It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombing heard near Benghazi - Battle of Benghazi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Bombing Heard at Benghazi, Libya -- UN Prepares Military Strikes

Bombing has been heard in Benghazi, as fears mount that Gaddafi is to strike before UN authorized military force. At least one fighter jet was heard. The world has been waiting to see if the Libyan dictator would continue his push into the city that is the last major stronghold of his opposition before the UN had a chance to respond.

At 4:37AM GMT, word started traveling through the wire services that something is beginning to happen in the city. Sketchy reports of bombing and at least one fighter jet over Benghazi first appeared as an unlinked banner on Reuter's website about 1:05AM EST this morning.

Just saw these articles coming out minutes ago. It is not known if it was Gaddafi forces or the UN.

Heres another article.

Explosions in Benghazi as residents say Khadafy forces attack rebels

BENGHAZI, Libya - Large explosions were heard in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi early on Saturday, and residents said that Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy’s forces were attacking the rebel stronghold.

A fighter jet could be heard over Benghazi, a Reuters correspondent in the city said, adding that the explosions were strong enough to shake a building.

“The explosions started about 2 a.m. Khadafy’s forces are advancing, we hear they’re 20 kms (12 miles) from Benghazi,“ Faraj Ali, a retired man who was with a group of men, said.

“It’s land-based fire. We saw one aircraft,” he added.

Edit - After reading the other few articles I posted a bit down this thread, it looks like there have been 2 airstrikes by Gaddafi forces, and the battle of Benghazi has begun.
edit on 19-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I can not find a link but while watching the news tonight it was reported that France had said that airstrikes could come as soon as a couple of hours.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

I heard that to while watching CNN. I believe there is going to be a summit in Paris at 8am Eastern time today (just a few more hours), and the French ambassador said strikes could happen within hours of that, if not earlier. We just have to wait and see.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The lunatic dictator is forcing America to attack.

He lies and lies and murders his own people.

Good for the UN and brave American forces.

And my heart goes out to those suffering people, and all the suffering to come.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Just found the Reuters articles

Residents blame Gaddafi forces after explosions in Benghazi

Reuters) - Explosions shook the Libyan city of Benghazi early on Saturday while a fighter jet was heard flying overhead, and residents said the eastern rebel stronghold was under attack from Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

Elsewhere in the city, rebels also reported skirmishes and strikes by Gaddafi forces.

The ceasefire has definantly been violated. It looks like Gaddafi is in an all out attack on Benghazi at the moment.

Libya rebels say pull back to Benghazi under attack

(Reuters) - Libyan rebels defending their eastern stronghold of Benghazi said Saturday they were being forced to retreat by Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

I now suspect the bombing by the plane was Gaddafi, not the UN

Edit - The 2nd article is about 10 minutes newer than the top article.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just found a new article that says there have been 2 airstrikes

Air strikes southwest of Libya's Benghazi : AFP

Planes carried out two air strikes southwest of Libya's rebel stronghold of Benghazi early Saturday and columns of smoke were seen rising from the targeted zone, AFP journalists reported.

Aircraft could be heard over the centre of the city, where explosions were heard throughout the night, as well as continuous gunfire and anti-aircraft fire.

The first air stike came at 7:20 GMT (0520 GMT) and the second followed around 20 minutes later, producing a thick column of black smoke that continued to sit in the sky nearly half an hour later.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
One thing that i believe to be very important is that America not be the firsts one to attack. Even though the Arab League of Nations is with us and the world on this no fly zone it still could be percieved as America leading the way again in another arab state and that just would not be a good thing.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
"...To the shores of Tripoli..."

Again.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
At the moment I believe that Gaddafi knows he will be obliterated within the next few days, if not hours, and is about to throw everything hes got at Benghazi. I have a feeling this battle could be a massacre. 24 hours ago, the people of Benghazi were celebrating in the streets, and now they're fighting for their lives.

Also, has anyone heard of any updates from Misrata? Last I heard there was intense fighting a few hours ago and they were saying Gaddafi dosent want to "capture" the cities, but wants to destroy and murder everyone there.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

And my heart goes out to those suffering people, and all the suffering to come.

Problem is, all of the suffering from here out will be from the business end of an American weapon.
We should have just kept our noses out of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
One of Gadaffis warplanes has just been shot down over Benghazi - Sky News is saying the Rebels shot it down - I wonder if it was us

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
The likes of Blair, Bush etc are waiting to see how much money they can make from these peoples suffering.
They have sat on the fence for weeks and allowed the murder of innocent people....because of OIL and other interests!! It makes me sick to think our leaders are more concerned about money than human life....scum of the earth...all of the leaders!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Yup a plane has been shot down over Benghazi.

Plane shot down over rebel-held city in Libya

BENGHAZI, Libya – A plane has been shot down over the main rebel-held city in eastern Libya.

An Associated Press reporter saw the plane go down in flames outside Benghazi early Saturday after the area came under shelling.

Not sure if the plane was brought down by the rebels or if the UN did it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Gaddafi forces push into rebel city of Benghazi

(Reuters) - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces pushed into the rebel-held city of Benghazi on Saturday, defying world demands for an immediate ceasefire and after France's U.N. envoy predicted an imminent military action

Gaddafi's forces advance into Benghazi pre-empted an international meeting hosted by France on Saturday to discuss military intervention in Libya. The meeting will be attended by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Arab leaders.

"We saw Gaddafi's tanks, cars and missile trucks less than five km away," a rebel fighter giving his name as Mohammed told Reuters.

"We have no hope in the Western forces," Ahmed added as around him rebel forces pulled back from the advancing frontline.

Its starting to look like Gaddafi may be winning the battle. I would think the rebels are praying the UN aircraft are on their way right now. If the UN dosent manage to stop this advance, it looks like it will be a massacre

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

After the crash a Libyan government official denied there were "no attacks whatsoever" by military forces on Benghazi.

It would be funny if people weren't dying out there. Sounds like the Iraqi information minister while American tanks were behind him - nothing to see here

news.sky.com... s=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15955468_Video%2C_Libya%3A_Explosions_Heard_In_Benghazi_Following_Warnings_From_Obama%2C_Cameron
edi t on 19-3-2011 by blackcat99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Pictures coming in from Yahoo.coms news

The plane being shot down

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48f9b2a8a567.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5edbcad86481.jpg[/atsimg]

After the plane crashes into the ground

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4873768fd5cf.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit- I do not know what kind of plane it is

Edit 2 - Watching al jazeera live and they said the rebels have 2 mig-23's but it is still unclear what kind/whos plane it was. Gunfire and plumes of smoke can be seen by their reporters. This link is al jazeera live english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
here is live video on Sky News of a plane going down:

news.sky.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Discover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

MiG-23MF/ML/MS/MLDs constitute the backbone of the air defense forces of Libya

It does look like a MIG - see here:-

www.enemyforces.net...
edit on 19-3-2011 by blackcat99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Discover

Just saw this posted on youtube.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

America is the only country powerful enough, and/or brave enough, to go in there.

Britain is a tame bulldog.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join