It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 percent of Americans don't want to get involved with Libya

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Polls show American public not sold on Libya intervention

The most striking early-survey finding: A whopping three-quarters of Americans--74 percent--said the United States should "leave it to others" to attempt to resolve the situation in Libya, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted last week.

Similarly, a Pew Research Center poll conducted last week found that 65 percent of respondents think the United States doesn't have the responsibility to do something about the fighting in Libya, compared with 27 percent who responded that it does.

More worrying for the U.S. administration: More than three-quarters of respondents in the Pew poll (77 percent) said they oppose the United States bombing Libyan air defenses.

Similarly, according to a Fox News poll conducted March 14-16, some two-thirds of American registered voters--65 percent--oppose "the U.S. military getting involved with the situation in Libya," compared with just 25 percent who favor it.

news.yahoo.com...-container

Makes sense doesn't it? With all the spending cuts coming that help the middle class....they are wondering why in the hell we need to get involved in another country's problems when we are already engaged in 2 neverending wars that have helped bankrupt this country?

Now if only our "leaders" would listen....at least people seem to be waking up to this issue. Enough soldiers and civilians have died....not to mention the fact it's costing a fortune.
edit on 18-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

We ( Denmark ) just sendt 150 men and four F16 planes to assist with the no fly zone..
its breaking news here in Denmark right now..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Many Americans don't want us helping Japan either.

Yet they are happy to follow news of Charlie Sheen.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's all about the oil.

They don't give a damn about the people there. Gotta get that oil going again to make the Wall Street oil speculators happy.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Many Americans don't want us helping Japan either.

Yet they are happy to follow news of Charlie Sheen.

aint that the truth. kinda makes you sad to be an american xD

doesnt matter how many of us oppose to going to libya, its still going to happen until that 74% of americans get off their asses and do something.

meh i wish this was still the middle ages when someone could just go out and do some ridiculous stuff and change a whole nation...

now if one person were to do that, we would be branded as terrorists after they shoot the hell out of us.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The US is still involved in two wars in the Mideast.

Is it a wonder that the people here in the US are tired of our money and our lives being spent over in the Mideast?

Personally, if the world wants to intervene in Libya then I'm good with it but find someone else to step and take the lead.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The psychopaths strike again

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Many Americans don't want us helping Japan either. Yet they are happy to follow news of Charlie Sheen.

True...but the numbers aren't anywhere near this...and we aren't taking military action against japan either.

Charlie sheen has actually taken a back seat lately to what is going on....even still though some people are paying no attention.

Obama may destroy his re election hopes with these actions.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
60% of American marriages end within 1 year....

No one knows what they want anymore.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
75% of americans didn't want Obamacare, did the government listen then? This is about what the U.N. wants.

Our president (and I use that term loosley) only listens to the U.N..

We are inconsequential. We are insignificant. We are lowly serfs that only deserve the disdain that Emperor Obama grants us.

Such is life in Obamas' America.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
The US is still involved in two wars in the Mideast.

Is it a wonder that the people here in the US are tired of our money and our lives being spent over in the Mideast?

Personally, if the world wants to intervene in Libya then I'm good with it but find someone else to step and take the lead.

I think you'll find that the UK and France have already stepped up and taken the lead.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Oil is probably a factor, but not for Wall Street. Its for Brussels.

They don't want to be dependent on Russia for oil and gas.

Look at France, they are leading the way on this. The faster Libya is liberated, the faster the EU can give Russia the finger.
edit on 18/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: be

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

75% of americans didn't want Obamacare, did the government listen then?

Yeah, the majority wanted a public option....Obamacare is Romneycare which is corporate care.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Oil is probably a factor, but not for Wall Street. Its for Brussels. They don't want to dependent on Russia for oil and gas. Look at France, they are leading the way on this. The faster Libya is liberated, the faster the EU can give Russia the finger.

I read an article last night that BP has oil contracts with Qaddafi

here is a source:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

From the link:

BP has no production in Libya at the moment, but the company has started an exploratory drilling programme in the west of the North African nation. This work was suspended following the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, last month. Similarly, Royal Dutch Shell has an exploration programme in the country, started after sanctions were lifted in 2004.

On Wednesday last week, Shokri Ghanem, chairman of NOC, said the Libyan government would honour existing contracts with Western oil companies. "We have our contracts with them.

We will honour our commitments and I'm sure that they will honour their commitments," he said.

However, this contradicted comments by Col Gaddafi, who has said that he would shun Western oil groups, replacing them with companies from Russia, India and China.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm an American and I think that if what is reported is really happening, then we should definitely be there. I for one will not just watch innocent civilians die. But I'm not so sure that we are up to speed on what is really happening. Seems like a smoke screen to me, always does.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
74% of Americans couldn't even locate Libya on a map.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
74% of Americans couldn't even locate Libya on a map.

Whats really sad is that its probably closer to 90%.

Even worse, most Americans could care less about the fact that they don't know.
edit on 18/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: y

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I wonder how many Americans voted in the last elections. When, you people, are going to realise that the world is not your playground and that there are many more things worth living than oil? Each of your presidents MUST have a war or else will be "not worthy"?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Also, most of the pensions in Britian are tied to BP.

I don't know if other countries involved have this kind of stake in them.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DimitriosDim

Around 50% of eligible voters took part, a little over 25% put Obama in office.

Let that sink in for a bit. Yes, only about 25% of eligible voters elected the POTUS.

We havn't had 60% or higher since 1968.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join