

I dispute that you need pharmacological substances for this. They can be helpful, and often do lead to greater understanding. Still, I believe that meditations within the sober mind can lead to the same growth. It can be a bad thing to rely on substances to change your perception. You begin to look outside of yourself when everything you need to change your reality is right there inside you.

Culture as an artificial construct is an important step. I think it is only one of many steps toward a bigger picture.

What about the individual personality construct? Everything you love, hate, feel, believe, think, desire, and so on is not really that real. Gender roles, suitable behavior, social norms, and everything else we recognize as "normal" are really only a shared perception. They are often times a product of society, and the past conditioning of parental figures. Dissect your personality to dissect the numbing of the mind. None of that inner dialogue of judgments, emotions, past, future, are anymore than a program your running.

Once you remove culture, and personality as concrete definable things reality starts to change. Once you realize "you" is not really anything at all. It is a program running to allow you to run on an OS(Culture, or even broadly the physical world in general)with other programs.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

OS is software, it is the software with through which you operate other software. It's your filing system and interface for the other software... just like culture. To me though, culture provides the material with which the individual can express himselft. It is the canvass, or the mold upon which the individual builds.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
George Ivanovich Gurdjieff wrote "Meetings With Remarkable Men", a brilliant book and yes it has a remarkable woman in it. Ouspensky has also writen excellent material.... Try to imagine we are alseep and need to wake up. Not ONLY awaken but STAY AWAKE.... The Gurdjieff and Ouspensky philosophies make this thread and spin offs ring like an alarm clock.

Much of "culture" is mere subjective and conventional morals, much of which, these days, is manufactured for us. How many forget where they "acquired" these cultures? These habits or philosophies? How many of us identify with these things as BEING US? Who we ARE? Thus, if we are lucky, we can find that we are asleep and, if we're even luckier, the alarm rings, we have the opportunity to observe our "self".... the ancient rule "Know Thyself To Be Thyself" is very ancient and originates long before The Greeks...

Be in the world yet not of it. Knowledge or the lack of knowledge, isn't Culture... my God MAN !!!! The most advanced cultures can live as "primitives" and NOT abuse or miss-use or use sciences and technology to blind me! Poisoned chemcial models for food production is not an advanced culture.... in fact, the horti-culture of organic models is a far more ancient AND advanced culture.

As the song sings.... "I was blind all the time I was learning to see"

edit on 2011/3/20 by Serafine because: spl error

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Are we ready to reinstall our cultural operating system?

top topics

join