It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incoming comet/asteroid as viewed by NASA's SOHO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hi all,

Does anyone know the name of this incoming comet as viewed by NASA�s comet watch (top middle):

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Cheers

JS

[edit on 21-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Nothing really showing on the tables - forgive me for being un-educated with the SOHO diagram, but I really can't read it.

I don't see anything really that stands out. There is a blip coming from the N heading S, but it just looks like all the other blips to me.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Godsent,

Apparently the SWAN imaging is used (amongst other things) to detect incoming comets etc.

Basically, if there are "objects" coming toward SOHO then it denotes an incoming object.

SOHO is on the Langrarian (sp) L1 position between the sun and the earth so anything heading for the SOHO, I assume, is also heading for us.

Cheers

JS

[edit on 21-7-2004 by jumpspace]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Does this mean were screwed? are we going to get hit? hmmm any answers?

well also space stop spamming!

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Makaveli777back]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
We probably won't get hit by anything. Stuff like that shows up on swan all the time.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
can anyone with knowledge on SOHO explain how we can read this image? I too see the image moving in what we would picture as north to south (I am sure it's not measured that way in space).

Any help would be appreciated

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov... Explains a little more about how SWAN works

E_T

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Nothing new, SOHO have found many new comet.
You'll recognise those from their name which is SOHO and number.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
There was one object that came within 5 LU (1 Lunar Distance =384,000 km) of earth today - July 25th! Another one will come within 41.7 LU of earth on July 28th. Look at this page: neo.jpl.nasa.gov... it shows all the know objects coming our way. If you click on the object name, it will show you a little 2D animation that you can play with to see where it travels as it passes through our solar system. Pretty cool!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
noticed on asteroid on july 16th was about .4 ld from earth, which in contrasts to the other numbers listed seems extremely close:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 25-7-2004 by invinv]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
Hi all,

Does anyone know the name of this incoming comet as viewed by NASA�s comet watch (top middle):

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Cheers

JS

[edit on 21-7-2004 by John bull 1]

I guess we could call it aussie bloke, I mean he used the same thing to display his somewhat dumbfounded knowledge.

join