It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 Significant Earthquakes in the last 30 days.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I do not really remember a time when we had more than 600 significant earthquakes for a period of 30 days. A significant earthquake = earthquake with the magnitude 4 or above. Most of the times I remember the value to be somewhere between 250 and 300 earthquakes on a period of 30 days. However, within the next 24 hours we will reach the landmark of 1000.

Source:
www.iris.edu...

See bottom of the page.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I dont know.... I remember it being pretty active at the beginning of last year too and people were forecasting it to be the year of the earth quake.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Good find.
Even though I don't believe the Super Moon has anything to do with any of the events that have taken place, I still find the timing very interesting.

S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I will try to take Japan out of the 1000 list , to see what is left..

Done it - 348 earthquakes above the magnitude of 4 , in the last 30 days - not counting Japan. Still quite high..
edit on 18-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
May of had one in Florida, but not seen by USGS? www.wftv.com... I posted this in another thread, sorry if I'm mongering but I think it might be significant, esp since I live on east coast and we had 2 quakes here in NC last Wed.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
USGS seems to be going down, not saying you are wrong in your assumption, I'm just hoping for the best.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pintobean

Wow.. interesting ! Something is not right in my opinion and this is why: the frequency of after-shocks in Japan did go down, however the amplitude (strength) of the earthquakes seems to be leveling .Two hours ago we still had a 5.9 earthquake in Japan, this is more like a self-sustained oscillation :
www.answers.com...
edit on 18-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS members . Just a couple of facts that might make this week-end very interesting to say the least. We have all been watching the events so far this year and the unprecedented amount of earthquakes we have been having not only in magnitude but also in location ( small but in odd places ). I can't help but wonder what is around the corner for North America as we have not really seen much going on apart from the usual rumbling we have become accustom to seeing around The San Andreas Fault and Cascadia Subduction zone. Ok i am sure many of us are aware of the super moon On March 19th, a super "perigee moon" the biggest in almost 20 years. What some of you may not be aware of, is that it is also a Spring equinox on 03/20/2011 and to top it all off we have the close alignment with the comet ( or red dwarf ) Elinin. So what does all this mean? To be honest I don't have the first clue but there has been a lot of speculation that the moon has a lot to do with quakes right here on good old mother earth. Why this happens is unclear but to me all I can think is that if the moon can control the tide as it does, it must be applying some kind of force on our planet (Magnetism, gravitational force ). Again I don't know. I guess I am wondering if these three events will put a hell of a lot of stress on our planet and subsequently produce a Catastrophic event on west coast of America.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Just to add a little more info to this South California just had about 13 small earthquakes in the last 40 minutes.I would say thats a large number even for a area like California 18/3/11

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by diamonddave

I guess it is bit hard to predict the location of possible catastrophes, the Earth is rotating therefore the part exposed to the moon for example, is changing all the time. In regards to the super-moon: this should be tonight and tomorrow , so Japan should not have too much to do with it. The tide is caused by the gravitational pool of the moon therefore a stronger effect on Earth should lead to higher than usual tides. Did anyone observe such changes in the last 24 hours? What i also know that the increase of gravitational force is not proportional to the distance, as the gravity is exponential.

Gravitational forces are directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the distance squared. While still directly proportional to the mass, tidal forces are inversely proportional to the cube (not square) of the distance. To those versed in calculus, this inverse cube effect comes from the derivative of the gravitational force law.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
within the next 24 hours we will reach the landmark of 1000.
Source:
www.iris.edu...

See bottom of the page.

As expected, we now have 1002 earthquakes on magnitude 4 or above , for the last 30 days. The day was / is quite interesting - this is the global map:

www.iris.edu...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Update - the total number of significant Earthquakes in the last 30 days is reaching:

Source:
www.iris.edu...
(see the bottom of this page)
edit on 22-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
1200 significant earthquakes in the last 30 days!

The density of the earthquakes appears to decrease , however the magnitude is still quite strong.

new topics

top topics

join