It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for Parents from an 18 Year Old.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Yeah, so I see you're a heavy user of the stuff?

It would explain a lot.

It has evidently warped your mind.

The only people who support taking drugs are the addicts who try to justify their stupid mistake.

I also LAUGH at your suggestion we have more morals then ever, society today is DEVOID of anything morally good.
edit on 19/3/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Drugs....No I don't think so. My Father when he was alive and I was growing up was a major "grower" Weed was there, rolled and there for the taking. For Me I Never had a taste for weed did not like the effect HOWEVER.. IT DID NOT STOP me from moving on to other's. I, thank goodness, never got addidcted to anything. UNFORTUNATLY, I can't say the same for two of my siblings.
I had to work for what I wanted when I was young. I see far too many parents "GIVING" their kids whatever they want (those with the financial means) and are still not prepared for the real world.

Views change as you grow older and mature.. There is plenty that I do agree with in your post, It's nothing more than common sense. BUT when children have children, and people place their career's in front of raising their children, or think that once they have children they are still entitled to a "Life" , or they are just plain selfish with the "what about me" attitude, well then you have poor parenting.
There is a great poem out there. "Children learn what they live" look it up.

All people are different. Two children can be raised in the same house, by the same parents and still turn out night and day.

BUT you are on the right path, I think You will do well as a parent in the future as long as you hold true to those values and don't let life get in the way, because it does.
PS I have a Son 23 and a daughter 21 and I could not be more proud of them both!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
the issue with drugs in my opinion as ive taken afew different 1s in the past is i wouldnt be happy at all if i found out 1 of my kids was takin drugs if they spoke to me about wanting to try drugs i would try to talk them out of it but would tell them if they were going to do it id prefare to know when and where so i could keep an eye on them i know its bad but its better than not knowing anything at all

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8

Yeah, so I see you're a heavy user of the stuff?

It would explain a lot.

It has evidently warped your mind.

The only people who support taking drugs are the addicts who try to justify their stupid mistake.

I also LAUGH at your suggestion we have more morals then ever, society today is DEVOID of anything morally good.
edit on 19/3/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

Actually I drink alcohol very rarely. And the only "drugs" I've taken(outside of Alcohol and tobacco) is Cannabis, in small quantities and infrequently. The last time I touched the stuff was a good 6 months ago. Hardly shouts out dependency. You simply want to pigeon hole any arguments or viewpoints different to yours. If someone supports the right of others to have a beer, or doesn't slander them and insult them for that, it must be because they themselves are alcoholics. Only an alcoholic would refuse to view people who drink beer as gutter rats!

tbh you're a bit of a deluded fruitcake. Really, the only people who take drugs or refuse to slander those taking drugs are addicts? So someone like me, who smokes the stuff thrice a year, is addicted? You realise you sound at best incredibly ignorant. You claim to be intelligent, but have absolutely no idea of the issues you speak on. You sound seriously indoctrinated, and know next to nothing. All you can offer on this subject is hatred. Hatred and insults. You believe drugs are bad, and those that take them are bad, and this much is self-evident. But refuse to offer any evidence, only hatred and insults.

And I stand by my observations on human morals. This generation are for the most part far more moral and ethically aware. They're against war, sexism, bigotry, racism, homophobia, capitalism, even killing animals. And this will continue. In a few decades my generation will be viewed negatively by the kids of the time, with good reason.

The older generations were and are infected with vulgar racism, bigotry and hatred of all things unfamiliar. Kind of like your vulgar bigotry towards those who happen to have an occasional beer or joint. You hate anyone different to yourself. You're unable to take on anything that's good, or different or decent about other cultures and people.

Ultimately you're a small and bitter little man. You sound like the type of person who'd go out and shoot up a school. If I was a new-age hippy I'd say you're giving off bad vibes, man.

The hate, anger and stress within you is doing more harm for you than any brand of beer will. I'm worried for your health. Turn that frown upside down brother.

edit on 20-3-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Well, that does validate my side of the argument. You've used the stuff, it's done it's damage. Enjoy the reduced brain function, heart troubles, lung issues, general day-to-day functions dampened, psychotic episodes, paranoia, schizophrenia. That "rush" of breaking the law sure is worth it! I also enjoy the fact you're calling other people delusional now, I see the paranoia kicking in already!

Also, typical attitude saying "war is bad.... maaan". It's a necessary evil. Our soldiers are on the line risking their lives to make the general population safe, and you don't even give a damn.

Just wanted to let you know I deleted a part right here that I believe went too far, I'm telling you that I deleted it however, so you know I have strong opinions against you.

And on that, I look forward to your inevitable reply on how "drugs are natural maaaaan".

P.S I'd love to write up a diatribe of you, but trust me, the end result would be an extreme violation of the T&C.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Well, that does validate my side of the argument. You've used the stuff, it's done it's damage. Enjoy the reduced brain function, heart troubles, lung issues, general day-to-day functions dampened, psychotic episodes, paranoia, schizophrenia. That "rush" of breaking the law sure is worth it! I also enjoy the fact you're calling other people delusional now, I see the paranoia kicking in already!

Also, typical attitude saying "war is bad.... maaan". It's a necessary evil. Our soldiers are on the line risking their lives to make the general population safe, and you don't even give a damn.

Just wanted to let you know I deleted a part right here that I believe went too far, I'm telling you that I deleted it however, so you know I have strong opinions against you.

And on that, I look forward to your inevitable reply on how "drugs are natural maaaaan".

P.S I'd love to write up a diatribe of you, but trust me, the end result would be an extreme violation of the T&C.

You're just embarassing yourself. You have no argument, so you throw out wild baseless claims. That you need to break T & C in what should be a reasonable debate shows you for the person you are.

I don't have to make up or try to character assinate you. I figure you're an indoctrinated square who got his arse kicked at school and spends his time pumping weights. Probably do mixed martial arts in your spare time. The people who bullied you were the cool ones, happened to take drugs and get drunk, and now you have an irrational and vulgar hatred of anyone who has that in common with them.

Maybe I'm right in those assumptions, maybe I'm wrong. The point is none of that is relevant when looking at the bigger picture. Just as all these qualities and dysnfunctions you listed about me - which are grocely untrue, for the record - mean nothing. There's a difference between supporting the use of drugs, or someones right to use drugs, and supporting the abuse of drugs. The difference is massive. What you're doing is paramount to me verbally attacking and insulting someone for eating a donut. On the basis that repulsive and obese people eat alot of junk food.

You must realise you're being unreasonable here. You mentioned earlier you look after your body, but you've ate and probably still eat foods that do your body harm when taken in excess. I imagine for that reason you probably don't take them in excess. In the same way I'll have a few beers come BBQ season, but little more than that. Like food and drink that's harmful when taken in excess, taken in limited amounts is good for your health. This is scientific fact, that cannot be argued. A glass of wine or good bitter every other day is beneficial to ones health. As is marijuanna, that's why reasonable countries prescribe it as medicine. But hey, you know better than all the Scientists and Doctors.

I won't touch on your point about wars. I'd rather not give you room to change the paramaters of debate and run from the facts.

I expect in your next response you provide objective evidence showing that marijuanna and alcohol consumption in limited quantity is bad for ones health.

Cheer up, and don't worry about T and C, I won't tell the mods. Infact I'd rather you show your true colours and defeat your self. I'm a rope merchant, how much do you want?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I'll expand on this soon, but I need to mention three things quickly.

1. Even in small amounts, drugs & alcohol can have averse effects.

2. The mods are human, and read forums in their own volition, if they came across a post of mine with a high impact insults, they'd remove it whether or not you reported it.

3. Encouraging suicide IS an extreme violation, and I do feel obligated to report you for that. You won't be banned, but a formal warning should be issued against you.

There is nothing cool about drinking or taking drugs, insinuating such proves what kind of drop-kick you are.
No "arse" kicking occurred, how ever I had a smaller social circle of people with integrity, rather than a large one filled with morons.

As I said, I will gladly expand on this further soon. But I do have certain obligations elsewhere for now. In my spare time, I will compile information pertaining to the argument at hand and deliver it here ASAP.
edit on 21/3/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I'll expand on this soon, but I need to mention three things quickly.

1. Even in small amounts, drugs & alcohol can have averse effects.

2. The mods are human, and read forums in their own volition, if they came across a post of mine with a high impact insults, they'd remove it whether or not you reported it.

3. Encouraging suicide IS an extreme violation, and I do feel obligated to report you for that. You won't be banned, but a formal warning should be issued against you.

There is nothing cool about drinking or taking drugs, insinuating such proves what kind of drop-kick you are.
No "arse" kicking occurred, how ever I had a smaller social circle of people with integrity, rather than a large one filled with morons.

As I said, I will gladly expand on this further soon. But I do have certain obligations elsewhere for now. In my spare time, I will compile information pertaining to the argument at hand and deliver it here ASAP.
edit on 21/3/11 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

Generally, sure. But alcohol and marijuanna? Such incident would be exception rather than rule.

And I wasn't actually encouraging suicide. It's a popular phrase in most countries. Let others defeat their own arguments by allowing them to talk. Ala, giving themselves enough rope to hang themselves. It's not meant to be literal. From the Dictionary:

give (someone) enough rope to hang himself to allow (someone) to accomplish his own downfall by his own foolish acts

I'll correct you on one more thing; I did NOT say, nor insinuate that taking drugs or drinking was cool. If you hadn't realised, I've been argueing that taking drugs doesn't make a person. I have and had friends who have lost it on drugs, or are addicted. Aswell as a family member or two. You don't need to tell me, I'm under no illusions, there's nothing "cool" about taking drugs. But at the same time, there's nothing about taking drugs that makes you gutter-scum, either.

The people who bullied you were the cool ones, happened to take drugs and get drunk

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
AND....

Don't force them to play in sports-at any age.

Introduce them and hope for the best.

Encourage them in good/legal/proper things.

Example. I have Jock son and I have a Skateboarder son. Interesting mixture I have to admit

edit on 3/21/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
There's 2 things I don't agree with you on. Being the same age as you, 18, I have a 7 year old brother I love and keep an eye on so he's not currupted by this sick world. I'm very protective of him.

1. What do you mean by don't tell them stories not to get them to do something? What exactly would your advise be for when an impressionable 7 year old is at school dealing with dozens of kids when your not there? You need to tell him the consequences of his actions or else he will let loose of all the rules he has been told once he gets to school and mess himself up.

2. Are tou preposing that when my little brother is about in his teens, I should let him try smoking?! What kind of responsible parent would do something like that?! I'm 18 and have never smoked nor gotten drunk. My sister has but I chose differently for my life. Reading the Bible and establishing a strong relationship with the Lord from childhood to preteen to now definitely had a lot to do with why I don't do neither. Smoking seems to be a thing for people who can't handle the troubles and stress of life. If I could handle it, so can my brother. I'm not going to let him smoke at all or any of my future children.

Well that's basically all my complaints. I agree with most of what you said however. Good advice!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Calm down everybody.

I'd like to keep my comment unbiased and respectful..

But wow, just reading these last couple pages is decreasing my IQ.

Drugs are there, people will do them. Everybody functions differently and consumes drugs in a unique context.

For those of you bashing relentlessly in a child like argumentative and offensive tone, PLEASE by all means calm down.

Opiates are dangerous, but there are people who benefit from them medically and recreational in a responsible manner. For those who's use is resulting in a destructive nature, by all means do it if you wish as long as you leave others out of it.

Alchohol? Same context.

Cannabis? Ratio favors those who use it beneficially, but of course there are those with addictive personalities and suffer deconstructive results.

Use your head and do actual research into the facts. Running rampant with unbased speculation and blowing everything out of proportion does not amount to credible opinion.

These forums are for respectful exchange of discussion and opinion, not for passive offensive remarks and bickering... Please.

Also to add, Star and Flag for OP; I entirely agree.

I must suggest though while we are on the topic of drug consumption, I agree that it's a good idea to let 'teens' experiment with various drugs. BUT it is the responsibility of the parent to both properly educate them on the arguments for and against... and also to provide a safe location to experiment and consume them. The last thing you want to do is to chase your children away and let them figure it for the first time with a bunch of friends where you have no idea what they are doing.

My .02
edit on 21-3-2011 by Scarcer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yeah, I'll hold my reservations on whether or not you were encouraging suicide.

So, let's begin with the fact that marijuana is a gateway drug.

The younger someone begins doing that, they will actually be worse off in the future. If you begin marijuana around the age of 15, you are much, much more likely to then be drug dependant and do coc aine or heroine or whatever later on in life.

Alright, next thing is that marijuana does in fact bring in some real significant health problems.

It's known that marijuana contains about ~400 chemicals. Smoking a marijuana cigarette is far worse than your normal cigarette in terms of tar entering your lungs.

People who often smoke marijuana suffer from health problems, most being the same as tobacco smokers, like coughing, hard time breathing (wheezing) and chronic bronchitis. It was also shown that smoking a few joints each day causes damage to the respiratory system on par with smoking a full pack of normal cigarettes.

Here's a small excerpt from one site in particular:

Effects on the Lungs
Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer;6 however, a recent case-controlled study found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung, upper respiratory, or upper digestive tract cancers.7 Thus, the link between marijuana smoking and these cancers remains unsubstantiated at this time.

Nonetheless, marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

drugabuse.gov...

You've then got the mental issues.

Smoking marijuana can bring on increased anxiety, panic attacks, depression, social withdrawal, and other mental health problems, particularly for teens which the OP suggests should experiment. From what I've read, kids aged 12 to 17 who smoke marijuana weekly are three times more likely than non-users to have suicidal thoughts. ( Oh how ironic )

That's in my own words, but once more I'll get an excerpt from the same source, and leave it at that:

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

drugabuse.gov...

Doing drugs is doing you no good. I've given you my side of the argument.

I was raised to look after myself, respect myself, my body, my health. Respect the law. Be a productive member of society. Achieve. If you consider instilling good morals into someone "indoctrinating, maaan". Then that's just your sad little opinion with no relevance.

Also, to go back to that "cool" thing. How could someone who does what I've written above, be considered cool in any capacity? By doing that, you instantly become a downer, a sad case. They are certainly not cool people.

But, I must ask... What is your definition of "cool"? I would really like to know.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Scarcer

I must suggest though while we are on the topic of drug consumption, I agree that it's a good idea to let 'teens' experiment with various drugs. BUT it is the responsibility of the parent to both properly educate them on the arguments for and against... and also to provide a safe location to experiment and consume them. The last thing you want to do is to chase your children away and let them figure it for the first time with a bunch of friends where you have no idea what they are doing.

My .02
edit on 21-3-2011 by Scarcer because: (no reason given)

No, it is not a good idea. It's insane. Please read above.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tncryptogal
True story. I was in the public library with my four year old son. I specifically told him not to run in the library. He did and proceeded to slam his head against a table. The force of the impact sent him to the floor on his butt. My reaction was "See? I told you not to run." He stopped crying immediately. I got two distinct reactions. From women my own age (mid 20's-mid 30's), I got terrible looks like I was the absolute worst mother in the history of the world for not picking him off his butt and comforting him. From the elderly librarians however, I got a thumbs up. He never ran in any building again.

I grew up that way. If I insisted on sticking a penny in an electrical outlet, I got one or two warnings and then was allowed to find out exactly why they were telling me no. When the shock happened and I screamed out, all I got was "Hurt didn't it? Bet you'll do that again."

Kids need to make their own mistakes. Over protecting them and bailing them out of trouble does them no favors. They grow up with a sense of entitlement. That's what seems to be wrong with a lot of kids.

Jeff Foxworthy: "..go ahead, let him tip the TV over on his head two or three times...that'll teach him!"

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Coming from another 18 y/o i've got to say i agree with you.
One thing (among others) that i've noticed is how parents don't let their kids make mistakes.

You tell you kid not to touch the pot they will get burnt. Tell them again and again, but you can't tell them every time.

If they want to touch the hot pot, unless they have some sort of learning disability, let them. They will make that mistake and they will live and LEARN.

I'm white and i see this happen in mostly white families (not so much mine, i'm Russian so not completely white xD) and i see the opposite in hispanic and african families.
They will let them touch the pot and let them get burnt, but they're teaching em!!!

Anyways, this is a good post, good for you to share with others

Haha cheers mate, thanks for your input.
I feel like this mollycoddling is really messing up society!

i have a 23 yr old in college, and i have never heard him use the phrase "molly coddling" . that is an old school saying from MY parents days. for the original poster, who says he is 18 yrs old, grammer, sentence structure, and syntax, are all quite refined. kudos to this english major.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Oh man...sorry I skipped all the bickering, so hopefully didn't miss a meaningful post.

I think your heart is (maybe?) in the right place with this thread, but not having kids yourself doesn't afford you the lessons and experience that can ONLY come from raising children. That is not to say you're completely clueless, but I guarantee your views may change after having kids of your own.

I have 3 boys and all three are completely different. We have had to change our parenting techniques vastly from the oldest to the youngest. Each and every one of us is different, has a different opinion or viewpoint of the world, and children are no exception. I truly believe people are born with their personality, as you will find how different even young babies raised in the same home/same environment can be on total opposites of the spectrum in terms of behaviour. So to generalize and give a list with 8-10 points pretty much goes out the window when you're dealing with different children.

I remember thinking how difficult and frustrating it was to raise my oldest son (now almost 18)....and then was blessed with a special needs child and thinking how difficult and frustrating THAT was...daily doc's appts, specialists, surgeries, testing, MRIs etc etc. And then BOOM, I was "blessed" (LOL) with a true tasmanian devil with my third son and somedays wish for the "easy" days of son #1 to come back! What a lot of people on the outside looking in fail to realize or understand is the emotion involved when it is your own child.

I do agree with the majority of your points regardless and think it's a great *starting point*, but is by no means a be all and end all to raising some sort of great kid.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
ok - im now 34 with 2 kids, so from a parent's perspective...
Son was born 11 years ago, your first you will always 'cotton wool' them and become a helicopter. I do not worry about all of the bad things that get shown on the news about paedophiles etc, they have been around long before it became news worthy. I also have a daughter 5yo, so, what i learnt in those 6years does any parent wonders.

What i have found is that (not generalising) those that have children between the ages of 21-28 yo now odd, are those that have no respect for peers nor authority. But those that are around the 18yo mark now and younger are those that do show manners and courteous behaviours. I do believe there was a mindset shift in parenting around that time... (political correction ?? ) I work in retail, so I see this every day ! The shop is in a mixture of middle class, retirees to low income and immigrants area.

You just have to be vigilant and know what you taught your children was the right way to behave in society.

S&F to OP - you have a level head on you.

oh - OP, you are correct about music, my son's idol.... not Bieber, not Usher, not some fly-by-nighter musician but Andre Rieu, and yes, he's taken up the violin.... but still does listen to chart hits.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

So, let's begin with the fact that marijuana is a gateway drug.

The younger someone begins doing that, they will actually be worse off in the future. If you begin marijuana around the age of 15, you are much, much more likely to then be drug dependant and do coc aine or heroine or whatever later on in life.

But nothing about marijuanna makes you drug dependant. Naturally people who smoke marijuanna are more likely to take any number of drugs. That's a social issue, not the effect of taking the drug itself. So that's irrelevant because it's not the effect of the drug, more an indication of the people who generally take it. Atleast in Western society.

Alright, next thing is that marijuana does in fact bring in some real significant health problems.

It's known that marijuana contains about ~400 chemicals. Smoking a marijuana cigarette is far worse than your normal cigarette in terms of tar entering your lungs.

It's also a known fact that chemicals, much like bacteria are largely good. Medicine are all over the chemical cannabinol, found in Cannabis, for example. The way you word that statement is as if to imply that's a bad thing. You can find 400 chemicals in any number of harmless plants, vegetables and fruit consumed on a regular basis.

People who often smoke marijuana suffer from health problems, most being the same as tobacco smokers, like coughing, hard time breathing (wheezing) and chronic bronchitis. It was also shown that smoking a few joints each day causes damage to the respiratory system on par with smoking a full pack of normal cigarettes.

That's true. I can smoke thyme and basil and have the same result. But what does this tell us? That inhaling smoke is bad for us. Marijuana can be ate and comes with none of those problems. Other paraphernalia is pretty hi-tech these days.

I'll copy and paste:

One of the surprising research results from the last decade has been the finding that smoking cannabis does not increase the risk of developing lung cancer or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) among people who do not smoke tobacco, and may indeed confer a mildly protective effect. Beginning in 2001, multiple research teams began to report results showing that smoking cannabis does not, by itself, increase the risk of lung cancer, and this result is now well-established. Many studies did report a strongly synergistic effect, however, between tobacco use and smoking cannabis such that tobacco smokers who also smoked cannabis dramatically increased their already very high risk of developing lung cancer or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease by as much as 300%. Some of these research results follow below:

* In 2006, Hashibe, Morgenstern, Cui, Tashkin, et al. presented the results from a study involving 2,240 subjects that showed non-tobacco users who smoked marijuana did not exhibit an increased incidence of lung cancer or head-and-neck malignancies. These results were supported even among very long-term, very heavy users of marijuana.[50]

Tashkin, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years, said, "It's possible that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in marijuana smoke may encourage apoptosis, or programmed cell death, causing cells to die off before they have a chance to undergo malignant transformation". He further commented that "We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use. What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."[unreliable medical source?][51][unreliable medical source?][52]

* Researchers from the University of British Columbia presented a study at the American Thoracic Society 2007 International Conference showing that smoking marijuana and tobacco together more than tripled the risk of developing COPD over just smoking tobacco alone.[unreliable medical source?][53] Similar findings were released in April 2009 by the Vancouver Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease Research Group. The study reported that smoking both tobacco and marijuana synergistically increased the risk of respiratory symptoms and COPD. Smoking only marijuana, however, was not associated with an increased risk of respiratory symptoms of COPD.[unreliable medical source?][54][55] In a related commentary, pulmonary researcher Donald Tashkin wrote, "…we can be close to concluding that marijuana smoking by itself does not lead to COPD".[56]

* One of the principal constituents of cannabis, THC, has been found to reduce tumor growth in common lung cancer by 50 percent and to significantly reduce the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University, who tested the chemical in both in vitro lab studies and in mouse studies. The researchers suggest that THC might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.[unreliable medical source?][57]

en.wikipedia.org...

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.8 Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

I'm not rubbishing the study but I would like to know more about this part of the study. If I know stoners(and I do), lazyness is the main 'illness' preventing them from getting to work.

I'd hazzard a guess that these people were asked how many days of work they took sick, rather than how many times they've been literally sick. The study seems to be blending the 2 as if they were the same, but there's a difference between bunking off work and being genuinely ill.

Smoking marijuana can bring on increased anxiety, panic attacks, depression, social withdrawal, and other mental health problems, particularly for teens which the OP suggests should experiment. From what I've read, kids aged 12 to 17 who smoke marijuana weekly are three times more likely than non-users to have suicidal thoughts. ( Oh how ironic )

If you once more make the claim I suggested you commit suicide I will report you personally to a mod. I tried to be polite and explained the phrase, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were just oblivious to its existence. Now I believe you know exactly what I meant and are twisting my words because you have nothing in the way of valid argument. Stop trying to poison the well (and I'm not explaining that)

Back to another of your logical fallacies. What of kids aged 12 to 17 smoking marijuanna being more prone to suicidal thoughts? People who smoke marijuanna are more likely to come from working class (often broken)families, have financial issues, actually have problems in their life. Drugs are an outlet and escape for many. That users are more suicidal is again a social issue, until you can prove otherwise (and you can't)

Also can and do are two different things. While there is a link between marijuana and mild anxiety, it's grocely exagerated. It's so minor that it hardly rates mentioning. About as severe as coffee induced anxiety, ie, not very.

A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it is not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence.

drugabuse.gov...

Again that means little. They've been studying and trying to rubbish marijuana for years, and they still have nothing conclusive. They state as much themselves. "it is not clear whether marijuana user causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or reflects an attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence".

I'm almost certain I asked you to provide facts. Most of this is speculation on the back of bunk science. From an anti-drugs government website no less! The people promoting the war on drugs wouldn't have an agenda, surely not

Doing drugs is doing you no good. I've given you my side of the argument.

I wasn't trying to argue it was doing me any good, though clearly it does do some.

en.wikipedia.org...

The benefits evidently outweight the 'cons'.

I was raised to look after myself, respect myself, my body, my health. Respect the law. Be a productive member of society. Achieve. If you consider instilling good morals into someone "indoctrinating, maaan". Then that's just your sad little opinion with no relevance.

But you have ate and do eat unhealthy foods, don't you? Foods that when taken often, would have arguebly a negative effect on your health. You can hide from it all you like, I'll chase you on this issue all day... What's the difference between your consumption of food that when consumed often, may lead to ill health. And someones consumption of marijuana, which when consumed often may lead to ill health? There is no difference. You don't even hold yourself to your own standards.

And you are indoctrinated. Because there is no sensical moral argument that can be made against marijuana. Best to stick with quasi-science, you really don't want to debate the Biomedical ethics.

Respect the law, lol. It's a good job there's people who think for themselves, if respecting the law was something everyone actually believed in we'd still be peasants and slaves ruled over by vicious and vulgar tyrants. Authority and law are not self justifying, they must be continually questioned. You sound like you'd be better suited to North Korea or Saudi Arabia.

If you have morals I don't know what someone without them would look like.

Also, to go back to that "cool" thing. How could someone who does what I've written above, be considered cool in any capacity? By doing that, you instantly become a downer, a sad case. They are certainly not cool people.

I was referring to a social group or clique. Not my own personal view on them as people. My mistake for not using quotation marks.

BUT, and here's the thing; Just as smoking marijuana doesn't make you cool, instantly or other wise, it also doesn't make you a downer or a sad case, instantly or otherwise. Smoking marijuanna or not smoking it doesn't make a person. It may contribute to who they are in some capacity, small or large, but it does not make a person.

Also you completely avoided alcohol, although you slammed people who happen to drink alcohol earlier. I take it your fact finding led you to what I previously stated, a small amount of alcohol each day is beneficial to ones health?

But, I must ask... What is your definition of "cool"? I would really like to know.

I've adressed my previous mistake and my views on what and what isn't cool aren't really relevant. To entertain, and probably humour you; I'm a confused hippy, my idea of cool isn't very conventional. I have a Noam Chomsky print on my wall(which I made myself), I'm a vegetarian and I'm currently sporting a circa 1980s rat tail because I watch too much Rugby ( rugbyhair.com... )

I'm about as uncool by popular definition as one could possibly be
. My idea of cool definately isn't your jocks, 'gangsters' or chavs, if that's the impression you've been getting.

I seriously think you need to re-evaluate what your actual problem with drugs and people who take them is. You seem to be engaging in some sort of guilt by assosciation fallacy, where in drugs automatically make one beneath you.

It's not going to happen and it shouldn't happen, but theoretically, if you or someone you loved smoked a joint do you honestly believe it would change who you or they are as a person? Unless you went seriously mad with the stuff you'd still be you, nothing would change. Why are you so resistant to the fact not everyone who takes or has taken drugs falls neatly into your created stereotypical categories? A good person is still a good person, a smart person is still a smart person, a healthy person is still a healthy person(granted he doesn't abuse), and I can go on like this.

What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me. And It's really not nice to tell or suggest someone is beneath you because they happen to put a plant in a plant and smoke it. For the people who have consumed it, it can bring great amounts of happiness and pleasure. Is there really anything morally wrong with that?

If you don't want to use drugs that's great, and I'm happy for you, clearly you value your health greatly and I'm sure most here will appreciate that, even if I think you're wrong in your worries or 'facts'. But why can't it be just that? Why are you unable to lend the same decency and respect for the position and views of others. After all we're talking about burning a practically harmless plant, it's not rape or murder. That you feel so strongly and have such venemous views on what is to be honest, a trivial issue, it's odd. And I can't believe or accept an otherwise coherant person would come to your position without some level of indoctrination or propoganda, whether it's from family, friends, media or government.

I'll end my post on that note because I've said all I really can.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Coming from a kid who was sheltered till the age of eighteen, nineteen I'd have to agree completely with you. Because it is kind of sad when a kid is 22 and doesn't know how to party or socialise in real life situations all too well. Yet I have gotten better and I do do fairly well for myself now I still hit ruts I shouldn't be hitting. So yeah, my hats off to you. Sad to say I'm a rebel child >,

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
you should talk to my dad.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Actually....

A synthetic chemical similar to the active ingredient in marijuana makes new cells grow in rat brains. What is more, in rats this cell growth appears to be linked with reducing anxiety and depression. The results suggest that marijuana, or its derivatives, could actually be good for the brain.

www.newscientist.com...

So, not only are you brainwashed, but you're also very condescending and rude.

"Chill out maaaan"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join