It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian university puts ancient, mysterious sculpture on display

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Originally posted by Mercurio
See this article about elongated skulls. It is actually possible to mold the head into that shape. Just like foot binding. This is called head binding.
en.wikipedia.org...

Sure, but what made people initially elongate their heads? Did they see it somewhere? Or just playing around?

Pred...

there are alot of neolithic figurines of the mother goddess with a baby in a sling so possibly they are slingbabies. eventually the kid came out of the sling and his/her head is show wrapped in bandages. the people who made them had to flee catastrophes alot too so maybe it could be a sign of some big event. the sumerians rounded their heads.

on this statue in montreal the two folks have two different shaped heads it seems. one is pointy elongated, the other is a broad jelly bean and the script looks like its greekish. maybe the starving of saqarra name came along because of the starving of unas' men carving at saqarra and the statue is from somewhere where the idol head shapes come together. i think there is a place and its near greece.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
possibly related?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm not seeing anything that says where this piece of art was found. Does any one know Or did I miss something when I read the thread?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
I'm not seeing anything that says where this piece of art was found. Does any one know Or did I miss something when I read the thread?

you missed something when reading the link

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by debris765nju

reply to post by predator0187

Colorized object, the colors inherent within the object. The images of human faces that are revealed are also a part of the original object. I frequently find objects like this among objects d'art and museum fare. Techniques unknown.

Great find. You should make another thread. Your findings leave skeptics weeping in the corner like little girls.

I can see what looks like a demon in the top left of your picture too, you see that?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Interesting find S&F

They look African to me.... I'll have a look for some images later

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
They represent what they call the "Blue people." Look them up. They dwell from within. Look at Cherokee Indians history of when they came to America. They talk of these tall, bald, big headed blue humanoids that dwell in caverns.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

"The sculpture was brought to Canada in the 1940s by Vincent and Olga Diniacopoulos, Greek immigrants from France who had amassed a world-class collection of antiquities gathered from Egypt, Israel and other ancient sites."

This does not say anything about where this object was dug up.Nor is there anything in the linked article that would indicate where it was found. Everything in the article about where it "might " have come from, is nothing but idle speculation by people who clearly don't know.

Once again I ask does any one know where this artifact was dug up? I don't know how I can be more clear about this question.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail

I suppose there's no way these people (curators or some such) would be able to track down the Greek family that originally owned the entire collection?

magazine.concordia.ca...
Concordia worked with Olga Diniacopoulos to inventory the collection and a large portion was auctioned.
While this article doesn't mention the mysterious sculpture, it does has some photos of the other artwork.

Very interesting.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Versa

"The sculpture was brought to Canada in the 1940s by Vincent and Olga Diniacopoulos, Greek immigrants from France who had amassed a world-class collection of antiquities gathered from Egypt, Israel and other ancient sites."

This does not say anything about where this object was dug up.Nor is there anything in the linked article that would indicate where it was found. Everything in the article about where it "might " have come from, is nothing but idle speculation by people who clearly don't know.

Once again I ask does any one know where this artifact was dug up? I don't know how I can be more clear about this question.

No.... clearly the article states that no-one knows where it's from......

"So far, no authority has been able to confirm the sculpture's pedigree."

Which is the answer your looking for and could be found in the article....

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

That's why I was asking. I was hoping that somebody did know where it is from,but I guess that's not possible.I respectfully withdraw my question. I'd rather not speculate on something that can't be placed at a specific location. It could have come from anywhere and could very well be a fake. Why some one would fake something like this I couldn't say ,but it wouldn't be the first time.

Things like this give archeologists nightmares.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Things like this give archeologists nightmares.

yup. wouldn't they love it if the UN had a simple little website where all the museums can put pictures of their stuff in one place. private people could add their stuff too. that would be a very fun website and might be a help too.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
A wonderful story and thanks to everyone who posted additional links! I had heard of this collection but only in passing -- what a real treasure! The story of Madame's careful record keeping makes me want to read the archivist's notes. I wonder what she DID say about this one!
edit on 19-3-2011 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Versa

Exactly. In fact, it's unprovenanced. There's no record of where it was found or under what circumstances he bought it. He was a collector of antiquities and someone sold it to him.

My own thoughts are that it appears to be a tribal African work, possibly from what's called an "antika." These are folks who make and sell fake antiques, passing the off as genuine.

Here's a picture of the "script" on the statue. This doesn't appear to be actual writing, but rather someone's attempt to fake an ancient unknown language (you see this type of stuff on Mormon fakes): www.pasthorizons.com...

There ARE known Egyptian relief sculptures of people starving. Here's one (hope this works) and a second one
notice how different it looks from the statue

I'm reminded a little of the Dogon work.

Could it be from Saqqara (the statue is called "The starving of Saqqara")? Not unless it was carved by a professional artist in Egypt's mercenary army. And if that was the case, its preservation in Egypt is unlikely.

It could be an older African piece picked up by (for example) someone who lived around 100 BC in Egypt and brought to their house. But there's no provenance and the thing is ... well, it's an "artifact of unknown status."

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

wow that is really interesting...never even heard of it until now

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
very interesting... I am surprised the Smithsonian didnt toss it out into the ocean... They normally would have acquired it and done as such....

the date made me think that it may have been bought off the nazis...

It is just a thought but a few dates do add up....

s and f op s and f

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Egypt was founded when the environment died. many people came into the only viable land left, that which was all once grasslands.

This could easily be a testimony to that ancient most tragic event.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

that's what i was thinking.....except for the facial features it looks like two fetuses to me

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
it could be a fake. the only reason for that though would be if some unknown sculptor met these collectors and sensed a sucker. but collectors are rarely suckers. rather, the act of learning from being such makes them not. and an accomplished collector would've already had their purchasing wits about them. unless it's an early addition to their collection.

supposing it's real, it's yet another example of large headed beings (or the emulation/hybridization of them), which nearly every single ancient culture talked and wrote about. gods coming from the sky and impregnating women. wow they're freaks lol. all that distance for some action. i don't even like to walk all the way to the bedroom.

curiously, after these periods and previous to ours, christians went and burned all of written history. somehow luckily some of these survive and leak to us. i'm not saying anything. i'm just saying.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. Ive been interested in the ancient big-brains (possibly extraterrestrials).

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join