It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power restored to damaged plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is totally hear-say, but a person in IRC claiming to be in Japan is reporting that they have completed connecting a power transmission line, which means they can now run the pumps (if they still work).

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I know they were trying to fix the power lines leading to the less damaged reactor first, probably this is what the IRC user heard.. anyways finally some good news from Japan!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

thats good news i hope it continues . we should all hail the heroes the men and women who have given up their future to protect the rest of the world

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Yeah, this was actually reported earlier in the day. Apparently they have the power line connected, but have not attempted to put electricity through the line (i.e., turn stuff on). They need to go through the plant first and see how badly equipment is damaged to avoid short-circuits.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here's a link

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Here is another link : Clicky Clicky

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Doesnt matter. Running electricity to fried electronics isnt exactly going to fix the situation. Remember the saltwater being used?

Yeah, electronics tend to not work so well once doused in saltwater.....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Not even TEPCO is claiming they are trying to restore power to the whole plant.

They're trying to connect the pumps for one reactor.

It's like showing up at your house after it burns down (and then floods) with an extension cord plugged in somewhere else and sticking it in the twisted remains of your toaster. Even if you somehow solve your immediate making toast problem, the scope of your other problems kind of makes it pointless.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

maybe i'm wrong but i'm assuming they would use different electronics? this might not be possible but i imagine they would understand it's not going to work through the electronics they have there now

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

I starred your response. I also laughed because of it.
Not because I think this whole situation funny. I think it is all real sad. I laughed at the analogy. It was what Ive been thinking all along. I know it sounds great that they have power... But to what. I think it is just a ploy to get us off they're back. But I'm not stopping till I hear the truth. Not for my sake sitting here in comfortable US.(for now). But for the poor Japanese people whO have been lied to.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
This is totally hear-say, but a person in IRC claiming ..

NO matter what you follow this up with, it's going to be rejected by 90% of viewers/listeners.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by onyx718
reply to post by captaintyinknots

maybe i'm wrong but i'm assuming they would use different electronics? this might not be possible but i imagine they would understand it's not going to work through the electronics they have there now

Thats my point, even after electricity is restored, they still have to figure out how to get all new equipment in there. This is a hail mary, and it is is one really only meant to make the people feel a little safer.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Right now the only thing they are trying to run is some electric motors to pump water. They just want the water pumps to work at this point. They will worry about the rest later.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

In a statement Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) said it "planned to supply Unit 2 [reactor No. 2] first, followed by Unit 1, Unit 3 and Unit 4 ... because Unit 2 is expected to be less damaged".

www.abc.net.au...

Hopefully it works, but we'll see.
edit on 18/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Right now the only thing they are trying to run is some electric motors to pump water. They just want the water pumps to work at this point. They will worry about the rest later.

Again, they can try all they want. Until they get new machinery in there, its a farce.

Dont get me wrong, they need power, it is definitely one of the steps here, no matter which way things go. But that it is being played up by the media as 'the possible solution' is total bs....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'm sure this will all be fixed soon. People saying it won't work are doomsayers . They arent there in Japan. They dont know the extent of damage. Im sure they arent just connecting electricity for nothing.
edit on 19-3-2011 by splint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by splint
I'm sure this will all be fixed soon. People saying it won't work are doomsayers . They arent there in Japan. They dont know the extent of damage. Im sure they arent just connecting electricity for nothing.

I'm sorry, are you a nuclear technician? If not, please dont insult the opinions of others who are (obviously) more informed than you.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by splint

Well, I'm not a doomsday. I don't think connecting power is the solution. I believe the only solution is to bury it in concrete. I want the world to be happy and peaceful and everyone to sing happy songs. I don't want this. Not for Japanese people or the world. If I wasn't right about anything I am right about this. They need to Chernobyl this @&$!.

Peace

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The consensus from news sources is that getting power to the site is necessary, but not sufficient, because it is unknown whether the equipment is even functioning.

I echo the sentiments of other posters here. It might be a long while before they can actually use the electricity.

There's also information like this which may be telling:

At the request of the Japanese military, a Massachusetts company, iRobot, said it put four robots on a plane for Japan on Friday. Colin Angle, the chief executive, said it had sent two small robots that could measure radiation levels close to the reactors and two larger ones that could pull hoses to spray water on the fuel rods.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Noscible because: changed tags

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join