It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage Acceptance or No Jobs

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Dendro

I am an american and there is still slave trading
all over this planet.
That is not the issue being discussed here.

If you are going to use the Bible as your justification for condemning homosexuality than you have to also acknowledge that the scriptures are immoral in promoting/condoning heinous acts such as slavery, rape, murder and incest.

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

I obey secular law as long as it doesn't go
against God's laws.

And you follow God’s laws implicitly? I bet I can give you about a hundred examples of ways you will break one of God’s laws today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... basically always.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
reply to post by texastig

Rights are not based on behavior, leaving convicted felons out of the argument. Saying that homosexual people are trying to base rights on the behavior is inaccurate.

What is happening is that homosexuals' rights are being denied because of their behavior because that behavior grosses people out. And frankly, it grosses me out. That's why I don't engage in homosexual behavior.

But what is happening is that people are trying to enshrine their disapproval of behavior in illegally discriminatory laws.

What's next? Who's rights shall next be suppressed because a lot of people find their behavior objectionable? People who smoke, maybe? People who eat meat? People who won't eat meat? Muslims? Christians? Jews? Blacks? Whites?

It is already happening with gays, Muslims and smokers. How many more do you all want to add to the list of "their rights don't count because I don't like their behavior"?

How far will it go? If we give rights to homosexuals to marry then we will have to give rights for polygamists (which they are trying to do in Canada), etc...
If they ever get the right of marriage, it will change society completely (this is sort of happening in Washington D.C. with a Catholic organization). It will be taught in schools as normal, businesses will have to comply, you'll see it plastered on TV, etc...
Homosexuals have the highest rate of diseases among the population and that's according to CDC data.
People don't want homosexual marriage and that is proven because the people of over 30 states have rejected it. People don't want to live by Sharia law and everyone knows that second hand smoke is as deadly or deadlier than smoking.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mizbeach40
Banning gay unions is unconstitutional.

It seems you are ignorant. There is nothing in the Constitution about homosexual unions.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

In those 30 states did they do public opinion polls regarding people's stances on homosexuality or was it just assumed it was people's stance? I would love to see the actual polls that demonstrate this.

My college recently had elections on whether or not to keep the Gay Straight Alliance alive and there were 531 votes yes and only 92 votes against.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
If you are going to use the Bible as your justification for condemning homosexuality than you have to also acknowledge that the scriptures are immoral in promoting/condoning heinous acts such as slavery, rape, murder and incest.

The Bible talks about those things but God "never" condoned it.
Plus, you have to stay in context of what the Bible says.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Have you read your Bible lately? God doesn't only condone it, but at times, orders it. It is not taking it out of context if you reference Leviticus about Homosexuality but ignore the section on Slavery. It is perfectly well within context.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

*cough*

That's the slippery slope fallacy.

Just throwing that out there. Obviously you don't care if your religion has no right to be in the law system, so nothing we say will change your mind, even though there are MANY sects of Christianity that are accepting of homosexuals.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

In those 30 states did they do public opinion polls regarding people's stances on homosexuality or was it just assumed it was people's stance? I would love to see the actual polls that demonstrate this.

My college recently had elections on whether or not to keep the Gay Straight Alliance alive and there were 531 votes yes and only 92 votes against.

They didn't have to do public opinion polls in those 30 states, THE PEOPLE VOTED!!!
(By the way, polls are easily manipulated.)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig

They didn't have to do public opinion polls in those 30 states, THE PEOPLE VOTED!!!
(By the way, polls are easily manipulated.)

(By the way, so are votes). The fact is that more conservatives vote than people with every day opinions. If we got every person who thought their vote didn't count to vote, then you would see a far more accurate reflection of the public opinion on matters such as these.

Which brings an important matter to mind. If an issue such as this comes up in your state, vote! It doesn't matter that you're one person, one person times a hundred thousand makes a hundred thousand votes that normally wouldn't be counted!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Have you read your Bible lately? God doesn't only condone it, but at times, orders it. It is not taking it out of context if you reference Leviticus about Homosexuality but ignore the section on Slavery. It is perfectly well within context.

I have read my Bible for over 21 years. I've seen people like you come and go because you don't take the Bible in context. God does not approve of homosexuality and He doesn't approve of slavery.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I have read my Bible for over 21 years. I've seen people like you come and go because you don't take the Bible in context. God does not approve of homosexuality and He doesn't approve of slavery.

I guess you mean in the context of the time period, when slaves weren't people like they are today?

God's word is supposed to be infallible. It doesn't change based on social structures over time. Either believe the whole Bible and follow everything it actually tells you to do, or only believe parts of it and stop trying to force your personal beliefs on others.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
reply to post by mamabeth

Mamabeth why do you keep bringing sex into this conversation. This is about equal civil rights for all people. Do you also think that blacks should "keep their place" and stay out of your little world? Actually the issue is not about sex or religious beliefs or morality, its about equal rights under the law. What part of that can't you understand.?????

Your personal opinions are exactly that. YOURS. You want free speech??? So does this lesbian. My granddaughters would love to meet you in a dark alley. From all of your posts, its apparent to me that you are abnormally preoccupied with what people do in bed. This is NOT the issue. If you want to rant about that why dont you start a different thread about it. This thread is about Jobs and Companys who do not condone discrimination.

Your personal opinions are exactly that. YOURS. You want free speech??? So does this lesbian. My granddaughters would love to meet you in a dark alley.

(-!?)
Lady, what the hell.

Again, thanks for reminding us all who the real bigots are.
edit on 22-3-2011 by AngryOne because: Added second quote.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

How far will it go? If we give rights to homosexuals to marry then we will have to give rights for polygamists (which they are trying to do in Canada), etc...

The whole state-regulated institute of marriage should be abolished. There is no need for it to be regulated by laws, if you think about it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

So for 21 years you have conveniently missed all the passages in Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy where God condones and even calls for slavery? Wow, that is some inactive reading.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
*cough*

That's the slippery slope fallacy.

Just throwing that out there. Obviously you don't care if your religion has no right to be in the law system, so nothing we say will change your mind, even though there are MANY sects of Christianity that are accepting of homosexuals.

My Christian religion is in the law system.
John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence
"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

Those other sects of Christianity are considered the "Apostate Church" which is a fulfillment of Biblical Prophecy.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Right, that's why we have a SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE, such that NO religion can make itself the ruling doctrine and infringe upon the freedoms of the people to practice the religions they want to.

You do know that this country was founded on the idea of freedom, right?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I guess you mean in the context of the time period, when slaves weren't people like they are today?
God's word is supposed to be infallible. It doesn't change based on social structures over time. Either believe the whole Bible and follow everything it actually tells you to do, or only believe parts of it and stop trying to force your personal beliefs on others.

Your not in context either. Are Christians supposed to obey Jewish laws? No, they don't follow Jewish laws. Christians follow Jesus.
Forcing my personal beliefs on others? I could say the same for you.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
Again, thanks for reminding us all who the real bigots are.
edit on 22-3-2011 by AngryOne because: Added second quote.

The homosexuals are bigots because they want to force their agenda on everyone.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Your not in context either. Are Christians supposed to obey Jewish laws? No, they don't follow Jewish laws. Christians follow Jesus.
Forcing my personal beliefs on others? I could say the same for you.

Why the heck did you bring up Leviticus then? That's Jewish law only.

And I'm not forcing my personal beliefs on you. I am asking you not to force yours on the people around you. You CAN keep your beliefs to yourself. Homosexuals CAN'T, because they are being denied equal protection of their unions under law!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
The whole state-regulated institute of marriage should be abolished. There is no need for it to be regulated by laws, if you think about it.

Actually it's in the states best interest to have marriage.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join