It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help -- "super moon" pics and tales

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scratcher

That was AWESOME when the ISS flew by! Here is how the moon looked FROM the ISS yesterday....I was watching hoping to catch it and did.......it just shows how small the moon is compared to the Earth!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thought I would add this, took it last night during the Super Moon

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Those pics and videos were great, thanks everyone for your effort.

Again though after having gone outside all evening (in spurts not continually) I was disappointed, the moon was no where as large as I have seen it in the past. It was a nice full moon, but it broke no records in its appearance of size.

So, why has the moon looked much larger but this one was called a supermoon? What is it was it appears much larger in our sky, but for whatever isn't super? I mean far more recently than 18 years ago I recall it's perceived size to be at least double that which I saw last night, if not more. I'm not understanding the big deal.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
well my efforts failed i had a nice cloudy night when it was surpossed to be clear >
as per usual so no pics from me i did see it the night before and when it was rising it looked bigger but when it had set high in the sky look almost normal aside from the fact it was super bright

so sorry cool videos posted tho

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Many, many thanks to everyone for the pics, videos, instructions and comments, and to all those who tried. 'Sounds like the general consensus was that the moon really didn't appear any bigger, but it was brighter than ever.

In my OP, I mentioned that it was raining cats and dogs here so I wouldn't be able to see it. Well, Friday, during the middle of the night, I woke up and walked into my living room and found it flooded in moonlight. The clouds had parted, and I had a full view of it. Gorgeous! I gazed at it for a few moments, went to get my camera, and it was gone -- obscured by the clouds again.

As for full moon weirdness, I emceed a staged event Sunday and absolutely everything went wrong! Sound equipment failed, people made mistakes that they wouldn't otherwise make, things got mixed up left and right by a seasoned crew who knew better, spectators interrupted performances, peoples' tempers flared...we all eventually threw up our hands and said, "Must be that crazy full moon!"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Those pics and videos were great, thanks everyone for your effort.

Again though after having gone outside all evening (in spurts not continually) I was disappointed, the moon was no where as large as I have seen it in the past. It was a nice full moon, but it broke no records in its appearance of size.

So, why has the moon looked much larger but this one was called a supermoon? What is it was it appears much larger in our sky, but for whatever isn't super? I mean far more recently than 18 years ago I recall it's perceived size to be at least double that which I saw last night, if not more. I'm not understanding the big deal.
Dont know if anyone has answered this yet but depending on what time of night you are looking at the moon it will look larger or smaller. If you look just after sunset when the moon is just rising it will look much larger than it will later in the night when it is high in the sky. The size doesnt change but at the horizon you have more scenery in the forground to gage the size by so it appears larger. The moon should still look pretty large and close to full tonight. Try looking due east at around 7:30 or so and it should still be pretty low in the sky.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
Dont know if anyone has answered this yet but depending on what time of night you are looking at the moon it will look larger or smaller. If you look just after sunset when the moon is just rising it will look much larger than it will later in the night when it is high in the sky. The size doesnt change but at the horizon you have more scenery in the forground to gage the size by so it appears larger. The moon should still look pretty large and close to full tonight. Try looking due east at around 7:30 or so and it should still be pretty low in the sky.

No one addressed me, I was being ignored
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if you've been following the thread, but a page back or so some of us remember a moon that seemed to take up a very large portion of the night sky. I know it is only perceived size, but it was much larger than the little adjustments for where is lies against the horizon. I mean really that sucker was huge and red it would have dwarfed that silly little super moon we had the other night
Just to give you a very basic idea, when I stood outside the other evening I could hold the moon between my thumb and pointer finger with a gap of about 1.5 inches. The one I remember would take my whole hand to block and I could still see it around the edges. I know don't laugh at my measurement style, it just seems to be the only way I can convey it over the internet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join