It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a hall of shame on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I know about Skunk Works, but can there be some kind of avatar one must wear when they start threads predicting epic destruction that turn out to be completely baseless?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We have a forum dedicated to proven hoaxes. And, from the ATS Terms And Conditions Of Use...

15l.) [HOAX]: In the event you Post more than three items that are later determined to be of an obviously hoax, fraudulent, or faked nature, your account may be terminated without warning.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Interesting.

I see that relates to intentional hoaxes, though, and not people just kind of.... ignorant?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

That can become a tough call. Often people will bring information here and specifically ask ATS to analyze it... Youtube videos, pictures, documents, etc. In these cases, even if the source material turns out to be a hoax, it is not usually held against the OP. At least as far as staff is concerned.

Membership can be fickle on this issue. Some folks who tend to bring questionable content around become cult superstars - others become social pariahs whose threads quickly fade into obscurity.

Ultimately, in most cases, it is membership who outs the hoaxes through research and pooled knowledge. That is the nature of this site and staff does its utmost to avoid controlling or editorializing content. Other than facilitating civil discourse, enforcing T&C's, and keeping out spammers and trolls, the rest is left up to us all as members.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You make some good points.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

15l.) [HOAX]: In the event you Post more than three items that are later determined to be of an obviously hoax, fraudulent, or faked nature, your account may be terminated without warning.

Point of clarification - perpetrating a hoax will get you banned immediately upon a determination of the material being a hoax.

The "three strikes" deal is more for people who cull through (for example) YouTube and post the "OMG Look a Alien! What do you thnk?" threads. Now those people aren't actually creating the hoax (maybe), but if someone continually brings material in that is false, that's a bannable offense.

Naturally, there is some latitude and subjective decision making within the staff involved. We're not going to ban someone who has a sincere effort to participate according to the rules, but we're not going to have a lot of tolerance for someone who continually drags fake material in for their own amusement.

Hall of Shame? No. I see little need or use for that. What would we be shaming, someone's made-up internet persona? You do realize we'd then be inundated with the lip diddlers actually attempting to get in there for some sort of twisted need for any sort of recognition.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Hall of Shame? No. I see little need or use for that. What would we be shaming, someone's made-up internet persona? You do realize we'd then be inundated with the lip diddlers actually attempting to get in there for some sort of twisted need for any sort of recognition.

Well, my line of thinking was if someone had a little dunce cap on their avatar, or whatever, it would allow others to take their proclamations with a grain of salt (more so than normal, that is)

Thanks so much for both your responses.

edit on 18-3-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

If it's any consolation, don't think it isn't something we haven't discussed.
At the end of the day, we almost always come back to the same point - don't feed the trolls. It seems the tragically clueless and/or malicious aren't capable of distinguishing between positive attention and what us normal (!) people would consider to be negative attention. They thrive on either kind.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
....we could always just give them the "Jedimiller Badge of Shame". That outa do the trick....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Actually, it is consoling. Nice to know I'm not the only one face-palming some of these threads. Especially when I see them spilling over with stars and flags.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Darnit, I always get that confused... I thought it was "Starve a fever, feed a troll...."

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Actually, back in the day if someone received a warning they'd get a little red "Warn" button by their avatar for a few days. Clicking the button would take any member to the offending member's T&C breaking post, and the warn buttons were commonly know as the "red badge of courage/shame".

I actually kinda miss that system because when people had that shiny red reminder, highlighting their offensive behavior, it seemed to help many learn to post responsibly, and if ya racked up 3 at once you were banned. Later down the road offensive posts were simply removed/replaced as you see today; so the buttons no longer had the poster's original offense on full display. As such the "warn" buttons fell to the wayside, like the ignore feature, as ATS grew to what we now know today.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have to say, I miss the "warn" symbol.

Not because I want one, but because it was a temporary visual inclusion for a member who'd been naughty and served as a good reminder to others that someone IS watching.

Anything like a Hall of Shame, dunce cap or something degrading like that would not serve any purpose other than stop a member caring about what they write before they hit "reply" or "post" or send them into internet obscurity never to return.

Even good, seasoned and usually polite members used to get "warns" because....we're human.

Bans are good for hoaxers or repeat offenders and I think that has worked fine although the "banned" symbol is no longer shown in avatars (or profiles I think).

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
If it makes a difference, the mods can still somewhat label someone in a similar way to the old red warning label.

Say you have the title of writer and are then post banned...

When/if you are allowed to come back, then you will have the title of member with a lower case "m".

I suppose where some people could see that as a badge of shame; others could see it as a source of pride.

edit on 3/18/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thanks Sauron!!!!

I actually kind of thought that I was taking a chance of offending someone.

Thank you for letting me know that my sarcasm was understood, but yet it also was intended to deliver a message:

Don't be stupid and get post banned.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Kind of like the scarlet letter. You wear a dunce hat or something. It sure will make people hesitant to post hoaxes. Not only that their credibility will go down. In order to earn your credibility back you have to post provable material to gain it back...I call them credibility points.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Thanks Sauron? You appear to me to be responding to a post I do not see.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

It was a U2U that I was responding to. He was being kind to me for my self-deprecation, I suppose.

I figured that it would be appropriate to thank him for recognizing it.

Sometimes the mods can do the opposite of warning you by applauding your post.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hello

Is this where we apply for the dunce cap avatar?

Nothing to see here!

Move along!
edit on 19-3-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Trust me if there is a hall of shame on ATS you will be the first to know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join