It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage Acceptance or No Jobs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

You honestly can't see how a scenario like this would be problematic?

Rule #1 regarding the "gay" issue:KEEP THE KIDS OUT OF IT.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryOne

I've known many people raised by homosexuals. Where has it ever been proven that they do not have the capability of providing a growing environment for a child?

The only people who claim that homosexuals would make bad parents are those who simply believe it due to their preconceived beliefs. Do you know how many kids are successfully raised in a single parent household? What about households in which there are two parent families due to a divorce and 2 remarriages? Should they be denied the right to raise their children due to it not being a mommy and daddy raising?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Children are gay. You don't magically turn into a gay as a teenager/adult. Yes, people will come to realize their sexuality by this age, but many gay adults knew from when they were children that they were gay. Keeping kids out of it doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I honestly can't see an issue with it.
They will be vetted by the same agencies that handle adoptions by heterosexuals, to make sure the child will be entering a healthy environment.

If you are referring to potential harassment the kid may receive from his peers, the problem exists with the bullies. Every kid eventually learns there are assholes in the world.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

That's the cold hard truth. I learned that during my first weeks in Kindergarten. I was bullied roughly and came home crying each day for a while. Oh look, my parents were straight AND in a stable marriage that never fell apart. What ever did they do wrong to cause me such hardship?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

You misunderstood me; that is not what I was insinuating.

Basically, I am just of the opinion that if gays want equal treatment, they MUST learn to just back off and keep this to themselves.
Dragging children into it just seems like such an awful idea.

That is my opinion,make of it what you will.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
reply to post by Dendro

Basically, I am just of the opinion that if gays want equal treatment, they MUST learn to just back off and keep this to themselves.

They would keep it to themselves if they could. The fact of the matter is that two homosexuals often fall in love and desire the ability to form a legal union that would allow them the ability to create a bond between each other just like heterosexuals have. It wouldn't be in your face if they simply had it already.

My sister has been living in California, and she can tell you just how normal it is to be gay over there. It's not a big deal at all to people in general once they allow it to be normal. If people would stop being so negative about it, gay people wouldn't have to enforce teaching of fairness and equality in schools or create penalties for jobs that discriminate based on sexual orientation.

What you're saying is that if you fell in love with a woman and wanted to get married, only to find that you couldn't marry her by law due to some religious bigots who said they thought your union was unnatural, you wouldn't consider fighting for your right to be with the woman you love?
edit on 21-3-2011 by Varemia because: syntax

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

If the Civil Rights Movement "backed off" I wonder where we would be right now?

Not only that, but your whole argument for having the gay community cool it down for equal rights does not even fit with the topic of this thread and pretty much renders it moot. A corporation is the one saying that it can't properly hire qualified employees because the laws discriminate against those individuals.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

I honestly can't see an issue with it.
They will be vetted by the same agencies that handle adoptions by heterosexuals, to make sure the child will be entering a healthy environment.

If you are referring to potential harassment the kid may receive from his peers, the problem exists with the bullies. Every kid eventually learns there are assholes in the world.

With all due respect, I don't think it matters if you see an issue with it or not, nor am I convinced that my opinion is of much importance.
I'm more concerned about those who are being exposed to this completely against their will.
And hey, if having doubts makes me a bigot,FINE.

BTW, I am a very slow typist.Please be patient with me.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia

reply to post by Dendro

They would keep it to themselves if they could. The fact of the matter is that two homosexuals often fall in love and desire the ability to form a legal union that would allow them the ability to create a bond between each other just like heterosexuals have. It wouldn't be in your face if they simply had it already.

My sister has been living in California, and she can tell you just how normal it is to be gay over there. It's not a big deal at all to people in general once they allow it to be normal. If people would stop being so negative about it, gay people wouldn't have to enforce teaching of fairness and equality in schools or create penalties for jobs that discriminate based on sexual orientation.

What you're saying is that if you fell in love with a woman and wanted to get married, only to find that you couldn't marry her by law due to some religious bigots who said they thought your union was unnatural, you wouldn't consider fighting for your right to be with the woman you love?
edit on 21-3-2011 by Varemia because: syntax

Actually, this has nothing to do with "religious bigots" OR marriage(in and of itself, at least).

You see, basically, I just want this stuff out of my face and out of the school system.
Is that REALLY to much to ask?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

If the Civil Rights Movement "backed off" I wonder where we would be right now?

Not only that, but your whole argument for having the gay community cool it down for equal rights does not even fit with the topic of this thread and pretty much renders it moot. A corporation is the one saying that it can't properly hire qualified employees because the laws discriminate against those individuals.

First of all, the whole "Civil Rights" thing is a strawman, completely irellevent.

And yeah, this thread has gotten a bit derailed.But, uh.....so?*shrug*

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

With all due respect, I don't think it matters if you see an issue with it or not, nor am I convinced that my opinion is of much importance.

I was responding to your statement that I should be seeing something problematic with gays raising children. I stated why I don't see a problem with it, you obviously do and you speak of it as if it is readily apparent to any fool willing to look. Well, I'm looking - what is the problem?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I was responding to your statement that I should be seeing something problematic with gays raising children. I stated why I don't see a problem with it, you obviously do and you speak of it as if it is readily apparent to any fool willing to look. Well, I'm looking - what is the problem?

Completely serious question:Why bother?
This discussion is obviously going absolutely nowhere, so to hell with it.
Seriously, this ****ing sucks.

Shall we agree to disagree?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Just because you claim an argument is strawmen but it doesn't make it true. Interracial marriages were illegal in the 1960s. If anything, the arguments are almost exact, just substitution of one group for another.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

Just because you claim an argument is strawmen but it doesn't make it true. Interracial marriages were illegal in the 1960s. If anything, the arguments are almost exact, just substitution of one group for another.

Look, I just want gays to back off, shut up, and leave people alone.
IF ONLY you could just do that, there would be no need for any of this.

edit on 22-3-2011 by AngryOne because: Missed a word.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Yeah, and all I want is for the general population to just accept the gay community as is. Looks like we've come to an impasse.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with how you feel towards gays. I would never debate your emotions or try to change them. But when you want to limit people's freedoms, like ban adoptions and surrogates for gays, you had better have a good reason IMO.

edit on 22-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Yeah, and all I want is for the general population to just accept the gay community as is.

Okay, NOW we may be getting somewhere;I would like to know EXACTLY what you mean when you say that.
Who knows, maybe we can actually agree on something.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Exactly how it sounds. Acceptance, not tolerance, of the gay community. I don't want to ever have to organize another candlelight vigil for teens who committed suicide because they were bullied about being gay, regardless if they were or were not. To never have another headline that a man was beaten into a coma in a gay bar because a heterosexual (or closeted homosexual) didn't take to getting hit on well.

Basically, to not live in fear in summation. That is all I'm asking for.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I don't have a problem with how you feel towards gays. I would never debate your emotions or try to change them. But when you want to limit people's freedoms, like ban adoptions and surrogates for gays, you had better have a good reason IMO.

edit on 22-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

Well said.

You see, I'm just suggesting that ALL third parties should have the right to be left out of this crap....obviously, that includes children.

DOES this really make me such a "bigot"?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join