It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Finally admit leak will kill people...head of plant breaks down in tears

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Nothing is safe. Feel better?

Because that is the truth. Nothing is safe. You can walk out door this after noon and get hit by a car. You are going to die, and no one can prevent that. You can try to control the world all you want......................and you are still going to die.

# happens. No one can protect you from every eventuality. All people can do is make their best judgments based on what we know, and lets face it, human beings really dont know that much.

Thanks for those deep thoughts IAG! Your macho puffery and arrogance cannot disguise the fact that nuclear power is dangerous. There are approximately 40 million people in the Tokyo metro area that are praying the wind keeps blowing east. Do you get it yet? These plants should never have been built!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Think about the size of those reactors. And now envision how much material will be needed to entomb it. That all has to get there, plus the heavy equipment, the manpower, the food and fuel and shelter for the man power and equipment.

You have to mobilize all of that when roads arent always easy to pass its just not as easy as it might sound.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is why countries like Iran never should lay their hands on nuclear stuff, I personally cannot imagine a catasrophy like this happening in Iran. At least japaneese people are professionals. This nuke tech should be avoided once and for all.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So at last the ugly truth of this matter has finally come to light

well now at least it may be possible to deal with the real truth of this situation

as it is absolutely impossible to deal with lies .....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghosthunter
reply to post by inthemass

Yes, definitely buy a counter. You're going to need it, it's now essential for everyone that lives in California.

sure...right away...chicken little. if you go to a ski resort and spend all day there, the sun will pour more radiation on you than what is coming over from japan. everybody needs to get a grip on reality.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Originally posted by Bachrk
If anyone needs a temp place to stay and can or have made it to the U.S. then you and yours are welcome to stay in our home in TN.

Their are million of homeless people in the USA
i'm sure you could invite them for help//
I love this *YOU CAN COME STAY WITH ME*
BS when you know NO ONE IN JAPAN is
going to be able or probably even WANT to stay with you..
If it makes you feel better..

This is about a HUGE COVER UP the Japanese Government
is responsible for you see that guy crying? He has money,
he will be fine, but the people your saying that can stay in your house
are either dead already or in a Japanese shelter.

THANKS BUT NO THANKS!
edit on 18-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

Excuse me but I have family who have lived there for at least 20yrs and are making their way here. I consider your comment rude and full of BS. Grow up. I'd hate to have an attitude like yours. You'd rather bitch about what should have been done and who's to blame. What's done is done. I don't care about the crying man. He was part of the problem.

Oh and btw we have hosted many homeless people and animals over the years right here in our home IN THE USA. People help people. Anyone who shows up at my door will be helped, damn straight .

edit on 18-3-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I feel sorry for Japaneese people, this seriously is a huge disaster, first 9.0 eq then tsunami, then this. Its easy to critisize while sitting on our buds at our warm houses, heres alway two sides to every story. God help them all. My heart aches when I follow this from tv and net.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Tell me. How many people have died securing oil, including the wars to stabilize the oil bearing regions, refinery disasters, oil drilling disasters, pollution, etc., compared to how many people who have died because of accidents in nuclear reactors?

I know that was directed at Leo Strauss, and in a way, so is this.

Not counting people who die in wars over oil, but the stats provided in the following link very closely approximate what I've read in the past in various places.

Deaths Per Terawatt Hour for All Energy Sources

Energy Source - Death Rate (deaths per TWh)

Coal – world average 161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity)
Coal – China 278
Coal – USA 15
Oil 36 (36% of world energy)
Natural Gas 4 (21% of world energy)
Biofuel/Biomass 12
Peat 12
Solar (rooftop) 0.44 (less than 0.1% of world energy)
Wind 0.15 (less than 1% of world energy)
Hydro 0.10 (europe death rate, 2.2% of world energy)
Hydro - world including Banqiao) 1.4 (about 2500 TWh/yr and 171,000 Banqiao dead)
Nuclear 0.04 (5.9% of world energy)

tl;dr: Nuclear kills fewer people than wind turbines.

I'm not sure which universe equates fewer deaths with increased danger, but...well, in that universe yeah, nuclear is super duper unsafe.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

How does your life run Harrytuttle? You have every contingency planned for?

You arent worth the pixels on the screen it takes to reply to you. You are just a big bluster bag, bragging how much better you could have done.

Anyone can pretend they could do better after the fact. Why arent you sharing your genius with the world by making sure these disasters never happen? Clearly, you have the foresight of a god. Right? Wrong.

Because you dont see them coming either. You just like to kick people while they are down to make yourself feel smart and important.

And for the "nuclear energy is horribly unsafe" crowd. It is risky. Everything is. You have to weigh the costs against the benefits and choose that way. You dont just avoid risk because it is risk, because everything has risk. Im sorry I am not joining your little "oh noes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are all going to die of radiation and its all the evil stupid Japanese peoples fault!!" bandwagon.

I just dont feel the way you do. I think this is a horrible tragedy, and I think that we should get it under control before we all start flinging poo like a bunch of nasty little monkeys, There will be time for INTELLIGENT (not hysterical and reactionary) analysis of what went wrong and what could have been done differently when the emergency situation is over. Throwing blame bombs never solved any problems.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

Thank you for that. Its nice to see it in perspective. And while I am sure this latest tragedy may raise those numbers, it does make you wonder why people arent screaming about the dangers of coal.

Edit to add,

And I seriously doubt they include in those oil figures all the people we kill just to get access to the oil. That would require a level of political honesty we really dont ever see.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthemass
reply to post by Vandalour

Exposed: this shots shows a gaping hole in the building of reactor number four. The green crane, circled, is normally used to move spent fuel rods into a 45ft deep storage pond, just out of shot. But the pool has now boiled dry and the spent rods are heating up and releasing radiation

This is a sad picture.

Overwhelmed: Tokyo Electric Power Company Managing Director Akio Komiri cries as he leaves after a press conference in Fukushima

This picture says it all for me...

I feels so sorry for the poor Japanese people.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

So nuclear is safe? Is that what you are saying? Well then just say it loud and proud! Well don't just imply it is safe with your statistics.

Tell the Japanese people it is safe...go ahead! It is only responsible for .0000000000000000000001 of all energy related deaths right??? Japan I'm sorry excuse me you have nothing to be afraid of...what's all this fuss about??

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

So nuclear is safe? Is that what you are saying? Well then just say it loud and proud! Well don't just imply it is safe with your statistics.

Tell the Japanese people it is safe...go ahead! It is only responsible for .0000000000000000000001 of all energy related deaths right??? Japan I'm sorry excuse me you have nothing to be afraid of...what's all this fuss about??

Ask is she Joins, to tell the japanese people

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I'm not attacking you, why are you attacking me? Please stay on topic, don't make this about me.

I've backed up my opinions about the poor design by the link I provided to the IEEE. You could pay attention to that, or you could attack me.

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
The people battling to cool the reactor and rods are already losing their lives. It says 4 have already died and at least 20 were injured. About 200 are involved, not 50. Most of them are older and familiar with the plant. This is looking worse than I had hopedit would. I thought it would take longer for the water that submerges the spent rods to go down, but apparently damage done to the pools may have leaked some out. Bad situation.

I don't see how they expect not to dump cement all over it. It's a death sentence already.

Dumping sand and cement was the final solution at Chernobyl. I just heard on a news cast that it would take mixing boron into the sand and cement in order to neutralize the rods and prevent overheating and thus, a chain reaction. If they are able to implement cooling with water that still appears to be the preferred method. Has there been any word on what effect the water cannons are having? Have they been implemented as was being discussed a couple of days ago?

Thoughts and prayers for the brave workers at the reactors and their families.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You are right, you arent attacking me. You are attacking in a tasteless and nasty fashion people who are suffering over there right now. Are you claiming a moral high ground because the people you are kicking in the teeth arent posting on this board? Because if you are, let me tell you, you arent on a moral high ground. Im ashamed of you as a human being for your mean spiritedness and lack of compassion.

Its not all about me. If you were attacking me, it probably would not piss me off even half as much as watching some bully kicking people while they are at their lowest. Seeing you mock the guy crying disgusts me.

Let them get their disasters under control before you decide you know whose fault it all is and whom you have the right to lynch verbally.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's a terrible situation, I wish they didn't have to catch all of this flak for not being honest from the get-go, but that's how it all plays out.

Akio Komiri should not be demonized however. For all the big talk, I don't think any of us could handle this situation exactly how we say we would. He was probably getting orders from the top, maybe even false reports himself, on top of not wanting to cause severe panic.It shows he's sincerely regretful and human by the fact he broke down and he'll live with his actions for the rest of his life.
The last thing we need is a bunch of internet commandos calling for blood or treating him like the Anti-Christ. People should be unified in combating this issue, and not divided over he said/she said bs or talking about how their better than trained professionals and could handle themselves better.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is why we need to abandon nuclear energy as it stands today! It's too dangerous and can seriously muck things up! It's time we take in mind the alternatives, like Thorium.

My heart goes out to the Japanese people. They've been hit harder then any of us. Earthquakes, tsunami's and now nuclear woes.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nithaiah

Tell me. How many people have died securing oil, including the wars to stabilize the oil bearing regions, refinery disasters, oil drilling disasters, pollution, etc., compared to how many people who have died because of accidents in nuclear reactors?

I know that was directed at Leo Strauss, and in a way, so is this.

Not counting people who die in wars over oil, but the stats provided in the following link very closely approximate what I've read in the past in various places.

Deaths Per Terawatt Hour for All Energy Sources

Energy Source - Death Rate (deaths per TWh)

Coal – world average 161 (26% of world energy, 50% of electricity)
Coal – China 278
Coal – USA 15
Oil 36 (36% of world energy)
Natural Gas 4 (21% of world energy)
Biofuel/Biomass 12
Peat 12
Solar (rooftop) 0.44 (less than 0.1% of world energy)
Wind 0.15 (less than 1% of world energy)
Hydro 0.10 (europe death rate, 2.2% of world energy)
Hydro - world including Banqiao) 1.4 (about 2500 TWh/yr and 171,000 Banqiao dead)
Nuclear 0.04 (5.9% of world energy)

tl;dr: Nuclear kills fewer people than wind turbines.

I'm not sure which universe equates fewer deaths with increased danger, but...well, in that universe yeah, nuclear is super duper unsafe.

You forgot how many cities each energy source killed, so far nuclear power is at the top killing one whole city, maybe two consider Sendai or even more...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
This is why we need to abandon nuclear energy as it stands today! It's too dangerous and can seriously muck things up! It's time we take in mind the alternatives, like Thorium.

My heart goes out to the Japanese people. They've been hit harder then any of us. Earthquakes, tsunami's and now nuclear woes.

We don't need to abandon nuclear energy, we just need to rethink how we make nuclear energy. Building all nuclear power plants underground would be a good start.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join