It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Russians monitoring ATS members through Skype?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just wondering. Why would the ID not read in Russian?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I assume because the IP Address Location Database it uses to resolve the IP's has the names in English

Here is the point on the map where it resolves too.
I'm not sure if there is any harm in posting the actual IP or not, just playing it safe incase I'm making some dumb error, which is more then likely

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The screenshot's blurred, but it looks like the IP address is in this range:

inetnum: 82.32.0.0 - 82.47.255.255
netname: UK-CABLEINET-20030131
descr: Virgin Media Limited
org: ORG-CIL2-RIPE
admin-c: TWIP3-RIPE
tech-c: TWIP1-RIPE
remarks: For abuse notifications please file an online case @ netreport.virginmedia.com...
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower: AS5462-MNT
mnt-routes: AS5462-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

organisation: ORG-CIL2-RIPE
org-name: Virgin Media Limited
org-type: LIR
address: Virgin Media Limited
Jonathan Gist
Building 270, Floor 2, Column 2
Bartley Wood Business Park, Bartley Way
RG27 9UP Hook, Hampshire
UNITED KINGDOM
phone: +44 (0)2920305064
fax-no: +44 (0)2920305879
e-mail: planninginformation.management@virginmedia.co.uk
admin-c: AM2111-RIPE
admin-c: BP1066-RIPE
admin-c: CW1083-RIPE
admin-c: JG2660-RIPE
admin-c: NNMC1-RIPE
admin-c: NR731-RIPE
admin-c: WB1700-RIPE
mnt-ref: AS5462-MNT
mnt-ref: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

role: Telewest Broadband NCMC
address: Communications House
address: Mayfair Business Park
address: Broad Lane
address: Bradford
address: BD4 8PW
e-mail: PlanningInformation.Management@virginmedia.co.uk
admin-c: DL2891-RIPE
admin-c: SR10413-RIPE
tech-c: JH15424-RIPE
nic-hdl: TWIP3-RIPE
mnt-by: as5462-mnt

role: Telewest Broadband IP Network Services
address: Genesis Business Park
address: Albert Drive
address: Woking
address: Surrey UK
address: GU21 5RW
e-mail: ripe@telewest.net
remarks: To report abuse:
remarks: file an online case @ netreport.virginmedia.com...
admin-c: JH15424-RIPE
tech-c: SA3620-RIPE
tech-c: SB5110-RIPE
tech-c: JH15424-RIPE
nic-hdl: TWIP1-RIPE
mnt-by: AS5462-MNT

Assuming I'm reading the blurred out bit correctly (i'm squinting here, so feel free to correct me), it's a residential UK ISP. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.

whois.domaintools.com...

There's no such thing as IP spoofing, not for any useable reason. You can spoof where data packets are coming from, but the target machine would reply to the spoofed IP as if it had sent them, you wouldn't get a reply.

PeerBlock's IP ranges are wrong or out of date, It would seem. Even if they weren't, Skype etc uses P2P technology, it wouldn't be unusual for the Russkies to be connecting to your computer if they were using skype too.

www.skype.com...

The lessons learned? There isn't always a conspiracy. Don't take anything at face value - investigate it yourself.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yeah your right about that being a UK ISP, because it's my ISP.
Ok.. Here is the record for PeerBlock from, yesterday..

As you see the Russian address is listed as the destination, which makes even less sense to me

I guess what you say about skype using p2p would probably explain it. Sorry if the initial post was confusing as I am confused about it myself

I'm just trying to get some kind of explanation as to what was occurring here.

Edit to add.
If posting the IP is forbidden then can a mod please tell me, I can't think of any way of furthering the discussion without it though
edit on 19-3-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Edit to add again
As you can see they are in blocks of 4 different time periods which coincide with the 4 different times I started up skype
edit on 19-3-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Why not phone your ISP and ask for their input?
2nd line

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ah, that's your home IP, I see. Right enough the Ips you've posted are in the mspd range.

inetnum: 194.8.70.0 - 194.8.71.255
netname: MOIA-NET
descr: Ministry of Interior Affairs of Russian Federation
descr: Network of Ministry of Interior Affairs RF
org: ORG-MIA9-RIPE
admin-c: MIA-ORG
tech-c: MIA-ORG
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-lower: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-by: MIA-MNT
mnt-lower: MIA-MNT
mnt-routes: MIA-MNT
mnt-domains: MIA-MNT

It'll just be that someone there was using skype, and due to skype's P2P tech, it's routed their traffic through you, or vice versa I reckon, nothing dodgy. It'd be trivial for them to route their traffic through a box in a datacentre such as OVH etc, so if they were doing anything dodgy, I'd expect them to do that rather than show clearly where the traffic's coming from/going to.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

It's a fair point.

To be honest I thought that someone would just come up with a very simple explanation as soon as I posted the thread and I wouldn't think anything more of it.

I think it's pretty darn unlikely that I'm the target of some kind of spying operation

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SawneyBean

Thank you. That seems reasonable

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I think your a Russian sleeper agent..

...All we need now is to discover your trigger phrase..

...Hmm let's see now....The Badger Has The Donuts...The Ocelot Is In The Outhouse.

Cosmic...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
LOL. I am Russian so this was kind of funny though I don't think I gave my skype info to anyone at ATS yet, I was planning to listen to the live show tonight and living in Ohio I think its 9 PM, plus I was going to get out the old telescope to see if I could spot any UFOs on the super moon (though its kind of cloudy here today hope it clears up so I can see close to the moon.

Anyways just wanted to state its next to near impossible you are being spied on by anyone let alone Russia on Skype. Skype has an encryption protocol thats preety much impossible to decipher (just try to download wireshark on your machine and then send messages or audio through skype), all you will get is packets that say you have stuff originating from skype, but they are encrypted so highly doubtable you will be able to decipher anything. (There are other programs other then skype IM/audio wise that suck at doing this and are not encrypted so wireshark intercepts them rather easily, but Skype is no slouch in Security).

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

There's no such thing as IP spoofing, not for any useable reason. You can spoof where data packets are coming from, but the target machine would reply to the spoofed IP as if it had sent them, you wouldn't get a reply.

Exactly!

IP address's can be spoofed. Let's say the Russian Interior computer was found to have an open port...somebody could route their traffic thru that computer to make their requests, re-routing themselves thru the Russian computer for network traffic.

OR

Computers on the web also can ping your computer for open ports and report back to you that their IP address is say...a Russian Interior computer's IP address. If you tried sending a ping back to them you would get the REAL Russian computer....the person spoofing their IP address wouldn't be tracked back to. Somebody is sniffing out vulnerabilities....or information.

Information is $$$.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

The Pink leopard is turning under the Ocelot by the moonlight on the Yacht comrade

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Makes sense. I'm always getting messages on Skype from strange Russians trying to sell me brides

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Calm down Dave, your cat's getting paranoid. lol

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Seems to me that I remember from over a year ago Russia being pissed at Skype or banning it for a nationalized service.

I'll try to find the link.

Russia's most powerful business lobby moved to clamp down on Skype and its peers this week, telling lawmakers that the Internet phone services are a threat to Russian businesses and to national security.

Reuters
edit on 12/30/79 by TheRealJayZ because: Link from 2009

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I just want to use the 'reply' button to repeat earlier advice to remove pic and blackout the IP addresses...they are still visible.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Who cares, as they would only get what the CIA wants them to get....

The US Military’s use of software to manipulate and control the American people is especially insidious as it will be rolled out on their already existing platforms of message boards such as the Above Network LLC owned website AboveTopSecret.Com that is funded by the Central Intelligence Agencies (CIA) venture capital arm In-Q-Tel and that purports itself to be the “largest and most popular web site for alternative topics”, but instead, many believe, continually provides its members list to the US Department of Homeland Security while smearing all thought and opinions critical of the US power structure and its elite leaders.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

#! I'm only a lover of the conspiracys.. and im in the black list now? crapp!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Start to worry if you get anything from the Road Runner Commercial network near Langley, Virginia. Or from wherever MI5 is in the UK. Hubby's website was broken in and it was from RR near Langley. A bit spooky.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I removed the pic from my folder as soon as you alerted me about it, but it's still showing up in the thread which is annoying

I've contacted a mod about it so hopefully it will be gone soon

<< 1    3 >>

join