It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Finally admit leak will kill people...head of plant breaks down in tears

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
I can't help but feel very bad for this man. He must feel like the whole world is blaming him.

well wikileaks posted a story about Japan's
Nuclear Program taking short cuts to safety
procedures last year. There is an article on ATS
about it but I don't have that url off hand.
So if they had safety hazards that were not
addressed and thousands die, would he not
be responsible ??? Clustering nuclear reactors
together was frowned upon as being dangerous
even before they were built. just sayin

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by WJjeeper

How about spewing radiation out for 200 years. California has never had any kind of problem even close to this. Cher played the part of the women in the 3 Mile Island Event and she was killed for telling. Every American needs to go rent that movie. I am glad you feel very secure and trust what you hear, But Radiation can kill years later when it is too late to do anything about it. The government knows this just like at 3 Mile Island.

The movie Silkwood was not based on TMI event. It was a story based on real life at a plutonium processing plant not a nuclear reactor. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by Flighty

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by theghosthunter
reply to post by inthemass

Yes, definitely buy a counter. You're going to need it, it's now essential for everyone that lives in California.

sure...right away...chicken little. if you go to a ski resort and spend all day there, the sun will pour more radiation on you than what is coming over from japan. everybody needs to get a grip on reality.

It was just the other day we were told over and over again that it won't reach America at all.
So please don't tell people they are over reacting. Who is to know what's coming next in this disaster?
There has already been too many lies and downplaying done already to expect people to believe that things are going to "fine".
They NEVER said it would not reach America but they have said over and over again that the amounts are not enough to worry about . So stop worrying. Dont spread fear and ignorance.

Either way i would like to have a Geiger Counter. I'm not trying to "spread fear and ignorance". At this point i'm not worried, although it seems people think that the worst is over... I'd rather be prepared just in case. It's only a few hundred dollars, so it's not a big deal either way. If the radiation doesn't make it here awesome, if it does at least i'm prepared.

Peace.

edit on 19-3-2011 by inthemass because: Og

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Bingo

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneLife
reply to post by RickyD

Because a nuclear power plant can withstand not only an earthquake but also a tsunami because in this day and age, we can magically conjure up a ideas on how to make stuff fortified from nature and no mistakes happen right? You make it seem as though it's easy to have predicted this before hand. If it was so easy, where were you being so vocal about recommending a better way they make that plant more 'damage proof' when it was being built?

You watch it because you worry out of fear some radiation is going to head on over your way and make your life a little bit uncomfortable. The media is beefing the entire situation up to make it seem like people are going to become a little uncomfortable all across the globe due to this, that it's going to affect the whole world, just so they can get their ratings. Did Chernobyl kill off the entire globe due to that ever so harmful radioactive cloud that swept wherever it went? Life is still thriving and will continue to. The Japanese do not need a camera shoved up their ass and in their shelters while they try to fix it. With a camera on them at all times, they get nervous and are prone to not doing a few things because the MASS consciousness thinks they can do better when in fact they only think they can, they actually can't.

If the media gets out, they can work more freely without being pushed into a corner by the mass consciousness while they expect them to work magic to fix the situation.

Life is still thriving: Here is Chernoble today 25 years after the disaster. Does this look like thriving life to you?

villageofjoy.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

Arigatou. It was off the cuff but motivated by outrage at what has been allowed to take place. Populations everywhere deserve far better from their governments, don't they? The catastrophe for Japan is nothing short of an apocalypse. But outside of Japan there are so many people not seeing the big picture here and how it will impact on their lives economically directly from the disaster befallen the world's number 3 economy, and potentially in the future when the same events occur in their own country and their own nuclear plants are hit similarly by natural or even man made events. The truth is the industry that builds these power plants has no solutions at all when disaster of this sort strikes. Their industry is motivated solely by greed. It is pathetically sad, and will ultimately provoke great public anger.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98
About these radiation screening in the U.S From flights originating in Japan. Homeland security has people screening passengers from these flight from Japan with hand held detectors to include cargo. a few people were detected at Chicago today.

Japan radiation sets off O'Hare airport alarms CBS News

My questions is . Our government is telling U.S Citizens that the radiation levels are low and not harmful ,nothing to worry about. Then why all the additional personal with scanners at airports in the U.S. if it's nothing to worry about. ?

No statement as to the readings form these scanners at the airports when a detection is made. and where they take the people too after they have been detected. ?

Now we all remember our president said yesterday "The level of radiation is low. "We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the United States"

hmmmmm.

edit on 19-3-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

Perhaps screening those arriving from Japan will give us a better idea about just how much radation is in Japan. I imagine that if they find people with elevated levels of radation they will alert them and clean up what they can and perhaps medicate them against absorbtion of those materials.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

I'm not so sure a 6.1 is something that a week later can be called an aftershock. Seems like they are new quakes. Since when do we call a 6.1 a week later an aftershock? Now I may be wrong here but this is how I feel about it!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by esdad71

Well at least we know they care..

Even if they were lieing. And obviously lieing.

I wonder if it was really lying so much as it was denial. Who would really want to admit that it was really happening. We may never know. Personally I'm just for it to turn out as good as it can.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Chindogu

Just try to think about the stress of the situation.It gives me a headache thinking about it. I have a stressful job but if I do not get my job done correctly it does not mean a piece of land will glow in the dark for the next 80 years. I have no malice towards the brave men and women who were in charge and tried to keep this under control but as always, as most disasters before this, it was the politics or transparency in information about safety or construction . Every minute that ticked by let that man in charge of that plant now that another person would likely die...that another generation would deal with the lasting effect of this disaster...and the next generation...and the next.

What is crazier, is that it is not in the MSM at all. Nothing. Those poor old people...I want to take a few in.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I love how the American media continues to go on and on about whether or not the Japanese government is telling the truth and the whole story. Just when was the last time the U.S. government told the whole story? Remember the "we are going to Iraq to get rid of weapons of mass destruction".

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tampagr
I love how the American media continues to go on and on about whether or not the Japanese government is telling the truth and the whole story. Just when was the last time the U.S. government told the whole story? Remember the "we are going to Iraq to get rid of weapons of mass destruction".

Good point. My advice is to completely give up on trusting any media source outright, especially the American media. But you probably already know that. I'm just a bit frustrated by the extreme hypocrisy myself. Geez, this is a mess. Seriously. This is a bad, bad problem, and getting worse.

First I see the power company executive crying after admitting that the radiation is enough to kill people, and a few minutes ago on NHK they showed one of the fire chiefs at a press conference, and HE almost started crying when he was commenting on the bravery of his men going into the reactor areas.

For a Japanese in a position of authority to get that emotional on television, wow, that is something unique and ominous. In their culture, it's a really big deal.

The entire area of eastern Japan is currently at great risk.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Yeah but Karen your not taking into consideration the permanent damage done to their DNA that will passed down the generations. It doesn't stop in the here and now.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately I do think there is a lesson to be learned from this incident, simply that building nuclear power plants in areas that are susceptible to the threat of severe natural disasters is very unwise. I had no idea that there are several such plants in the far western states of the US; makes me wonder what will happen when the Big One strikes California. Part of the problem is that quakes with a magnitude greater than 9 are very, very rare (thankfully) but they do happen. So most structures simply aren't built (even in heavy seismic zones) to withstand such a powerful quake. That's enough power to topple even buildings that are supposedly "earthquake proof". Or, sort of like building something to withstand a category 3 hurricane and then you get a category 5.

Granted, the problem in Japan was caused by the tsunami more so than the earthquakes themselves, but again, building anything right on the coast in an area with a long history of such disasters is asking for trouble. But, I guess that 35 or 40 years ago people just didn't think to expect the unexpected.

The other problem is of course the clean up. I just found this three mile island - I had no idea that it took twelve years to clean up Three Mile Island - and that was just one reactor and not as bad an accident! Unfortunately it will take them a very, very long time to clean it up (unless of course they have to resort to burying it like Chernobyl).

The other bad thing is that this will also roll things back on nuclear power for a long time. We can't do coal for obvious reasons (even though we still do), we can't do oil because of BP's oil leak (and we still do that too, and sit around and talk about how bad it is and like coal, try to regulate it into extinction), now we can't do nuclear (at least not any new plants here in the US) because of the Japan incident.
We can do wind (but only where there's lots of wind, where there's enough land, where there are no people around to complain about the noise, the view, birds and bats being killed, etc, etc, etc), and we can do solar (only where there's lots of sunshine, lots of land, few people around so nobody complains about it being an eyesore), though I suppose at least we can put a bunch of those last two things in the backyards of hippies, yeah, right, they don't want that stuff to spoil their view anymore than anyone else does. That's the problem with energy - either it's dangerous (to workers, or those that live around it), it's dirty, it's inadequate and inefficient, or it's simply an eyesore that no one wants in their backyard, so to speak - or a combination of those. We all want electricity but no one wants to see windmills on the hill behind their property or see a nuclear cooling tower from where they live.
I think the best bets will probably be nuclear fusion (very different from nuclear fission, which is what goes on in a nuclear reactor) if they can ever get it to work and put out more energy than is put into it (which currently isn't the case), and ocean turbines. Two things that pose virtually no danger (though ocean turbines would have to be designed to not interfere with sea life), are clean and no one has to worry about either spoiling the view from their backyard.
-

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schrecken Licht
Unfortunately I do think there is a lesson to be learned from this incident, simply that building nuclear power plants in areas that are susceptible to the threat of severe natural disasters is very unwise. -

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

With that said, my heart and prayers continue to go out to the people of Japan. A more humble and gracious nation of people I have never known and those heartbreaking pictures of that gentleman breaking down are indicative of their humility. Whereas I, too, question why they didn't ask for help sooner, I doubt there was any type of nefarious motive behind it and with all of the disasters hitting them (and still hitting them) from every direction, who are we to cast the first stone?? Also, it was obvious to everyone with half a brain that the images we were seeing just didn't jive with their insistence that everything was "under control" This type of situation has substantial GLOBAL ramifications and although I don't know anything about what type of efforts it would take to limit this type of catastrophe, I'm curious as to why the entire international community was not rallying to intervene or help?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JRCrowley

Originally posted by woghd
This may sound extreme, but the science is sound. A small nuclear explosion, properly applied, will vaporize the entire facility, including all reactors, stopping all meltdowns. Now before you start screaming, understand that the amount of material in a warhead is miniscule to what is in just one of those troubled reactors, and the blast can be controlled to send the fallout to wherever it will do the least harm. I am speaking of a very small field-level nuke here.

If the meldowns cannot be stopped, they will spew dangerous radiation for hundreds of years. Vaporizing those rods will stop the meltdowns, and a controlled explosion will not do any more harm than has already been done. In fact the area will be quite livable very quickly. Look at what happened at chernobyl, it's still too dangerous to live there, and that was just one reactor.

One *small* nuke. The reaction stops. The fallout is sent to where WE want it to go.

Excellent idea! Blast nuclear radiation all around the world. *FACE PALM*

You say this because you clearly do not understand how a nuclear reactions works, or how controlled explosions work. But that's ok, most people know nothing of these things.

A nuclear reaction takes place because too much plutonium is in the vicinity of other plutonium. Separate the plutonium and the reaction stops. Right now that plutonium is all melted together, and needs to be cooled down and then cut apart. That's not gonna happen. Vaporizing that plutonium will separate it and stop the reaction. No more radiation.

A controlled explosion will not send "radioactivity all over the world". When they demolish buildings, do you see the rubble strewn all over the entire city? No...and just like a controlled demolition of a large building will make it collapse into its own footprint, a controlled explosion can place the fallout cloud exactly where it will do no further harm.

Finally a small, field-level nuke will not release any more radiation than has been released already. The potential radiation release from these trouble reactors could be many thousands of times what a nuke may do, and it can potentially continue for the next 200 years or so.
edit on 20-3-2011 by woghd because: mispelling lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Radiation 400x higher than normal, 40km away from the reactors, did anyone see this?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

HERE I posted a link about an observation linking birds to radiation clouds for people that do not have access to Geiger counters, and for the nay sayers I say go there also and check out the links especially the german plume measurements and french projections.

If you (nay sayers) live in california and you think for one instant that you are not being exposed to out of the ordinary doses of radiation and radio-active particulate you need to stop blindly sucking at the medias tit.

radiation exposure at any level is a crap shoot ( the first helicopter pilot to fly over Chernobyl after the disaster IS STILL ALIVE!) but the EPA says this;

There is no firm basis for setting a "safe" level of exposure above background for stochastic effects. Many sources emit radiation that is well below natural background levels. This makes it extremely difficult to isolate its stochastic effects. In setting limits, EPA makes the conservative (cautious) assumption that any increase in radiation exposure is accompanied by an increased risk of stochastic effects...However, there do appear to be threshold exposures for the various non-stochastic effects.

I applaud the weird little monkey for seeking information

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JRCrowley

Agreed , media has degenerated to such a pathetic joke that they don't even know how stupid they look naked, and I simply can't believe the hypocrisy of Ann Coulter on fox, saying how "radiation is good for you" and how the 'scientists'(nameless faceless)aren't getting airtime to express their views...puke what a great comparison between a man so emotional he's crying in public (even if guilty at least he has remorse) and a woman so disgustingly disingenuous she couldn't find human emotions with three computer geeks , google and a human sherpa to help her while she visits our planet...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join