It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Finally admit leak will kill people...head of plant breaks down in tears

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kathael
Yeah, I had just post this on another thread... terribly sad. WTF took them so long? Saving face is a terrible excuse..

While I partly agree with this statement, I've just gotta add that you try being the manager for that nuclear plant. It's easy to just speak freely when you're not. You have the whole world looking at you and you try your damnest to do all you can to get it under control, the whole situation inflated beyond belief for rating by News stations, and you think you could actually admit right off the bat that it can kill people? They'd have more bad rap then they do now because other people from other countries across the globe would be raging at them 'fix it, fix it now!' which would add unneeded pressure onto them. It's easy to ask WTF took them so long while you comfortably sit down and watch TV at the inflated issue while they work their damnest to keep it under control as the media just feeds the fire.

Japanese are honorable people and that had to be said. It's not negligence, it's about keeping the ones sitting comfortably watching the situation from rioting because they feel they could do a better job. There's a phrase for that. 'You can talk the talk, but until you walk the walk..'

And on a final note.. If by chance someone knows the manager there, let him know he at least has my condolences as someone even living on the west coast of Canada while we get hammered with 'Oh god radiation is coming to us..' Thank you, thank you for all you've done as well as all others out there doing what they're doing under VERY heavy scrutiny from many 'comfortable' people who think it's as easy as snapping fingers. If I could be there to help in any way, I would.

edit on 18-3-2011 by OneLife because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2011 by OneLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

How about spewing radiation out for 200 years. California has never had any kind of problem even close to this. Cher played the part of the women in the 3 Mile Island Event and she was killed for telling. Every American needs to go rent that movie. I am glad you feel very secure and trust what you hear, But Radiation can kill years later when it is too late to do anything about it. The government knows this just like at 3 Mile Island.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

When something better appears i'll agree with you happily.

As long as the alternatives are burning irreplaceable fossil fuels I wont.

Keeping an eye on Polywell Fusion.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Very sad for japan, i love those people. I'm gonna have to adopt a few even though I don't have much space.

You say that like they're pets
edit on 18-3-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Free energy and renewable energy should be a priority around the world.

Sadly, we're all stuck on the same 'ol energy paradigm, which obviously isn't working.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
What worries me most about current nuclear technology is the waste. If I understand correctly, nuclear waste remains dangerous for well over 25,000 years? The logistics of keeping something like that safely contained for millenia are mind blowing.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Free energy is a dodgy term. It conjures up images of snake oil and perpetual motion machines.

I agree with you though that we have gone down a lot of blind alleys over the last 50 years for reasons other than engineering.

Whats needed is something that extracts energy from an effectively limitless source, makes no waste and is fail safe. Thats what Polywell fusion promises. It violates no laws and operates within the bounds of conventional physics. Somebody need to pressurise the US Navy to make public the research they are paying for.

This is entirely different to the Fusion of the ITER project. I doubt that will ever pay off.

Renewables are a useful adjunct but not a replacement for either fossil fuels or nuclear. I wish they were but its not practical.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

If the top of the scale for an earthquake is 9.0,why not build something,as fragile a Nuclear Reactor is,to withstand,say 18.0?

The lower the standards the cheaper the costs.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by richaado

There was a time when they would push a sword into their own bellies instead of crying in front of a bunch of cameras.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Too bad he didnt do that to make your day a little merrier and to keep your image of the Japanese pristine.

Perhaps you should write him and tell him how disappointed you were he didnt commit suicide.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It is alleged that the individual in the now popular photo stated "let the Japan National Defense Forces and the US Military assume complete control of the problem". Unfortunately I cannot source this I am trying to find the original transcript from today's press conference. If that's true, he's an ass. Failure is not an option, they should have accounted for this type of disaster and planned accordingly. Thankfully the 50 or so left at the plant are doing what they can and are the only thing standing between a nightmare and some degree of control. That's all hindsight now, but I have no sympathy in fact more anger if the previous statement holds true.

Where the hell is the IAEA in all this ?

brill
edit on 18-3-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
all you people telling everyone not to worry or do anything in preparation seriously need to just STFU, honestly. We already have our puppet president saying this on TV, we don't need any more idiots to downplay the situation.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to prepare and take proactive actions to protect themselves in a time like this. You people on here telling everyone not to do anything are just as bad as the ones claiming its going to be a deadly cloud of radiation. I am not saying either, all I am saying is I would advise following this statement "always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." Hey if nothing happens...you spent a few hundred bucks on a Geiger counter and some potassium iodide pills, so be it...those pills should probably still be good for when WW III starts.

All that we know so far is disinformation besides the fact that there is a meltdown taking place at the world's largest and most powerful nuclear power plant in the world. it took 5 days for the plant chief to admit this is serious. It's always better to be safe than sorry. People SHOULD prepare.I would not worry, until the time comes, if it does. In this world of cover ups, disinformation and brainwashing the common people usually never find anything out until its too late. Trust yourself and make an educated decision from the small amount of facts you have been presented with.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by VeniVidi

Too bad he didnt do that to make your day a little merrier and to keep your image of the Japanese pristine.

Perhaps you should write him and tell him how disappointed you were he didnt commit suicide.

I was merely stating a point of fact. Not advocating it. But thanks for attempting to read my mind.
But perhaps those that might have escaped the radiation damage that they will surely suffer may want to send this guy an e-mail.
edit on 3/18/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creatrix1

Originally posted by inthemass
reply to post by nrd101

I'm in So. Cal and i've been thinking about purchasing a Geiger Counter. It would be worth the money IMO. Let's hope it doesn't get any worse....
edit on 18-3-2011 by inthemass because: (no reason given)

Yesterday I found this site:
www.radiationnetwork.com...
showing radiation levels in the States, automatically updating.

i just checked this link and there is a level of 80 CPM in Denver.. that is extremely high compared to the rest of the country.

Is that normal?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by djtek
Hey if nothing happens...you spent a few hundred bucks on a Geiger counter and some potassium iodide pills, so be it...

I recall reading a commentary on this. Would most people be able to accurately interpret the information/results as presented by a Geiger counter. The data could easily be misunderstood and needless panic or uncertainty ensues. i guess this could go either way, but something to think about it.

brill

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by djtek

In reply to this, the only people that need to worry are the Japanese as they were not only hit with an earthquake and tsunami but a nuclear plant that broke down. Now if they were left to their own devices, they could work HARD to pound out a solution as they're damn good people. But you have the whole world, the entire globe watching the situation at every little move and one mistake, one (which are always natural) and the people comfortably sitting and eating with no stress levels to match theirs watch, would rage because the possibility of a little change in their life.

This whole scenario is beefed up and filled with 'fat' to be so extraordinarily dangerous because it gives them ratings. It sells. They know how to market VERY well. They make extraordinary claims and they have many influenced because it's so easy to fear. If I'm dead or mutated soon enough (as I live on the west coast) you can have the last laugh, but I'm willing to bet no one needs to worry about this scenario that is not in Japan and having to deal with the lash back of Earth as a whole.

Fear sells. It's much easier to think up destruction and chaos then it is a well balanced life ain't it? I'm merely just trying to point out that it's much, much easier to sit there and think 'those fellas are trying to kill us' then to be the boss of the plant and have to come outright in front of a camera to the world and say how bad the world is, knowing full well that a lot of the world, America being the number one of them, is to comfortable. Any little change at all in their comfortability and they go ape# demanding it be fixed at once like it was as easy as the snap of fingers.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There were I'm sure a lot of people (TEPCO/Japanese Gov., US Gov. and probably others) involved in the cover up/lies that went on and I personally hold them responsible. They sealed the fates of many people and probably more to come. TEPCO falsified safety reports and also somehow managed to convince the people and Gov. it was safe to build these plants in a unsafe area and not up to par with the regions natural disaster history! I would cry to if it was me responsible...I hope they are all held accountable and I hope a major international group of experts versed with not only nuclear tech but natural disasters go around the world and rule on all plants everywhere. If a 9.0 is on the scale then it should be made to withstand much more if tsunamis could hit it it should be made to weather that as well. It's like building one in Tornado alley and hoping a tornado bigger than the likes of what we know hits it your screwed if it does...better safe than sorry not better paid then sorry. I feel for all that have and will be affected by this farce but before those responsible can be held accountable this needs to be taken care of first and like someone else said by an international group that has no reason for bias. This whole thing could have been avoided in so many ways! It makes me mad beyond belief to see people take up for those responsible! What would your opinion be if it was your backyard or even your family there now. I would be livid that someone could have and should have done their job and held up their word with all of this from the truth about the situation even if it was I don't know to it's safe here. I mean come on guys think about it...

edit on 18-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

It affects us all in the world and it should have never happened in the first place. So yes the world is watching and worrying come on I mean really. Its not like the problem stops at the edge of the island!

ETA: If you end up with cancer from sea food outta the pacific or any of the other ways this will make it to us all I bet your tune will change!
edit on 18-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

The picture, as it says in the OPs link, is of severe damage to reactor four and the green crane usually removes spent rods. It is inoperational, not removing spent rods, and the pool the spent rods go in has dried up. The rods are heating up and releasing radiation. Ummmm...not good.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Did the CEO of BP breakdown and cry with remorse of the deaths (humans, animals, and ecology) his company caused through inaction and the spraying of poisons? Or at the very least admit to the real damage done? No, not to my knowledge. When three mile island mishap occurred did it's CEO react this way? No, not to my knowledge.

The situation is unbelievably devastating but at least he's not continuing to participate in misleading (i.e lying) to his people, he came clean. As Americans we're not use to seeing CEOs doing what he did so at the very least he still has his humanity intact.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Chai_An because: after thought

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join