It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Reveals A Whole New SHTF Scenario

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The first six years of my life were spent in a waiting-for-the-apocalypse religious cult of the "Big Love" persuasion. Though my family left and I grew up semi-normal I have always retained that expectation that I may someday be living in a post apocalyptic world. That post apocalyptic world may come but I don't think anybody will be living in it.
The events in Japan have shown us that we live in a world full of nuclear disasters just waiting for something to disturb the regularly scheduled workers to show up each day and quell the seething inferno that would kill us all given half a chance. We can read between the lines of the news and see that in Japan today, mankind has overstepped his ability to control technology of his own devise. Only a relatively small area of Japan was destroyed. The majority of civilization remains to support and restore the problems there. If the disaster had been somewhat larger and incapacitated the majority of the country, most or all of the reactors there would be going critical. There are some very brave Japanese workers sacrificing there lives to lessen the disaster, but without the support of the surrounding civilization still intact, they would not be there. So here are a few conclusions I have come to based on what I have observed in Japan:

If a solar flare takes out the world power grids we my experience a few weeks if silence and bright starry nights before the backup generators at the world's reactors run out of fuel and we all fry.

If a nuke hits a city, thousands will die... then millions will die when the reactors there fail.

If Yellowstone blows, those not buried in the ash will soon die from the nuclear reactors that get de-staffed. People on other continents could soon be dieing.

A radiation cloud from one reactor could drift over another and cause a chain reaction of nuclear power plants with nobody to water the rods.

If mankind is that stupid, maybe it is better for the other inhabitants of our universe that we die of our own stupidity before we spread it around to infect other parts of the neighborhood. I like my warm shower enough to pay my electric bill but what price will I ultimately pay? Nuclear power gives us great comfort and convenience but it also guarantees that any event that would kill half of us will instead kill all of us. There will be more nuclear disasters, we as humans know there will be, and yet we will build more and yet more plants. You know we will.

The worst part about being stupid is that you are to stupid to know how stupid you really are...
May someone, somewhere have mercy on humanity and save us from our selves.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Sadly, you are correct. Nature has a certain power over us, but our technology is what is compounding that threat to a potential global issue.

We may make it through this event just fine......but what about next time?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'm sure there were some misanthropic people thinking the same thing when gunpowder was being used more frequently not just for war but for construction and such. There are risks with every technological advancement. We are probably no better or worse than any other intelligent race out there that developed space travel (they would have to go through similar processes don't you think?) But, you know, if you feel that humanity should not be around in the galaxy to spread it's "crap" (that's pretty much what you said) then why not take the first step forward and put the barrel in your mouth, aye?

Ps. I normally like your contributions.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Dear RedPill,

Don't worry, too much worrying on this site. Lets look at the basics, you will die, I promise. You will die on this earth. Whether there is a God or not, you die to this earth, everyone else has. You could die from a car accident (very likely), a heart attack (very likely) or cancer (very likely). There are many ways to die on this earth and none to not. It does not matter if we die by "fire or ice". Stupidity is easy, that can kill you. Eliminate all nuke plants and guess what, you are still going to die.

We may no longer need atomic plants; but, the Japanese needed them when they built them, it was worth the risk for them at that time. We are now being led to use green technology; but, the technology was not a valid option when the Japanese built the plants. We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, there is a place for nuclear power; but, not on fault lines and I live in California. The Japanese make about a third of their electricity from nuclear power, I am pretty sure that is going to change. After everything is handled the Japanese will set their minds to making better solar and wind power and they will bring down the cost. It will be how they restore their national honor, it is their way and they are pretty good at it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Can you imagine how devastating a nuclear war would be?

Not only do nuclear bombs explode everwhere, kill 100's of millions of people, create fallout, and a nuclear winter....BUT....

....then all these hundreds of nuclear reactors ALL OVER THE WORLD will in short order go critical, explode, and spread all their thousands and thousands of tons of nuclear radiation all around the planet.

A nuclear war would pretty much end the world as we know it - possibly pushing humans to extinction.

We are living on the precipice of a great void.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
There should have never been this many nuclear reactors to begin with, its just asking for trouble. So much money being poured into this highly reactive, extremely toxic, deadly energy source when the money would be better spent into cleaner alternative energy sources. I've always been a firm believer that so much nuclear research is just an accident waiting to happen.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
But, you know, if you feel that humanity should not be around in the galaxy to spread it's "crap" (that's pretty much what you said) then why not take the first step forward and put the barrel in your mouth, aye?

Can't really blame you for saying that but one person blowing his head of would not help. We might do more good by taking lessons from people like the Amish who shun technology. I don't think we should shun all technology, just the ones that kill millions if left unattended lol.
edit on 19-3-2011 by RedPill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Very good post and I hope there are enough like you the humanity survives. I am not really concerned about my own death but rather the death of humanity. I hope the Japanese can show us a safer way to toast our bread, they are just the ones who could do it.

edit on 19-3-2011 by RedPill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hm,looking at Japan now,and the warning from Experts about a possible Solar Storm between 2012 and 2013 when the Sun reaches it Maximum Activity, that could wipe out most if not all Power-Grids for Weeks if not Months or Years (there is a Thread about that somewhere on ATS),then that would pretty much suck a little bit...

No Energy for awhile might be our smallest Problem then...

Maybe OffTopic: Maybe its just me,but i get the feeling lately this Year is getting from weird,to bad,to Worse...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
One thing I think you'll never have to worry about is a nuclear war....TPTB do not want to have to live underground that long as it would take quite a while for all radiation to disperse. Now, they may go the neutron bomb route, but they will never create a nuclear war....They'll just keep spraying us, vaccinating us, HAARPing us, GM fooding us, pitting us one race against the other (waring us), and the like till they kill off all they want to get rid of. They have all the time in the world and all the technology to do it. They have been up to it now for 100's of yrs. and no-one has tried to stop them and never will....There has to come a BIG change in peoples thinking before this will ever come to a halt and I don't see this with the people living on the earth at this time.....So, sit back and enjoy the ride of your life at least while you have one !!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
Hm,looking at Japan now,and the warning from Experts about a possible Solar Storm between 2012 and 2013 when the Sun reaches it Maximum Activity, that could wipe out most if not all Power-Grids for Weeks if not Months or Years (there is a Thread about that somewhere on ATS),then that would pretty much suck a little bit...

No Energy for awhile might be our smallest Problem then...

Maybe OffTopic: Maybe its just me,but i get the feeling lately this Year is getting from weird,to bad,to Worse...

LOL. Loved your post. It is just getting weirder. How does science explain that, it doesn't, just keeps telling us that everything is normal and there is nothing to worry about, same thing a mayor in Japan complained about. It didn't get better and it is not going to, things are going to get worse and we all know it, we just don't know where next and it is not HAARP. Now we are trying to explain why things that don't make sense should occur on a regular basis, nobody over 40 buys that, it didn't used to be this way. The mass animal deaths, the quakes, the volcanoes, the complete failure of our economic systems (that is meant to keep you from asking about the other things), things are not normal, we are in the age of outliers and that gets really interesting. Be well.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." Albert Einstein

Einstein was obviously aware that sociopaths occupy most of the positions of power in our society.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do about it on a societal level. Sociopaths really are a cancer. They grow multipy uncontralably robbing the healthy cells and organism as a whole, of necessary nourishment. In any situation, a sociopath will lie, cheat steal, charm and manipulate their way into obtaining what they need no matter the cost to anyone around them. It makes them at least in the short term a successful parasite. The rest of us stand around and admire their success and secretly wish to emulate it.

As long as we buy into rampant materialism and look up to celebrities and other taalking head bozos we are stuck. The content of a person's character and not their house or bank account or good looks is what needs to matter.

Until then we will continue to live in a devastingly corrupt world with corrupt people making self serving decisions.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by robyn
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." Albert Einstein

Einstein was obviously aware that sociopaths occupy most of the positions of power in our society.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do about it on a societal level. Sociopaths really are a cancer. They grow multipy uncontralably robbing the healthy cells and organism as a whole, of necessary nourishment. In any situation, a sociopath will lie, cheat steal, charm and manipulate their way into obtaining what they need no matter the cost to anyone around them. It makes them at least in the short term a successful parasite. The rest of us stand around and admire their success and secretly wish to emulate it.

As long as we buy into rampant materialism and look up to celebrities and other taalking head bozos we are stuck. The content of a person's character and not their house or bank account or good looks is what needs to matter.

Until then we will continue to live in a devastingly corrupt world with corrupt people making self serving decisions.

Dear Robyn,

I don't know where to begin in agreeing with you. Materialism (cookie chasing as I call it) is the problem. Einstein was right; but, he still created nuclear technology, maximizing knowledge was more important to him. It doesn't end with him. As for sociopaths, I have dealt with them and don't care what they get, I don't want to be like them. On a brighter side, challenge is what moves people forward and I regret to say that even sociopaths have a purpose, they force us to push the envelope. There may be little good in them; but, they cause good to appear. The world has always corrupt; but, it needs good people to continue or all is truly lost. We get to choose which type of people we are. Be well and have a great weekend.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

I was talking about the issue of solar flares and these plants to my partner. It is indeed extremely concerning, as we know power can be out for months potentially if a biggie hits, as predicted by NASA. There are hundreds of these plants around the world. There is potential to wipe out most of the species if enough of these lost power and went into meltdown.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
So if this solar flare is legit, we are all guaranteed extinct? Do plants have an off switch if power goes out? or do they go into meltdown?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by splint

I think the point is, the off-switch is irrelevant. They do have automatic shutdown and failsafe procedures in place. However, the backup diesel generators will pump water only as long as they have fuel. Water must be continuously pumped over not only the current fuel rods, but also must be continuously pumped and circulated in the (often open-air) spent fuel pools.

As soon as the diesel runs out, or if for whatever reason the backup generators fail, if there is some logistical problem with delivery of new fuel at any one of these off-line plants, so that power is out for any appreciable length of time, there is potential for catastrophe beyond belief.

I refer you to the following statement by nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen:

This is certainly right now bumping up against the magnitude of Chernobyl. It’s clearly passed what happened at Three Mile Island. And it’s not clear that this situation may not get worse, not better. You know, Chernobyl was one reactor. There are three in either partial meltdown or meltdown. And then the other one has a fuel pool fire. And I understand this morning that the temperatures in the other two fuel pools are also increasing. So, you know, I’ve said before that this could easily become Chernobyl on steroids.

Source: "Chernobyl on Steroids"

The problem at Fukushima was not the earthquake damaging the reactors (that we know of), nor was it damage to the reactors by the tsunami (that we know of). The primary source of the problem was the lack of electricity to run the pumps, mostly because the backup diesel generators were located on low ground where they were damaged by the tsunami. If these generators had been on the roofs, none of this may have happened at all. The OP's point is that this same crisis has the potential to happen at all nuclear plants simultaneously in the event of a sustained power outage (as is likely to occur with a giant X-class solar flare) - wherever there is a failure to continuously fuel the backup generators.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Though the plants have back generators, they too are subject to a CME flare.Anything electrical which is not shielded or grounded will suffer melt down itself.
The odds that all the nuke plants are ready for a CME are slim.
The premise of the OP is chilling but right on the money.
I too have been very against nuclear energy from the start.Not only do we end up with a bunch of old irradiated facilities, but we also have accumulated vast quantities of waste which is deadly to humans for thousands if not millions of years.
How the PTB have justified this is through manipulation ans lies.
We will be suffering for many centuries with this problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

One word:
Wormwood

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by splint
So if this solar flare is legit, we are all guaranteed extinct? Do plants have an off switch if power goes out? or do they go into meltdown?

No off switch. It is like the plot of a movie where some machine is going crazy and you can't unplug it. If you unplug a nuclear reactor, the cooling pumps stop, the rods over heat and go into melt down. Even the spent fuel is kept in pools of water with active cooling pumps keeping them from going critical. It require continuous uninterrupted human input to keep them running at the proper temperature.
It could have been much worse in Japan. If FEMA was there, they could have herded everyone into a convention center and blocked all the escape routes.

Here is a reminder of how FEMA handled Katrina

Better make your own disaster plan and expect FEMA to help like aftershocks help earthquake victims.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Surely the people who commissioned, designed, and built these plants must have known that this was likely, yet they went ahead and built them anyway? Why is money more important than life to so many people? Do they really think that they are the only beings on this planet that matter? It seems there is a real force of evil at work here, one seeking to eradicate as much life from this planet as possible. Look at all the mass destruction already carried out by the rich and powerful. I fear we are too late to stop it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join