It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU: Treatment of WikiLeaks suspect is unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The American Civil Liberties Union has finally spoken up on behalf of pfc. Manning, declaring Manning's treatment at Quantico is a Constitutional violation!

ACLU: Treatment of WikiLeaks suspect is unconstitutional.

ACLU executive director Anthony Romero wrote to Defense Secretary Robert Gates Wednesday, claiming that reports Manning is being forced to sleep naked in a military prison is a "gratuitously harsh treatment" that "violates fundamental constitutional norms."

"No legitimate purpose is served by keeping Private Manning stripped naked; in prolonged isolated confinement and utter idleness; subjected to sleep deprivation through repeated physical inspections throughout the night; deprived of any meaningful opportunity to exercise, even in his cell; and stripped of his reading glasses so that he cannot read," Romero said.

"Absent any evident justification, such treatment is clearly forbidden by our Constitution," he wrote.

It's about time the ACLU got involved in this matter. IMHO, if a citizen of the u.s. acquires doumentation that reveals the government's activities as being illegal and criminal in nature it is thier constitutional duty to abde by thier sworn oath and povide the best avenue possible for it to get exposed. Thank you WikiLeaks!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
And treason is punishable by death

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

* - There is a procedure in place for military persons who find information and blow the whistle.
Pvt. Manning did not follow that procedure.

* - Pvt. Manning released information that is not covered under whistle blower statutes.
Violaion of procedure and FEderal Law

* - Pvt. Manning disclosed top secret information to a 3rd party who is not authorised to have the information.
Violation of Federal Law

* - Pvt. Manning had FULL knowledge of the UCMJ when he enlisted in the military. Pvt. Manning had FULL knowledge about the proper handeling of classified / Top Secret information because of his MOS.

The treatment Pvt. Manning receives from the military personnel at the Brig in Quantico is the exact same treatment any other military person would receive if facing the same charges and made the same comments Manning did.

Pvt. Manning has been through 3 seperate issues dealing with suicidal comments, with the most recent stating he would use his underwear to strangle himself, which is the reason that was taken at bed time.

As far as the ACLU goes, the treament of Pvt. Manning is not a violation of the Constution. Pvt. Manning has been charged and is in Military Custody, and to date, not one of his rights has been violated. To anyone who wants to make an argument in this regard, please familiarize yourself with the UCMJ and NOT civilian law, there are some major differences between the 2.

As a side note, is not not hypocritical for people to demand the Federal Government comply with established laws, while at the exact same time ignoring that law for Mannings actions?

With all of the documents released to date, what has it accomplished?
* - We are still involved in 2 wars
* - Wikileaks confirmed WMDs were found in IRaq
* - To date no one has been charged for any crimes
* - To date no one named in any of the documents / cables has been fired / charged / arrested.

So far, the only person who has benefited from the release of all of this information - Julian Assange.

go figure...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

Yeah. Too bad that all those treasonous idiots in office are still there and the hero who deserves a metal for exposing them is in jail.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

And right you are, I dont agree with the government on any level. But you cant do things like that and expect A. not to get caught and B. Expect not to be punished for it, he dug his own grave now let the martyr die for his cause.
edit on 05/24/2010 by FrancoUn-American because: I cant spell

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

I'm sorry. Did I miss the part where he's been found guilty of treason by a jury of his peers?

I didn't miss the part where he's been thrown headlong into what amounts to a dungeon...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The US Military, the congress, the President, and anyone else recieving a government check, works for the civilian population of this country. We will decide what is right or wrong. It's time people started remembering that. The UCMJ and any other laws can be changed by us (the people). As far as Manning; He's a traitor, but so are the many others I've seen caught in my lifetime. Are these others being treated the same? I always thought that the penalty for treason was death. Seems that isn't true.

new topics

top topics

join