It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS agenda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Since none of the moderators are responding I will try again.

There is a concerted effort to maintain a clean and repectful site. No racist, nationalistic, off color thought. Great.

But it seems to stop when threads or comments about America, Americans, Conservatives, pro war, military religious topics pop up.

It seems like there is a rush of moderators to shut down threads that comment on France or criticize Islam (Criticize not insult.)

It is open season though on the military, its personel, conservatives or any one pro Iraq war. Any thought no matter how below the belt is fair.

Is there an agenda? You are allowed to have one. It is your site. Just asking.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think you SEE what YOU want. You see these threads being closed but only yhe one you want to see. The reason I see these thread closed, is because the become unrulely and mean. And they have been gone over many many many times. Why does there have to be an agenda? Why does there have to be anything? Why cant it be what it is. A greta site where people can speak there mind and debate facts of the world on a moderated level?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I can't say that I've witnessed unfair or biased moderation of this site.

It seems like there is a rush of moderators to shut down threads that comment on France or criticize Islam (Criticize not insult.)

In my time here, I have yet to see a single thread which criticises either Islam or France without descending into pointless mudslinging within two or three posts. If the fanatics can't keep their typing fingers under control, then the thread will be deleted - this is not censorship of an idea, this is censorship of uncontrolled aggression and inflammatory, usually rascist, comments.

But, as has been observed, people see what they want to see. This isn't the first allegation of a vast left-wing conspiracy, and it won't be the last.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism.

The problem beings when people start to get hateful or start making xenophobic comments about other cultures that are stereotypes and largely unfounded.

Treat people as you wish to be treated and you'll be fine.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is no agenda.

All staff have different and wide ranging views.

I think it's quite funny the image that we're all lefty liberal or that we're all neo-cons.It's simply not true.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Your not answering the question.

Why is criticism of the right allowed and not the left?

Mean, nasty hurtful comments about military personel and neo cons( code word for jew) is almost passe.

But wow, make a comment about liberals/anti war it is "Mudslinging like this belongs in the mudpit."

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
or...

when people make certain claims of "proof" or "evidence" and then provide absolutely nothing and go right back to the name calling and childish actions that get threads closed.

no agenda here.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ah yes, the good old "nazi style mods" thread has appeared again!

No, but seriously, just look at afew threads that closed due to xenophobic comments. You will see that it all ended with alot of name calling etc. For example, a thread called "the so called jews are behind the New World Order" turned from a excellent thread with loads of replies to a good old jew bashing session.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Since none of the moderators are responding I will try again....

Is there an agenda? You are allowed to have one. It is your site. Just asking.

Sorry about the seemed indiferrence and delay in replying crmanager - pressure of work I assure you.

The simple answer is that there isn't an agenda. What we try to do is to uphold the TOC's of the Board, which people who sign up to ATS agree to work within. So, we try to keep flaming in check (for example), and it might be that the "extreme" posts you cite rapidly turn into flame wars, which isn't particularly pleasant to witness: there are other websites where this can be done, I'm sure.

The longer answer is that there isn't an agenda: none of the admin or staff work for ATS for remuneration as far as I am aware. It isn't a "paid job". As such, we don't have "team meetings" nor video conferences - perhaps we have U2U contact, and obviously raise issues in Cosmic, but these are fairly ad hoc.

What I'm trying to say is that we don't have the *time* to set and oversee an agenda, other than working within and trying to maintain the Terms and Conditions of the board. We also use our own judgement - and undoubted personal "tastes" - in interpreting what might be in "good taste" or otherwise.

Being human, of course, we are bound to make some mistakes but, hopefully our "successes" outnumber these occasional "hiccups"? Given the numbers of people who visit ATS - and stay on to be members - I suspect most people are reasonably happy with any perceived "agenda" that ATS appears to have??

Just my 0.02 incidentally - I didn't have a meeting with the CEO before replying!!

I hope that helps somewhat??

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Have you considered the possibility that liberals and other "lefties" can express themselves without resorting to insults and threats more often - and more eloquently - than right-wingers can?

And - forgive my dropped jaw - since when was "neo-con" a code-word for jew? Since when was "neo-con" a code-word for anything?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am against censership of any type, even name-calling and mud-slinging but this is a privite site not a government owned one so they have a right to shut down ANY speach they deem fit. I dont agree with it and think it is the first step on a slippery slope that ends free speach BUT it is their site and any one here is free to start their own or move to a site that more agrees with there own veiws.

I thought the old mud-pit was a good idea an area where pretty much anything goes but it is not my call and if I, and many others I am sure, think this censership goes to far I will move to another site, so far I have not seen it affect any debate but I am affraid it could lead a stiffling of ideas.

We will see.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Since I have been a member of ATS I have see just fairness on the part of moderators toward posting, heated debates are allowed what is not allowed is nonsense.

I have been on various of this heated debates because I prefer religion, politics and topics that are controversial, as long as the topics stays hot but civil I enjoy them, once is starts getting racial or two sided I will step back and let go. I think it has a lot with common sense, and been careful of not losing your temper.

I will not say that in the past I had my share of seen heated debates with moderators but what can I say they are human too.

And for pro Iraq war and people against Islam and pro conservatives, I said I have a fair shared of debating in post like that, I am against the war, I don't like the conservative or liberal mix views, and I have plenty of opinions with the Islam radicals views, so I think ATS and BTS is pretty fear for all.

If they were not I will not be here and spend the time I spend.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Great.

I was just curious how such awful badmouthing is allowed when it seems to be aimed at certain conservative points.

By the way, list the NEO CONS in the administration

1. Richard Perle
2. Paul Wolfowitz
3. Irving Kristol
4. Douglas Feith

You cannot tell me that the people who throw that term so loosely aren't a little...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
To put it short most of us come to ATS for intelligent conversation. You see most of us are above the third grade level. And most younger members at least act mature. The idea is that mudslinging is for the politicians. Inteligent conversation is for the voters.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
CRM, are you calling T.C. a leftist Liberal?
You better watch your back.
Cobra hit the nail on the head, some people here see what they want and when they ARE shown something they claim it's propaganda or lies, I'm talking about both sides. Well, if that is the case, you probably will say that, "Thomas is a fake Cons., here to throw the membership off of the Liberal scheme."

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Yeah the propaganda claim is a tough one because most people sling that word around like dirty diapers at a day care center. When you point out any type of ignorance you need to point out the facts of why it is invalid. When you just slam people with a blanket of dismissing terms to void their argument without pointing to valid facts and findings than you have become a promoter of ignorance. I know we have all done it at some point in time but when you have multiple people in a thread all dismissing the facts (usually leads to flaming and insults) with blanket statements it is not longer a constructive thread and should be erased. So when you post on sensitive issues take care to pay attention to what the facts of the matter are.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
You couldn't be more wrong in thinking Neo-Con is a "code word" for Jews. It stands for Neo Conservatives or New Conservatives.

As far as your saying this site is a leftwing affair, that one cracks me up. Just last month we had several Liberals who decrying our moderation for being Neo-Cons, Right Wingers, Republican door mats and all sorts of other lovely terms...

It appears as though if you dwell on the far side of either philosophy (left or right wing) you will only see the extremes wherever you look.

m...

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This site is run by COMMUNISTS!!

This site is really run by people like you and me

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
1. Richard Perle
2. Paul Wolfowitz
3. Irving Kristol
4. Douglas Feith

Thanks for the tip I will be looking for these now

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
This site is run by COMMUNISTS!!

This site is really run by people like you and me

I would NEVER join a group that had people like me running it

Although I dont like the idea of censering ANYONES speach I have not noticed any slant one way or the other

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join