It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick! Go outside and look up.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Sorry don't know if i can upload a cellphone photo without a usb for the phone

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
What do you see? take a picture

I can't. When I posted about the odd crescent Moon I tried to get some shots with my digital junk pile and the moon looked like a lightbulb shot from 300 yards away.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I just looked at it with a telescope....first time! It was extremely bright! it seemed that the angle was of a bit, from pics that i have seen. Hmm? maybe we have shifted on our axis?
edit on 18-3-2011 by thorazineshuffle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
CNN article

(CNN) -- If the moon looks a little bit bigger and brighter this weekend, there's a reason for that. It is.

Saturday's full moon will be a super "perigee moon" -- the biggest in almost 20 years. This celestial event is far rarer than the famed blue moon, which happens once about every two-and-a-half years.

"The last full moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," said Geoff Chester with the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. "I'd say it's worth a look."

Full moons look different because of the elliptical shape of the moon's orbit. When it's at perigee, the moon is about 31,000 miles (50,000 km) closer to Earth than when it's at the farthest point of its orbit, also known as apogee.

"Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the moon's orbit," the NASA website says.

This full moon will rise in the east at sunset and should look especially big at that time because of what's known as the "moon illusion."

"For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects," according to NASA.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

I rushed to grab my camera and ran outside but when I got there the moon fused back together somehow.

maybe it was my eyes playing tricks on me.
If I see it again I will try to grab a quicker photo.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Just looked out my back window and yep it looks shady, and most definetly has rotated slower and tilted by 5 degress or so,the man on the moon looks different,hes squint.,holy molle and very bright,I have never seen this its like its rotation facing earth has changed slightly

edit on 18-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonspit

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
It looks pretty bright. I'm not sure what you're seeing?

The group of shadows (mares) that form a "pincer" on the lower right side of the Moon pointing downward are now almost completely horizontal and near the top of the right side. It appears as though the Moon was rotated to the left several degrees.

wait, can we suggest its not the moon that moved, but maybe earth moved a WHOLE LOT! freaky....

Not sure which one is out of line but something is certainly wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Well, didn't our axis get shifted (again) with the massive quake in Japan?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Ok here are two photos of the moon that I took today. The first was taken about 5-10 minutes ago from my back steps in Lafayette, La. The second was taken at around 7 p.m. central time also in Lafayette, La. The building in the foreground is called the LITE Center.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e7b200f6cef.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d1b3fc72db3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have a picture I took two nights ago with an unusual bright spot on it, but can't figure out how to add it to the post from my computer, I don't have a subscription to an image hosting site. It's overcast here tonight so I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amberry
CNN article

(CNN) -- If the moon looks a little bit bigger and brighter this weekend, there's a reason for that. It is.

Saturday's full moon will be a super "perigee moon" -- the biggest in almost 20 years. This celestial event is far rarer than the famed blue moon, which happens once about every two-and-a-half years.

"The last full moon so big and close to Earth occurred in March of 1993," said Geoff Chester with the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. "I'd say it's worth a look."

Full moons look different because of the elliptical shape of the moon's orbit. When it's at perigee, the moon is about 31,000 miles (50,000 km) closer to Earth than when it's at the farthest point of its orbit, also known as apogee.

"Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the moon's orbit," the NASA website says.

This full moon will rise in the east at sunset and should look especially big at that time because of what's known as the "moon illusion."

"For reasons not fully understood by astronomers or psychologists, low-hanging moons look unnaturally large when they beam through trees, buildings and other foreground objects," according to NASA.

The last paragraph was so absolutely idiotic it took a full two minutes to process it! The "low hanging moon" looks larger near trees, buildings etc. because of perspective, I'm sure the folks at NASA are aware of it. Where the hell does CNN get this crap?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
OMG its a double rainbow....

...SObs....

double rainbow...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
OP,

go to bed.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresenttense

The first picture is great, it shows the "pincer" at the top facing right, but it's partly cut on the right side (the important side). Can you post entire moon as you currently see it or a full version of that picture?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresenttense

For some reason I can't get the pics to show up small enough to see in the post full-frame..ugh...here are links:

i194.photobucket.com...
i194.photobucket.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Please take some pics, upload them and then explain what you are seeing if you can... sounds interesting and can't see here yet in the southern hemisphere.

Not raining here in SA and is a perfect, beautiful and cloudless day so can't wait for tonight!

edit on 18/3/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

ditto & I feel like a total idiot for reading the title of this thread & immediately running outside & hurting my eyes looking up on this bright sunny cloudless day before even reading the op....

looking forward to tonight's moon though, should be epic

-B.M

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
OP,

go to bed.

Poster,
Wake up!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It's bright but she looks the same to me, and I look at her every month.

2nd line
edit on 18-3-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
Reporting from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I am not reading any replies before I post this, as to not obscure what I feel I observed. The moon looks not much bigger tonight than any other regular moon. It is very bright though, I found it hard to look at for long periods of time. I noticed that the light was far more concentrated, thus making the sky appear darker off to the west of the moon (Orion's Belt)

So, I came back in and looked at a picture of a full moon. Just a random image on Google. For some reason, IMO, tonight it looks like the moon is at a slightly different angle. The patterns of the crater (darker spots) do not appear to be in the same position...
Maybe I am suffering from lunar madness...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I'm kinda feeling guilty for being less than enthusiastic about yet another one of your threads, buuuut...

The moon is almost directly overhead now. When it is (or as close to overhead as it's going to get - it's meridian), it will be tilted 90 degrees. When it rose, it wasn't tilted at all. When it sets, it will appear to be upside-down. It happens every night. I'm not sure what other subtle differences we're supposed to be seeing, but it's all a matter of perspective and the moon's position in the sky. The same things happens when you hold a picture of the moon and move it in an arc over your head.

Honestly, I hope one of these threads of yours actually turns out to be something more than an artefact of location, complex orbital mechanics, or an unrelated orbital anomaly in an obscure scientific paper. I keep reading them with that hope in mind. Not that I want the moon to fall over or to be out of place...I just hate having to seem like I'm picking on you.

edit on 18-3-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join