It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Central NY's Fishkill....It could be the fracking Gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This time, on a smaller scale, it hits me closer to home. This happened less than an hour from my front door...

Elmira, N.Y. --- Hundreds of dead fish have floated to the surface in one Elmira pond. The dead fish on Millers pond were first spotted yesterday. Officials say the cause of death is winterkill. The DEC says winterkill happens when ice and snow prevent sunlight from entering the pond. It prevents aquatic plants from producing oxygen, which kills the fish. But some neighbors aren't convinced.

Full Story Here

I know they claim "winter Kill", but this happening so close to my area, I had to take notice of it. This happened near the same region that Energy companies are fracking in the shale beds. Add to this, the complaints of natural gas seeping in to residential well water across the Twin Tiers of New York and Pennsylvania. One Tioga County, PA town has even had to quarantine cattle for exposure to frackwater from Chesapeake Energy's operations. NYS has been fighting to keep out these companies, but that won't last for long. Can it all be connected? I think so.

A Note About Fracking:

Natural Gas can be found embedded inside large shale beds across regions of the Northeast and many other regions elsewhere. Companies blast water deep in to these layers of shale, to extract the natural gas thats contained within. The issues in NY and PA, is where the waste waters, known as Frackwater, drain to or are transported to for disposal. Frackwater contains minute levels of radiation.

NY and PA has been booming with several energy companies, seeking these pockets of gas. They've spent millions of dollars in one PA county, just building housing facilities. At the same time, their trucks have been destroying roads, contaminating groundwater and causing price gouging in area rentals, jacking rental rates up to as high as $2,100 a month. And those places used to be only $400 a month.
edit on 3/18/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: Changed the title to fit better

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I was just gonna do a thread on fracking
I mean I had a title and two links going and I decided not too... I'm not really educated on recent mass extinctions so if someone could educate me that would be awesome!

I have a question: with a giant global conscience shift, a dangerous nuclear power plant, mass extinctions etc... Do you think the whole 2012 thing is legit? I'm not sure.... I mean the whole the Earth is going to enter a new phase thing....

Edit to add: S&F
edit on 18-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

It does seem like everything is reaching some sort of ultimate climax for 2012, doesn't it?

Honestly, I don't know if we'll even make it to 2012

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Updated my OP with more facts about Hydrofracking and the local impact of said activities.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I think I might agree with you on this but for it's not only happening in NY, PA. All around EQ zones... animals are dying. Millions of fish in Cali just came up dead. New Zeland dead animals. Japan...same thing. When they see large piles of fish dying...they know that's a sign of an EQ. All the dead birds and fish in the Midwest....they've had a bunch of earthquakes around the area of the dead animals... they say when an earthquake is going to happen it changes the magnetic force and the animals can't follow what they would normally follow...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

This is the first major fishkill in upstate NY. Elmira is landlocked, in central NY. Very close to the areas where hydrofracking is taking place. This is why I raised such an eyebrow over it this time.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Apparently there is no more snow and ice in your area, correct? Have you heard of this happening in your area before?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

This has never been reported on this scale in this area. And the past year is when the hydrofracking ramped up nearby. It seems too obvious to me, what really killed them. Yet, the NYDEC of course, tells another story.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I noticed an earthquake near NY earlier today and I automatically thought of fracking. I am not claiming an correlation between the events at all and I cannot remember the exact location of said quake... just another coincidence I guess.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

It wouldn't surprise me. Although, there is an ancient secondary fault that runs near the Hudson Valley, but that area is a few hours east-northeast of where this kill took place.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
wow!!!...something happening in my neck of the woods...i live in sayre,pa, thats less than 15 minutes away from elmira...i didnt know anything like could happen..there is no longer any ice or snow in the area it was 70 degrees today. My girlfriend bartended at the best western in sayre where a lot of the gas guys stay and had many conversations about the negative effects of gas drilling. and among one of the many issues were that the drilling was causing methane to get into the water actually causing the water to become flamable. in some cases people were lighting lighters up to their faucets and it was lighting, many of the drillers like to deny it or make up some excuse but you cant deny facts. so hearing fish (ect.) are dying actually doesnt surprise me and i can almost guarantee because of the drilling knowing about the methane, but unfortuantely as usual drilling is money and jobs so they will always overlook the negative and make up more and more excuses to continue and follow the money trail.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I know where Sayre is, lol, I'm over here near Elkland believe it or not. But yeah, its been a hot topic on 18 News since last Fall. And more to come I'm afraid.
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

If you're interested in fracking and the dangers surrounding it, as well as the effects of it... we have one fantastic thread about it already. Great folks within, posting regularly, etc. That thead can be found here:

ATS Thread - Earthquake Swarm In Arkansas Intensifies...

Don't let that title fool you. It's not just about Arkansas.

Also, as there are many of us working together for a greater good, we have compiled an astronomical list of resources and articles. We created a thread just for that. You can find it here:

ATS Trhead - Resource Bibliography for Earthquake Swarm...

Feel free to head on over and jump in.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

yeah i dont watch much local news. my girlfriend has told me most of the things that i have found out about this stuff. and if it wasnt for your thread i proabably wouldnt have heard about this for awhile so thanks for putting it out there still cant believe being as close to elm as i am that i didnt hear about this from at least people talking at the mini marts. must be people just brush it off as being of no importance because they believe in the garbage excuses theyre given.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Most welcome.

Thats why I posted this thread. Otherwise, I feel that this local incident along with the local controversy over the fracking, would go unheard.

top topics

join