It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If SHTF in the US what country should I move in?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If SHTF in the US what country should I move in?

This question came to my thought while my high school teacher told us to plan ahead for the future. My original plan is to try to get a good career here and a great life. However due to the economic problem getting worse like literally everyday I am now thinking of an alternative plan: immigrate to another country. I'm planning on doing this after college if there is still time.

Here are my choice of countries:
Australia
New Zealand
Germany
Canada
Ireland
United Kingdom
Brazil

If any of you members came from these list of countries, feel free to tell me the political,social, and economic situation of your respective countries and what kind of careers I can get. Also answer my question: How would your country fare if the US economy started crashing down? I have been told that if the USA economy falls so can the rest of the world's.

USA members: advise me what kind of career I should take to survive the coming depression. I need this in case I cannot do the things above.

(mods sorry if this is in the wrong forum.)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Come to Australia mate.......

Best women
Great bbq's
Average beer
Friendly people.
Great weather.

Downside will be that we will most probably be the first country to get the Carbon Tax.

On the job side of things I hear that there is a shortage of laborers ,tradesman etc.....

one of the best job search websites we have i think
www.careerone.com.au...

edit on 18-3-2011 by thedevos1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i live in the UK and i would have to say go to oz
the weather is rubish here!! when i retire thats where i am heading, sooner if my lotto numbers come up!! shame about the snakes and spiders though, but i guess its worth it

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

As someone (an American) who spent the larger part of my university education in Australia because I was convinced at the beginning of the Reagan administration we would have a nuclear war, your best place to be no matter what happens is where you have the most resources, and where you "fit in" with the locals. I'm dead serious. Be in a place with GOOD honest friends and you will (more likely then not) make it even if the poop hits the fan. No, I am not joking, in 1981-1982 this was foremost on my mind. Go figure...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

This is just my opinion, but...

I'd rather live (and die) here in the US even in SHTF situation than go live somewhere else. All craziness aside, and again this is just my opinion, but this is the greatest country in the world. And I'd rather live here, and help people, than go scurry for temporary protection elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrius

Best answer thus far...I was born an American and I will die one. I love this country and what it stands for. If we burn we will rise from the ashes.
edit on 18-3-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm going to Brazil, but that's because I was born there and my family is there.

Brazil is not involved in wars and has no earthquakes. The only problem is crime and floods. And expensive as hell.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Why move? Do you really think that you can be saved by moving away/running away from everything?

Dropping off the grid and leaving peacefully not giving a damn about what's happening?

How pitiful.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If you're thinking about this already , your not american...!!! move now pansy!! ...go somewhere FAR away... your a disgrace to even the most bile feces of scum.... PUKE on YOU!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
What is this. Some of you are such hypocrites.

According to some of these posts, if the SHTF in America, you're a pussy if you leave.

Yet everyone here is yelling "GET THE JAPANESE OUT OF JAPAN!"

Make up your damn mind.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowman9364

Hey did you not read the post still in high school give the kid a break alright everybody deserves to be a little scared.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowman9364
If you're thinking about this already , your not american...!!! move now pansy!! ...go somewhere FAR away... your a disgrace to even the most bile feces of scum.... PUKE on YOU!!!!

You might want to get your prison tattoo of the Bald Eagle and the American Flag that you got when doing time for "killin' one of them queers" looked at. It seems the toxins have moved up into your brain.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

that a little harsh....

just because you were born in a country does not mean you have to stay there or you are a traitor to your country

if people want a better life let them find one ...

i my self have lived in UK, Spain, France .... and can tell you Australia is my next stop, cant wait as england is a sh1t hole the only thing the government cares about here is tax... anything that can be taxed will be and all with a high wage lose half because of tax... its pathetic. dont come here lol

FYI I was born here and FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You'll need to be in a place where you are understood and you can understand others, so for an English speaker there are a variety of choices. It's true that 'everybody speaks English' more or less, but I mean where you have a deep understanding of all the idioms and nuances. You could get by in a country like Israel, for example, but you might be culurally isolated and not really know the ropes.

So the US/Canada is a good alternative for you, really. Just get more rural. In a SHTF scenario any city would, IMO, be deadly. You need to get away from population centers and hopefully isolate yourself from those centers. You don't want to be in the pathway of a group of mercenaries so being somewhere somewhat inhospitable might be a good bet. Being an exit on the freeway is probably not a good idea.

Sorry to say this but it's a big elephant in the room. You'll want to avoid ethnic issues, because in a SHTF scenario things might divide just along those lines. There would probably be some great exceptional stories, but you don't want to be the guinea pig.

Having a natural source of water is important, so you'll need a good lake or a darned fine well. You'll also need a source of heat, like firewood, and a source of food. If you cannot grow crops, you'll need critters, sorry to say, so that means well armed, sustainably: Unless you have several tens of thousands of rounds and a reliable firearm, you'll need alternative weapons, like bow & arrow.

Moving further afield Great Britain is interesting, but I think they have some of the same issues we do. There are similar issues of decay there and the ever-present social issues. Australia might be a much better bet. I know we can all point out the small differences and attitudes, but Australians and Americans, particularly western Americans, are very similar. Now I kmnow an Australian can pick me aprt here, but I'm trying tio be very general.

So, bottom line is stay here, but get rural. That's your best bet. Otherwise, stay English speaking just because it will be far easier for you, not that winding up in a rural German or Swiss village wouldn't be an astounding life. In any case, if you really do want to make a change, don't wait til it happens. Get moving. Now.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
But to answer the original question: I'd suggest you check out Germany.

Although I am currently living in Minnesota, I'm originally from a town near Frankfurt. I very much plan on moving back within the next few years, though. Especially moving to a place near Hamburg would be nice.

While yes, Germany has its fair share of not-so-healthy sausage and kraut dishes, there is much more to the German cuisine. One of my personal favorites are Fischbroetchen (Fish sandwiches). Specifically the ones you can get near the coast are fantastic! There is a ton of variety, some made with smoked salmon, some with shrimps, some with Matjes, or (my personal favorite!) Bismarck herring. The bread is unlike anything I have eaten in the US, and the taste of warm, freshly baked bread with butter is beyond words. Also, if you're feeling adventurous, try some blood sausage. It makes for some of the best breakfast you will ever eat.

I think it is mentioning the goodness of German beer is probably not necessary, so I'm just going to mention that Germany has some fantastic wine (not just domestic, but from France, Italy etc. as well). Also, it's very inexpensive. The only spirit I found to be more expensive in Germany than in the US was Jack Daniels, for obvious reasons.

While the weather might not be as pleasant as what you might have in the Southern half of the US, it's usually between 30F and 80F. So it is much nicer than the -40F to 100F I'm experiencing in Minnesota.

Regardless of what music you're into, you'll be sure to find tons upon tons of artists and gatherings that will suit your taste. During the summer, music festivals are held just about every weekend, some of them focusing on heavy metal, others on punk, pop, German hip hop (which is quite terrible, I might say
), or classical music.

While yes, it probably is not the "greatest country in the world", it is a fantastic place to live, and I cannot wait to move back.

Also, being drunk in public or drinking in a vehicle (as long as you're not the driver) will not get you arrested.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher

Hey did you not read the post still in high school give the kid a break alright everybody deserves to be a little scared.

Yep.. read the post.. "still in highschool" "kids sign papers to join the armed forces (just like i did)... so whats your point??? excuse me.. dont answer that.. this aint about me... its about the OP buggin out when SHTF in the USA cuz he dont have testicular fortitude to stand up for his country...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather

Originally posted by snowman9364

You might want to get your prison tattoo of the Bald Eagle and the American Flag that you got when doing time for "killin' one of them queers" looked at. It seems the toxins have moved up into your brain.

You aren't even close... i gotta idea... why dontcha car pool with OP to wherever he is gonna bug out to... and by the way.. tatoo is fine, and zero toxins here, except pansies and corrupt government that needs radical personaell change... thanks...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I thought if the SHTF, North Carolina would be a good place to be, now I lean that there are Nuke plants all around me. I guess no where in NA is safe. Oh well, at least I will not drown.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

I thought if the SHTF, North Carolina would be a good place to be, now I lean that there are Nuke plants all around me. I guess no where in NA is safe. Oh well, at least I will not drown.

Yeah you'll just grow some extra lims and your immune system will shut down. Ill drown

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
NZ without a doubt.
Australia's to weak and China would love to take over aussie and its resources.

NZ? we're like switzerland.
To rugged, too small, too far away, NZ is of no real concern to anyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join