It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Bird Mystery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Seems to be happening everywhere.

Another Bird Mystery
By Michael Goodspeed
Thunderbolts.info
7-20-4

First, we heard of the 30,000 pelicans mysteriously vanishing from a North Dakota wildlife refuge.

Then, there was the story of pelicans in Arizona "dive-bombing" head first into asphalt, supposedly mistaking the "shimmering" heat-effected roads for water.

In the last several days, two new stories have emerged which suggest that some unexplained phenomena is profoundly effecting the "sensors" of birds.

In Point Roberts, WA, an enitre heron colony has simply "vanished into thin air." Herons are enormous birds, and are easy to spot from the air. But a team of biologists that checked in on the colony a few weeks earlier and found that the birds were healthy and thriving, reported last week that the herons, and even their nests, have simply "vanished."

According to Ann Eissinger, the foremost expert on the Point Roberts heron colony, "There were at least a hundred active pairs with young. We don't know what happened to them. The birds just disappeared," she said.

As reported by the Northwest Cable News Network's Gary Chittim, "And while biologists try to figure out where the birds went, the bigger, more serious question is: Why did they leave?" (Source: www.nwcn.com...
nvironment/stories/NW_071404ENBheronsKC.2fb56145c.html

As if all that is not enough...we now have another disturbing development involving pelicans.

According to a new report on Reuters, California's endangered brown pelicans are "mysteriously starving to death during a bumper year for anchovies, their preferred prey....Hundreds of the ungainly sea birds appear to have flown off course in search of food...with young pelicans turning up in Arizona deserts...." (Source: www.reuters.co.uk...
enceNews&storyID=5710549§ion=news)

Why are these pelicans flying off course?

What caused the healthy, thriving heron colony to "mysteriously vanish?" And what of the 30,000 pelicans who abandoned their nests and eggs and simply disappeared without a trace?

Are these animals being effected by electromagnetic influences that scientists do not fully understand? We have the recent report from the NY Times of the "collapse" of the earth's magnetic field. Some are even speculating that we are undergoing a "reversal" of the magnetic field, which obviously would profoundly effect migratory animals.

These four bird mysteries which have manifested in a span of WEEKS count as extraordinary evidence that something is happening electromagnetically on our planet. Does the scientific Establishment have any answers for these anomalies...or are we simply going to be left with more questions?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
dunt dunt du...

This really creeps me out. I wonder what the hay is going on?

There are several possibilities some in which are more scary thoughts that could go through our minds, like:

1. something in the air that has not affected us yet? I know some people have complained of dizzyness, headaches, verdigo lately also some people have complained about feeling time changes.

2. world changes that affect birds first maybe

3. disaster coming

I am going to watch other animals and see if I notice any changes in them. Ask around see if anyone has noticed behavor changes in their pets, etc. without implying anything, just curious - ya know? I mean how often does a flock of birds (whole flock) just drop from the sky and die (China), and how often does a whole flock mistake asphalt or rock for water? Disappearing flocks? Creepy, just creepy.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Actually the problem may be simpler than that. I think that we are looking at a simple case of habitat loss and changes caused by human activities.

news.theolympian.com...

Eagle attacks have reduced heron populations at Point Roberts over the past few years.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I wonder if the changing magnetic field has anything to do with it? Pole shift anyone?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Animal will know first if something was going to happen. It may be the only warning we have. The links provided above do not work so i was hoping for someone else might be able to shine some light on this story.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think we should also look into any unusual activity amongst other migratory animals such as some fish? What about locusts and stuff are they appearing in unusual places?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Hello!

We are most likley talking about habitat loss here, not nessessarily a polution/magnetic field issue.

As the above link indicates, the growing eagle population has taken to predating on the nesting herons. So the herons go somewhere else. only there aint any somewhere elses left ot go to.

FWIW, I am a occaisional birder and the great blue herons are doing quite nicely here in the midwest.

The red tailed hawk population has been pretty good also, but the chickadee counts are still somewhat low.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I kinda posed this question in a similar thead, but I guess I was not specific enough in my question, and thus, did not get the response I was looking for. So here I go again...

These problems seem to be occuring in different parts of the country, not just one particular region. This leads us to the question, is this coincidence or something larger (magnetic shift, pole shift, whatever)?

If you were to believe that a change in the Earth's magnitism is the cause of this, then wouldn't ALL bird populations be affected and cause them to act strange, and not just these particular populations?

Now I am not too familiar with these areas (WA, CA, AZ, ND) so this is kinda an uninformed guess, but compared with their history, they might be experiencing rapid human interferance, causing quick changes in their ecosystems. Other species might be acting strangly in these areas as well, but because they do not live in as large of groups, the strange behavior might be a little more difficult to notice and document.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What problems?

What Species?

What areas?

Please provide more data

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Weird, links should be working......got the story on rense.com

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Rense is not a valid source for any story.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Your ongoing participation in this thread, HowardRoark, has peaked my interest. Well done!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Got to ask this question - don't want to start anything and I know this may sound a little dorky, but take a listen early in the morning...do any of you still hear the early morning chirps of birds finding food?

We have had extrememly good weather and usually you can hear the birds chirping "loudly" in the wee morning -

Let me know if you still hear them where you live early in the morning. Several of my neighbors and some friends that live a ways away have commented on this so I have been monitoring for the past week or so and nodda.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here's "more data" about strange bird activity.

www.heraldsun.news.com.au...

ORGANISERS of a race for homing pigeons were still scratching their heads in wonder today after about 1500 of the birds, famous for their ability to find their way home, went missing during the contest.

Of the 2000 pigeons let loose last week, only about 500 have returned to their lofts after the 150km flight between the cities of Ljungby and Malmoe in southern Sweden, said Lars-Aake Nilsson of the Malmoe Homing Pigeon Club.
"The weather was perfect - no rain, no thunder and no strong winds," he said.

In past races, the birds, all of which sport electronic identification tags around their feet, made the journey in about two hours.

But at Sunday's race, something went wrong.

"I have worked with pigeons since 1960 and have never experienced anything like this," Nilsson said, adding that the birds might have been thrown off course by subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field.

[edit on 7/22/2004 by Bangin]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
There is something going on to cause this anomaly.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I could swallow the destroyed habitat scenario for one region. However, several regions across the U.S. and all over the world are experiencing very odd occurences. I still think it's to do with the Earth's magnetic field. I tried to find a link for the magnetic field strength but I don't have a lot of time. BUt as you probably know the field has different strengths all over the world. IMO field disturbances would be localized and therefore could explain what's been happening with the birds.

Very strange indeed. What other animals use the magnetic field to navigate? Look for odd whale and dolphin activity as well as fish. There has been a rash of shark attacks this year. Sharks use a sensitive lateral array that detects electrical impulses in it's prey. Could the magnetic field be affecting this and giving the sharks confusing signals?? Just a thought, no links to back it up.

Later,

Deez

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Deeznutz: I agree with you that there is obviously a reason other than the destroyed habitat scenario for the birds strange behavior, especially in the light of the homing pigeons losing their way home... maybe the government destroyed their habitat while they were flying home?

There are always glib answers to strange behavior in animals - like the melon-headed whales in Hawaii - is it sonar excercises that have caused them to almost beach? Or the earths geo-magnetic changes, or the activities of HAARP? It all comes down to navigation.

"Near-beaching of 200 whales heats up battle over use of sonar

By Mark Kaufman

THE WASHINGTON POST

WASHINGTON - Residents of Hanalei Bay on the Hawaiian island of Kauai woke up last weekend to a distressing sight: As many as 200 melon-headed whales, a small and sociable species that usually stays in deep waters, were swimming in a tight circle as close as 100 feet from the beach, showing clear signs of stress.

To keep the animals from beaching, the locals kept a vigil all day and through the night, until a flotilla of kayaks and outrigger canoes could be assembled to herd the animals back out to sea. So far, only one young whale has been found dead.

But among increasingly worried whale advocates and researchers, the event set off immediate alarm bells: Melon-headed whales are not known to beach themselves, and nothing like this mass stranding close call has occurred in Hawaii in 150 years."

www.kentucky.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What if the whale thing and the bird thing have something in common?

It's obvious that something is happening, so I am wondering if the governments experiments are causing these strange things to happen, and it is now known in the public eye that strange things are happening with our whales, birds, etc. and there are fingers being pointed towards experimental distress, why would they keep doing it?

Long sentence - sorry.

If you got caught with your pants down, wouldn't you quickly pull them up? Would you keep doing something bad if you were all of a sudden in a spot light? Or maybe it's a puzzle to them as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
don't forget the lower number of fros and the very high number of frog mutations-maybe hey are all linked

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have a lesser blue heron and a White Egret feeding on fish in the lake at my office today, they seem fine, and it is 93 degrees today.
john

top topics

<<   2 >>

join