It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopped by LAPD the other day..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So here's what happened, walking from the train station in north hollywood, ca, I was stopped by 4 LAPD officers..they came out of the car, and started asking me questions, where am I going, where do I live, that kind of thing. I ask why their stopping me, and one officer says, it's because I'm wearing a trenchcoat, and I could have a shotgun under there. Now the weather was somewhat warm; it was borderline whether I needed a coat at all, but I wore it anyway. The officer goes on to say that it wasn't a stop at all, but "consensual questioning". now, I don't know about any of you, but, when 4 cops roll up on me, I don't call that consensual. I mean, what was my alternative? running?, but I digress..anyway, I say "then I'm free to go" and he says yes, and I go on my way. your basic unwarranted "walking while black" kinda thing that LAPD does all the time, so I should just let it go, right?

except for a couple strange conincidences.

Any of you who "know" me from the board know I'm an actor. On this particular day, I was coming back from a meeting in beverly hills with my theatrical agent. I'm not driving right now, so I actually took the train/bus..and I got to that part of town a little early. the Dr.'s office where I get my contact lenses is nearby, so I stop in and get some..I get a snack..(I'm on wilshire blvd). now, there's a big-5 sporting goods right on the L.A./beverly hills border. I still got some time, so I go in. walk around, etc. I notice that they have a gun rack. I go over and take a look, as I thought they only sold airsoft guns, but they have some real rifles..and shotguns. I look 'em over, then take off for my meeting.
The meeting contents i won't bore you with, except for one part. Apparently they're making a film about the boxer marvin hagler(who I look like) and my agent was keen on getting me in for it once it's greenlit. we talk about him and his career etc. anyways, meeting over, and I head back to north hollywood where I(unbeknownst to me) am about to encounter those officers, but something happened about 5 mins before those cops approached me. A guy, white, 30's, looking somewhat homeless, approached me, looked me right in the eyes, and started talking to me about..

Marvin hagler. he recited his lifetime record, and goes into this whole spiel about him. I tell him to back off, he looks crazy, etc. and a few minutes later, the stop happens. this is what I'm getting at: I haven't mentioned marvin hagler's name in years, but here's my agent talking about him, and here's a guy out of nowhere coming up to me just before the stop, talking about him. that guy was not "industry" he looked like a reject from a mental hospital. he approached me like he knew who I was. and during the stop, the cops specifically mentioned my having a shotgun, when I had just looked at a few shotguns at that store in beverly hills. Now, am I paranoid? or is there something else happening here? the chances of these things being referenced in such a manner, without having some relation, strikes me as damn low. Is it possible I'm under surveillance?

edit on 18-3-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
4 officers come out of one car?

What movie were you filming?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonseeker

Interesting.

The Hagler thing is a bit of a crazy coincidence, but if your agent is right about you looking like him, then that could have set off the homeless guy. I once had some random dude talk to be for 20 minutes about Alan Richman and the movie Robin Hood, because I had vague resemblence to the Sherriff of Nottingham at the time.

Now the interrogation so soon after checking out the shotguns . . . that's a wee bit more ominous.

Of course, the logistics of them hunting down and "consensually" interrogating everyone who looks at weaponry in the city of Los Angeles is a bit on the mind-boggling side. Still, the combination of attire and skin color could have been enough to raise some flags.

On the bat-guano end of the possibility spectrum, a little facial recognition software could have had you cross referenced with your IP Address in the Big Database and your ATS affiliation could have been crunched through the numbers and led your run in with the local constabulary.

We need people to report these coincididental encounters when we can. After all, once is happenstance; twice, coincidence; three times, a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

lol. no it was real. 4 cops is unusual, I agree. I called the noho station and was told that they might be task force.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Its common in LA for the cops to ride 3-4 to a car, park it, and hop out on foot. Any time Im around Staples Center, or LA Live, I see them do it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
hmmmmm an actor who looks like marvin hagler? if i had my guess id say you are charlie murphy! lol jk dont get mad at me just needed to guess. but those seem like a pretty werd set of syncronistic events. added the fact that you are an actor who may or may not frequent this site, the chance you are being followed isnt out of the question. i have heard of other members being questioned or worse, not sure how true or not they are but something to keep in mind. if i were you i would write this information down and put it somewhere where somebody close to you could find it and try to notice any more strange occurances. that way at least someone would have a clue of what, if something was to happen, happened. theres no real reason for all four police officers to stop you, ask you if you have a shotgun, then let you go without any real reason other than you were wearing a trench coat. unless they were four asshole cops wich isnt at all out of the question. but then again i live in a more northern climate and trench coats arent that rare. hope all goes well for you.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

actually, the cop I spoke to at noho station said it was more common for 1-2 officers to be in a car. to him, 4 meant a task force, which is why he mentioned it. staples center is a different deal, I think.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

How many cars did the cops roll up in? To me the whole situation is pretty wacked. The reason I ask about the number of cars.. is they will always use safety in numbers when there is a possible weapon. 4 cars (1 per officer) would seem a little strange. but say, 2 officers in each car, 2 cars responding. I think that would be fairly normal to a possible weapon situation. If they were all in one car, they were a task force for sure. Is there a lot of gang or drug activity in the area? Did you do anything else to attract attention to yourself, or was it just a WWBIATC (walking while black in a trench coat) thing?

edit on 18-3-2011 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vizzle

How many cars did the cops roll up in? To me the whole situation is pretty wacked. The reason I ask about the number of cars.. is they will always use safety in numbers when there is a possible weapon. 4 cars (1 per officer) would seem a little strange. but say, 2 officers in each car, 2 cars responding. I think that would be fairly normal to a possible weapon situation. Did you do anything else to attract attention to yourself, or was it just a WWBIATC (walking while black in a trench coat) thing?

all 4 were in one car. and, nope I was just walking normally. nothing out of the ordinary at all. there is a lot of gang activity in the area, but it's hispanic gangs, not black. tell ya what, I'm going to go over to noho division in person. this whole thing just doesn't seem right.and I do NOT believe in coincidences..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My first thought- What are you up to that LAPD would be utilizing scarce resources to monitor your activities? If you are not up to anything more than posting on ATS and wearing Columbine-inspired clothing, then my guess is that it was a random stop and a coincidence or two.

I had a guy in a bar about 25ish years ago who was convinced I was Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Was throwing out stats and asking me questions, finally, I took off my jacket and showed the guy a tattoo on my arm that would be obvious when a fighter was in the ring and that convinced him that I was not lying...lol...I thought I was gonna have to knock him out to prove I'm not a boxer... ;-)

Edit- Duh, it just occurred to me that you are obviously black. So, a black man in LA wearing a trenchcoat gets stopped by LAPD and you are surprised by that? OK. Yes, it is wrong, but it is what it is.
edit on 18-3-2011 by DragonTattooz because: Lack of reading comprehension skillz.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Synchronicity, when the universe winks at you. Same sort of thing happens to me on a regular basis. I hear a word and read it in the next sentence--that sort of thing. It appears most often when I'm in a contemplative mood. I don't think you are being watched by cops. The universe is trying to tell you to pay attention and is giving you little hints.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
My first thought- What are you up to that LAPD would be utilizing scarce resources to monitor your activities? If you are not up to anything more than posting on ATS and wearing Columbine-inspired clothing, then my guess is that it was a random stop and a coincidence or two.

I had a guy in a bar about 25ish years ago who was convinced I was Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Was throwing out stats and asking me questions, finally, I took off my jacket and showed the guy a tattoo on my arm that would be obvious when a fighter was in the ring and that convinced him that I was not lying...lol...I thought I was gonna have to knock him out to prove I'm not a boxer... ;-)

why suspect I'm "up to" anything, and, my god, columbine, really??

also, yeah, I'm black, and I should be able to wear a trenchcoat if I want, pal. that's no reason for cops to break my balls over it. I don't subscribe to the whole idea that I should allow myself to be treated like a criminal because of my skin color, and just accept it nad move on. I don't understand why anyone WOULD just accept that. I get the feeling that you wouldn't, so why should I??

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Most likely. Just saying its not completely foreign for them to be rolling 4 to a car. I despise the North Hollywood division though. Ive never had a decent encounter with them. Metro, Rampart, Foothill, 77th, are the exact opposite. Ive only had pleasant encounters, and they seemed to be pretty nice the whole time. North Hollywood/Valley division sucks.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

How do we know you're an actor? Have you acted in any tv series, movies or popular commercial(s), soap opera? etc etc ?

Cops can be weird at times. Especially in LA.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I think you took the "spirit" of my message wrong. Re-read it and picture me as a friend as opposed to an enemy. Of course it is wrong to pre-judge anybody, but we all do it and it is just human nature.

My "Columbine" comment was coming from the cops perspective, not mine. I happen to think trenchcoats look cool.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

How do we know you're an actor? Have you acted in any tv series, movies or popular commercial(s), soap opera? etc etc ?

Cops can be weird at times. Especially in LA.

You're gonna have to take my word for it as far as being an actor, I'm not indentifying myself. I've been in several films,(one which won several academy awards), a bunch of indie/straight-to-video films, some TV, done commercials, voiceover work, and too many plays to count.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

I think you took the "spirit" of my message wrong. Re-read it and picture me as a friend as opposed to an enemy. Of course it is wrong to pre-judge anybody, but we all do it and it is just human nature.

My "Columbine" comment was coming from the cops perspective, not mine. I happen to think trenchcoats look cool.

understood. this thing just burns my ass, is all. all good

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You're lucky to be alive. LAPD typically shoots first then asks questions later consider yourself lucky. Next time, keep a sharper lookout for those thugs and avoid them like the plague that they are.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
anyway, I'm heading over to noho division now. I'll probably be on tomorrow to let you know what I find out(if anything).

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There could be a terrorist threat that was not posted to the public (involving a suicide bomber) and they were suspicious of you in your coat as it could hide a lot. I wouldn't read too much into it unless they didnt have a good excuse for the stop....they even felt a little guilty for the borderline infringement or the one would not have classified it as "consensual" (meaning you were not formally detained for questioning and you did not have to stop and answer) altho if you ignored them I think they might have escalated it to a more formal stop. Things could be worse,,,,,,when they stop and harrass everyone then we should be worried about a police state but in the meantime I wouldnt loose sleep over it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join