It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bonnie Raitt rips Bush on stage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The rock music industry continues to rock George Bush with criticism. Unlike a recent event in Vegas, the performance was not interupted by the event promoters.

story.news.yahoo.com
STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) Winding up her summer tour across Europe, Bonnie Raitt (news) drew thunderous applause at the Stockholm Jazz Festival for dedicating a classic to President George Bush.

"We're gonna sing this for George Bush because he's out of here, people!" Raitt crowed Tuesday night before she launched into the opening licks of "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)," a cover that was featured on her 1979 album, "The Glow."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No public comment by Isaac Hayes and David Porter, the authors of the song, has been reported, however scandinavian concert goers reacted postively with applause and whistles. It appears we will be hearing more from celebrities on politics.

More information on Raitt can be found on her web site.
www.bonnieraitt.com...

And information on the concert can be found at the promoters web site.
www.stockholmjazz.com...

Despite what some ATS members may think, I personally put little value on the political opinion of entertainers, however it is news because the media makes so. And I am particularly repulsed by those that run for office with no qualifications.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Bonnie Raitt ROCKS. She has a right to speak out. I say good for her. She's courageous. If BushCo. can't stand the heat they should just get on outta the kitchen.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
she was also quoted as saying years ago, "I never sat on a face I did not like
"

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Stockholm, Sweden? Most probably, the audience spoke or understood very little English. They heard the name George Bush, and loudly applauded and cheered in support of our president.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I HATE when celebrities get involved in politics...I would have demanded a refund, I want to hear you sing, or play, or act, etc. I DON'T want to hear what you think about politics. (To these entertainers) I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, so shut up about it already, and do the job you are paid such a ridiculous amount to do.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I had heard on the radio that Cyndi Lauper voiced her displeasure with Bush, to a cheering crowd in California the other day. Seems like there is a spate of celebrities speaking out lately.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plato986
I HATE when celebrities get involved in politics...I would have demanded a refund, I want to hear you sing, or play, or act, etc. I DON'T want to hear what you think about politics. (To these entertainers) I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, so shut up about it already, and do the job you are paid such a ridiculous amount to do.

It is sad that they think we care. All she wanted was her name on the front page of the news paper. Some attention is better than none at all, i guess. She had to be hurtin attention, she was playing in Las Vegas. I would asked for my money back too and i am glad to see Aladdin threw her out.

Did the Dixie Chicks have a fall out after their harsh words about Bush and America when they were in Europe?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I had heard on the radio that Cyndi Lauper voiced her displeasure with Bush, to a cheering crowd in California the other day. Seems like there is a spate of celebrities speaking out lately.

Yea, their hero Michael Moore has inspired all the over paid celebs. It is Bush bashing time.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The headline is "almost profane" I had to read the story..

I guess it's pretty safe to belittle the leader of this country, when you are in
ANOTHER country.

Maybe she should try out her act in Vegas?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Alright Bonnie! Way to go!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Way to go Bonnie! I like her, or what I know of "her". I don't care for much of her music though and I hate the way they classify her as rock...I do not consider her music rock...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok, Linda R. and Bonnie R. are has beens, the only way for them to get any media attention is to bash the President.

Tell me when was the last time these to had any air time except on the oldies radio programs. Its been years for both.

john

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I love it the Bu#s have nothing to say in defense, so shoot the messenger Ha Ha celebrity have no right to defame the unelected pResident of the U.S of,A
Boly woggs I say Boly woggs
November cant come quick enough

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Sauron,

Defense of what.?
The president?
our country?
Both?

I think both.

She said something stupid, like a parrot.
And Americans are saying WAY TO GO Bonnie?
You must be SO proud!!

Fact is I am ashamed of some elements of our country that elevate the likes of Michael Moore to HERO status, because he has his finger on the pulse of all the "useful Idiots"? Like Bonnie, and Linda (poor poor pitful) Ronstadt.
You are SO blinded by your Hate for GWB, that you can't even understand the
difference between Truth and propaganda..

I am truly worried about this country..It's filling up with SUCKERS..

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Sauron,

Defense of what.?
The president?
our country?
Both?

I think both.

She said something stupid, like a parrot.
And Americans are saying WAY TO GO Bonnie?
You must be SO proud!!

Fact is I am ashamed of some elements of our country that elevate the likes of Michael Moore to HERO status, because he has his finger on the pulse of all the "useful Idiots"? Like Bonnie, and Linda (poor poor pitful) Ronstadt.
You are SO blinded by your Hate for GWB, that you can't even understand the
difference between Truth and propaganda..

I am truly worried about this country..It's filling up with SUCKERS..

The pResident, thats who.
I have a few American friends, and they are shamed by G.W. Bush. And because of him and his Cabal America has become the laughing stock of the World just incase you didnt know, all because you president has an IQ that matches his shoe size
A parrot? Who else said Your Good Thing (is about to end)?
These people connect with the peons (Im one of them I think your are too) of this world and if they can connect on the same vibe so be it, sorry you dont like the message

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sauron,

America, "The laughing stock of the world"
I care about this country, If others think this place is so
funny. Maybe they can look elsewhere, when times get hard, or they are
attacked, or when an earthquake strikes..
I can promise that this HILARIOUS country would come to the aid of the striken.

Maybe we should close our borders to prevent ALL those people, that are trying
to escape the awful conditions that we have to live under? All those people, trying to get into Mexico, for the wonderful free healthcare... or Canada, for the Tylenol3 and the 222's.

Keep laughing at us, 'til you turn purple, it's truly beneficial. It will hide your true colors..that nice shade of "Envy Green"..

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Space doubt
I think we owe df1 the curtsies of staying on topic, witch we arent
Though I do enjoy pushing your buttons this will be my last response to you in this thread
Take care Sauron

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
LOL,

My "buttons" remain unpushed and intact..
But, at least you are Almost right about ONE thing. We're straying only slightly off topic.

Sorry df1..

I always Kinda liked Bonnies Music..Was never a big fan.
She'll be a HUGE hit overseas come November when Bush is Re-elected.!

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Are these people who hate entertainers speaking their opinion the same ones who burn Harry Potter books? Or, should I start a new thread: "Beatles say they are more popular than Jesus!" I mean jeez, thier are people behind those people you pay to entertain you. They can't encase themselves in a bubble and paint smiles on thier faces. They have thoughts and feelings like everyone else. Wagner was a nazi, but I still enjoy his pieces. Maybe time is what you people need. It seems people get all worked-up over the hot button issues, but then your attention span wanes until you find something else to rile against.

df1

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I posted this as it seemed to relate to the recent corporate censorship in Vegas, however I believed that it would receive several mundane posts then be gone. But rather than ending, this has turned into a cult and the volume of text posted grossly exceeds the length of the very short article.

I do not care for entertainers of any party being involved in politics neither as candidates nor as commentators. ATS has thousands of issues more important than Bonnie Raitts politics. IMHO it would serve you well to comment on those issues instead of continuing this thread any further.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join