It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Russians monitoring ATS members through Skype?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Explanation: S&F!

Privacy group raises concerns over Skype (by Angela Moscaritolo March 17, 2011) [scmagazineus.com]

Privacy International, a nonprofit privacy watchdog, this week pressured voice over internet protocol (VoIP) provider Skype to address concerns over the security of its services.

In a statement, Privacy International said it has reviewed Skype's technology and identified a number of security deficiencies that place users at risk. Specifically, Skype's interface uses full names on its contact list instead of usernames, making it easy to impersonate others, the group said.

Skype's Security Holes Threaten User Safety, Group Says (by Sara Yin March 17, 2011 01.37pm EST) [pcmag.com]

In 2008 Skype's reputation in China took a hit after admitting it monitored texts and calls for "sensitive words." The Australian police has also publicly claimed it can bug Skype calls, though Skype has never commented on the matter.

Note: Please refer to both links for full story etc.

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thank you OL, very interesting!

Your links lead me to wonder about other security issues with skype, at first it seems to be pretty secure, as people have said earlier in the thread.

Skype uses 256 bit AES encryption to encrypt communication between users,[1][2] complicating the decryption of these communications.[3] Skype's encryption is inherent in the Skype Protocol and is transparent to callers. This integration enables the regular use of (as of 2011) completely private[dubious – discuss] communication by the general public.

Skype security wiki

But that same page also state concerns of there being backdoors that enable people to eavesdrop partly fuelled by remarks like this

Speaking at a recent meeting on lawful interception between ISPs and Austrian regulators, an unnamed "high-ranking" official at Austria's interior ministry said that listening into a conversation over Skype presented no particular problems,

link

edit on 19-3-2011 by davespanners because: spelling

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'd just like you to make a mental note to subtract one star and one flag as I erred in giving you such when my tabs didn't react as speedily as my pulsating pointer finger on my Magic Mouse. Have a great day! Best regards.

Yours

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Instead of that I've just made a mental note to subtract this post from the thread and keep the flag... Thx!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join