It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just in Radiation Reaches California!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I live in the East Bay, and for several days now, there have been low-flying planes that don't seem to be following the usual flight paths for the airports at Oakland and SFO. About two days ago around midnight one flew so low that I thought it was crashing. Today I'm hearing them like every half hour. Anybody have a perfectly reasonable explanation for this? I would really like that.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Any questions?

Just one question for you Harry...
Are you going to man-up and appologize to ATS members who get sick, who have deformed children, or even die from exposure?
I think you should be banned ASAP for such ignorance and calusness.
Deny ignorance is our motto...you personify ignorance!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

Any questions?

Are you going to man-up and appologize to ATS members who get sick, who have deformed children, or even die from exposure?

And a good day to you too, Sir!

Oh, and Yes, I will apologize. But by then, I'll probably be dead anyways, so please forgive me if I don't live long enough to do that.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Come on Harry for real, could you elaborate a little. This is why we started this discussion-we aren't questioning your credentials, we want your knowledge. Elaborate-KI pills?

If there was a threat to us how could we prepare? I'm not a scientist, I'm a web designer with interest in the scientific community is all, and I'm concerned, I was looking for someone with knowledge. And so far we have heard don't worry, I'm sorry it was more sarcastic like your all the laughing stock...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I'm with Harry on this subject. Seems some folks get so worked up on the what if's, they don't take the time to enjoy the what is.......
I will be the first to admit I know next to nothing about this type of radiation. However, my experience with ionizing radiation, that which you are exposed to at the doc's office, taught me one principle that may help here. The further from the source the less of the dosage. If I moved my xray tube to 72 inches, I had to use almost 4 times the amount of radiation to get the same effect I would get on a film at 40 inches.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by VenomVile.6

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by VenomVile.6
Yup, yup... Thats why I believe the mountains are the only thing thats going to stop the winds, and theres going to be a thick build up that will fade slowly after we get anuff....

How high is the jet stream? The sub-tropicals are 33,000-52,000 feet. Mt. Lassen, just to use a West Coast example, 10,462 feet. Mt. Whitney is the tallest mountain on the West Coast at 14,505. So do you really think the mountains are going to "stop the winds"?

Maybe not all, none the less... some particales might build up, spread out and stay for a bit.

even if its not "alot", being exposed for along while is still not healthy for anything.
and dont say it is

Back up here a sec. You SAID "mountains are the only thing thats (sic) going to stop the winds." Although I did not use the term, I pointed out that idea was ludicrous because the winds are so much higher than the mountains. Now you have come back and suggested "some particales (sic) might build up."

How, exactly? You have not shown any kind of mechanism for that to happen.

And I NEVER said prolonged exposure is healthy.

The whole idea of the West Coast being somehow "at risk" due to Japanese radiation is much ado about nothing. No one has produced ANY evidence showing you ought to take any precautions whatsoever. I know it can be kind of boring without something exciting to stir up your blood pressure, but you are under considerably more risk crossing a rural road than you are from any radiation exposure from Japan.

If you want to get your jollies over this, knock yourself out. To promote it to people who may not know any better is the sad thing. ATS: "Deny Ignorance" Well, now is the time.

Actually, I thought how some mountains keep it dry in area's and how it keeps moisture from from going in off the coast. Thus far, keeping it dry. Now, it might effect on some of the radiation from making it over the mountains...? Now, Im not saying it will, but just might be possable....?

Mountains effects

Some parts of Atacama Desert, especially, surroundings of the abandoned Yungay town[10] (in Antofagasta Region, Chile) are arguably the driest places on Earth,[11] and are virtually sterile because they are blocked from moisture on both sides by the Andes mountains and by the Chilean Coast Range. A coastal inversion layer created by the cold Humboldt Current and the anticyclone of the Pacific is essential to keeping the climate of the Atacama dry.

Thanx, VV6

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

Any questions?

I would say the opposite. NO ONE in America is going to "get sick" or have "deformed children" over this Japanese radiation. You're making predictions, so so am I. The radiation level in California right now is 30 See here. It changes every few seconds, so you'd better run and hide.

But wait! The radiation level in Denver is 90! So quit being Chicken Little and get a grip here.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Harry,I give you a Star for that! I did need a laugh!

On a serious note,there are those on ATS,who are taking this,with a grain of salt. I am not one of them,because of the health implications,for those in Japan,and those around the world. We also have the financial implications,of this disaster,which will happen if they miraculously solve this problem,or not. Nothing wrong with preparing.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

To answer your first question - "KI" stands for Potassium Iodide. It's the stuff that's been selling out all over the world this last week. Google search that to learn about what it does & doesn't do.

A great way to learn about this stuff is to use the "SEARCH" feature on ATS at the above right along the tool bar.

Search for "radiation" and "survival".

You'll find threads like:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just to name a few. Search the web & Youtube. This stuff is complicated and I just started learning about it 1 week ago. It takes hours and hours of reading and watching. I had to create a spreadsheet just to calculate all the different units of measure on radiation being reported.

Good luck!

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: add URL

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I am not choosing any sides here, like I said I'm a little concerned. but what I am more concerned with is that we are going through shaky times here with the Earth fish and birds are dying EVERYWHERE-or nearly everywhere for you literal people out there. You think this earthquake is the end of it? We are getting ready to go through a ride from hell as the sun erupts through its next big solar cycle, and the magnetosphere is moving around, poles are shifting. I'm worried because when it happens down the street I will grab my bag and be more prepared than most it looks like.
Think ahead, not just the now, they are predicting earthquakes and volcanoes to only intensify with increased solar activity, not calm down. So just like a movie no one needs be prepared, wait until it's too late.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Well thank you this is what we are looking for, there are hundreds of reactors around the world and many near me, and you I'm sure.
My wife is a pharmacy tech and she said it was Iodide right? Not iodine.
This definitely is all new to me, but I think we are getting some good posts here to reduce fear-being scared comes from ignorance, being prepared comes from knowledge.
Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Well thank you this is what we are looking for, there are hundreds of reactors around the world and many near me, and you I'm sure.
My wife is a pharmacy tech and she said it was Iodide right? Not iodine.
This definitely is all new to me, but I think we are getting some good posts here to reduce fear-being scared comes from ignorance, being prepared comes from knowledge.
Thanks again.

You are correct - made a typo - it's "iodide" not "iodine". If your wife's a pharmacy tech, she'll be able to tell you all about KI pills.

As for the survival - time for you to do your homework.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Ya she has said can only really be found at hospitals that have x-ray equipment, not generally local pharmacy companies. Yes what a load of info, so many terminologies.

link   
Well at least the US economy should pick up soon when all the people that are rich from selling Iodide for insane figures on ebay start spending.

link   

I understand. I have a bug-out kit for the family,and have had it for years now. I also have a spot to go,if SHTF,and fuel stored on land,far removed from from city's. Its good to be prepared,in case it does get out of control. That's not fear mongering. That's being one step ahead. There are many on ATS that are prepared,and a lot more that are not. I salute your efforts.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Perhaps I misunderstood you. I was thinking from the standpoint that the radiation was in the jetstream, which is much higher than the mountains. I do know that a mountain range can stop the weather from moving inland. That's why Seattle is wet and Spokane is dry. If the radiation is lower than the jetstream and "in the weather" I can see how your scenario would be valid.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
As another poster here mentioned earlier there is the problem of the Plutonium, which doesn't affect geiger counters much (maybe I'm wrong) but since it is so dangerous as the previous poster mentioned- an plutonium particle embedded in the lungs will grow as it does not go away. Just one particle has enough lethality to potentially cause a problem months or years down the road. Anti radiation pills will NOT work with plutonium.

This is what is not being reported! They are talking about radiation levels, not the much dangerous plutonium particles!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
There's REALLY intense and strange weather going in the East Bay right now. I came out of a movie theatre where they had to turn the sound up because there was such a racket on the roof, and discovered cars with piles of what looked like snow on them (someone said it was hail, not snow, but it really, really looks like snow). That shouldn't happen here, trust me. And there are massive loud gusts and blasts of hail and rain coming on and off -- clearing up totally, then returning in a loud blast. I'm trying not to be freaked out, but it's bizarre.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I went outside a few minutes ago to look at the full moon and noticed that our cats are glowing in the dark. Yep! The radiation is here in San Diego county for sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Yep their eyes glow in the dark, must be highly radioactive.
But then again are you seeing the "cats eyes" on the centreline of the highway?
Just live life to the max and stop worrying about dying, all of you hypocondriacs.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join