It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto doctors use Xbox Kinect in surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Doctors at a Toronto hospital are banking on video game technology to save time and prevent contamination in the operating room.

A team at Sunnybrook Hospital has started using the Xbox Kinect, a hands-free gaming console equipped with a motion sensor, to virtually manipulate key medical images during surgery.

The doctors use hand gestures to zoom in and out of the images or freeze a particular shot without leaving the operating table.

www.citytv.com...

Now this is pretty cool.. I know that microsoft openly invited people to hack the kinect so it can be used for more than just xbox gaming, and this goes to show that it can benefit us in more ways than just having fun

Now all we're missing is tom cruise

edit on 18-3-2011 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
OH NO!! Please don't let my 3 sons see this thread...I'll never hear the end of the "why we should have an xbox 360 and kinect" arguements

On a side note, that is pretty darn cool. Although, I hope none of the surgeons are gamers and get distracted by a round of COD

Michelle

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
PS3 is still better.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

DUH! Obvious flamer is obvious.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't have the Xbox Kinect, but I have the Xbox 360 and I love it. It feels more like a gamin' platform than the PS3.
The PS3 is more of an entertainment system. Although the Xbox 360 is turnin' into something similar.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Even then I'll root for the 360. Even though the kinect is so far nothing more then a gimmick and maybe fun for people who like to work out in front of their tv's.
The ps3 is pretty much on par with 360 biggest differences are gameline-up and the online services, altough PSN is also creating their own paid services these days. Also the movie-rental service for 360 is pretty cool. great line-up there..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
PS3 is still better.

Thnak you, funniest thing ive seen for ages

On topic i have seen videos of the kinect being hacked and used for robots as their camera as it is so much cheaper than some of the cameras they were previously using and just as good in quality sorry i have no link for them.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO
Now this is pretty cool.. I know that microsoft openly invited people to hack the kinect so it can be used for more than just xbox gaming, and this goes to show that it can benefit us in more ways than just having fun
Very innovative thinking.

I also see pilots training on flight simulators using the microsoft flight simulator program. Gaming technology has spinoffs that have other applications. This is a cool one.

When are the virtual reality devices gong to catch on, like the VR headgear?

Something like this could conceivably enhance the surgeon's view the way a HUD (Heads up display) enhances a fighter pilot's view.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
THAT is just amazing. Go Microsoft for allowing open hacking of the Kinect. I thought this was really cool, there are also some really good kinect hacks out there.

www.youtube.com...

Here's the self-aware hack of the kinect, lol.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
PS3 is still better.

It's all about the gamecube, right?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Oh great, now that we humans finally know we can do this, maybe we can start to use guns to shoot food at hungry people.

top topics

join