It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I could care less"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Too many times I've seen people trying to express that they really don't care about something by posting "I could care less". They don't seem to realise that they are saying, in an understated kind of way, that they do care - if you could care less then there are things you don't care as much about.

What you mean to say is, "I couldn't care less", meaning that you care so little, you couldn't care any less. Sort your grammar out!

Maybe I'm being a bit extreme but it's just something that gets to me, they ruin their argument as far as I'm concerned by contradicting themselves this way.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Your point is valid. Searching for a "yawn" smilley, I "couldn't" care less.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I could care more.

But there's only so much care to go around.

And the world is still short of Lerts.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
MA, sorry to take so long to get back to this. Life is busy. What are "lerts."?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Be alert, because the world is short of lerts.

See? I care. But sometimes I careless.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
MA , you seem carefull .

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CiderGood_HeadacheBad
Too many times I've seen people trying to express that they really don't care about something by posting "I could care less". They don't seem to realise that they are saying, in an understated kind of way, that they do care - if you could care less then there are things you don't care as much about.

What you mean to say is, "I couldn't care less", meaning that you care so little, you couldn't care any less. Sort your grammar out!

Maybe I'm being a bit extreme but it's just something that gets to me, they ruin their argument as far as I'm concerned by contradicting themselves this way.

This bothers me too. It's not so much the fact that they made a mistake or said it wrong that bothers me (though it does somewhat), but the fact that they do not realize their mistake - they don't seem to understand anything being wrong with saying it that way that downright scares me.

I mean, if you, as a native english speaker, don't even know the meaning of the sentence you just said/typed, there's no helping you.

In the similar vein, I have noticed an alarming trend or fashion of writing certain words instead of the words they mean to write.

To write "their" instead of "there" is just ... very difficult to swallow. HOW can anyone over 5 make that mistake? How? What is the thought process in their braiins? This typo exists even in places like IMDB's "FAQ" page.

I mean, reviews, comments, forum - those I can almost understand - but the official FAQ page.. shouldn't that be written by someone who actually knows how to write/type english?

This world is so far down the toilet, that it's probably pretty idiotic to even care about this.. but it's hard for me to take it for granted - maybe I am too much of an optimist.. maybe I care too much. But it really bugs me every time someone does it, and the more "official" the place is, the bigger the chunk of hope that I feel leaving is.

It doesn't even have to be 'official' - I mean, if it's a "permanent" place, like a video title, signature or something similar, that people should actually have a lot of time to get it right, and be able to double check - something that will end up being seen by the world without the opportunity of quickly fixing it - that makes me do a lot of 'facepalm'. For sheer hopelessness...

I mean, if the native english speakers can't even type their own language correctly, what hope does the world have for any kind of civilization? And english is probably the EASIEST language in the world - I didn't study it almost at all after the third grade, and yet I learned to be fluent in it. Without conscious effort, it just somehow 'happened'. Surely a language must be awfully simple if learning it can happen almost by accident.

I am trying to learn japanese, and I can tell ya, it's many degrees harder than english, for multiple reasons. Even the japanese people, born in Japan, raised by Japanese parents, who have lived their whole lives in Japan, don't know how to read all the kanji, and make constant mistakes in their language (with the counter words, for example, saying "goko" instead of "itsutsu").

Then again, perhaps it's something deep in me that can't accept mistakes very easily. I mean, I can understand and accept mistakes per se, but just not 'idiotic' mistakes, that any sober, healthy adult with IQ of 80 should be able to easily avoid. So perhaps the problem is with me...

I guess it raises from the fact that I consider myself below average in almost everything (except a few areas). Especially intelligence-wise, I am sure I am below average.

So when I see so many people around me - all around the world - making mistakes even I couldn't make, I am truly shocked. I am such a lowly being, that there can't be that many people who are even lower than me! (when it comes to these things, I am not talking about worth or hierarchies here)

I mean, if even a lowly being like me can do something, then everyone should be able to do it - I refuse to believe that someone as below average as me could be way above most people in things that I'd expect a 5 year to already excel in.

It's .. very shocking and difficult to come to terms with. No matter how much I try to correct people, they never learn.. they always confuse "they're" with "there", they confuse "here" with "hear", and they confuse "should of" with "should have", and so on.. and on and on and on and on .. .

I truly feel like I am in the Twilight Zone, in am maddening experience of being surrounded by complete imbecilles, who cannot read or write properly, and who cannot think for themselves, and when they can, their thoughts are mind-numbingly lowly and stupefyingly idiotic.

So yes, as one of those irritating mistakes people of this planet constantly make, what you mention certainly gets on my nerves as well. I am glad I am not alone..

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Maybe some actually could care less?

edit on 8-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

join