It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real reason for the oceans of the world's rising. Not Global Warming.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have a new theory and thought I would see what you think! I don't think that the sea levels are rising just because of global warming. I think the levels are rising, because we keep on putting stuff in our oceans.

Every year there is a new Cruise ship that is bigger and better than the last. The materials that are used to make the big ships are source from inland. Then the ship is manufactured and place in the ocean. This is weight that the ocean didn't have to contend with before and therefore would displace some water. We all know what happens when you get in a bath that is full to the brim. It overflows, because we displace the water.

Now imagine that there is a few thousand of these ships in the ocean. This would displace a larger amount of water. This has to happen.

There are also coal ships and cargo ships.

This one would displace a lot.Also now combine to that displacement, that there are more people world wide with boats now, more displacement.

now this is just one marina full of boats, imagine how many marinas there are? And all marinas usually have walls created from rocks, dumped in the ocean=more displacement.

More and more people have access to and are able to travel to the beach. This means more bodies in the water displacing more water.

Also we have many countries starting to build on the water. The islands have their little huts on top the water. Many Asian countries are building in rivers to accommodate more people. Dubai has created their own world map of islands by dumping alot of dirt in the ocean. This all would displace water.

They said the Dubai island complexes were a trilogy, but I can not find an image for the other one.

There are also more bridges being built, all of these bridges have tremendous poles that extend into the oceans and rivers. These poles have to displace some amount of water. That is fact. There are over 600 000 bridges in the U.S. alone. Imagine worldwide.

Also all our rubbish that is chucked in the ocean or the ships that are always sunk out at sea. Like the junk island floating around the globe.

Now as you can see if you added all of these factors together and summed up the total amount of displacement of water, that is created, it would add up to a massive of water being displaced. I think this is the true reason for global water levels to be rising, and we are stupid and being blinded.

They are making out that it is everyone fault that the waters are rising, but I think if you look a little closer, I think all the money mungars are trying to slip another fast one past us, so they can continue to make their money and ruin the world!

Well lets look at it this way:

The surface area of the Worlds oceans is 335 258 000 km2

To raise the level of the worlds oceans by a metre you would need:

335 258 000 km2 * 0.0000001 km =335.258 km3 (0.0000001 km2= 1 metre)

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes. therefore:

A cubic metre of salt water weighs 1.027 tonnes *1000000metres =1 027 000 tonnes for a cubic kilometre of salt water

1 027 000 tonnes* 335.258km3= 344 309 966 tonnes

344 309 966 tonnes of water will need to be displaced to make a one metre rise in the oceans of the world.

There are around 250 cruise ships worldwide each weighing Average Gross tonnage of 100 000 tonnes

So the cruise ships world wide weigh 25 000 000tonnes in total.

There are around 9000 cargo ships around the world each weighing an average of 50 000 tonnes

so the cargo ships world wide weigh 450 000 000 tonnes in total.

now this is what they say about floating:

The standard definition of floating was first recorded by Archimedes and goes something like this: An object in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. So if a boat weighs 1,000 pounds (or kilograms), it will sink into the water until it has displaced 1,000 pounds (or kilograms) of water. Provided that the boat displaces 1,000 pounds of water before the whole thing is submerged, the boat floats.

So to me this means if the combined weight of all the boats is 475 000 000 tonnes then at one time there could be 475 000 000 tonnes of sea water displaced. I f everything was full.
I expect that half of these ships would be empty at any one time, so if we half the total it is more likely the figure of water displaced by the ships at one time.

This would be 237 500 000 tonnes of water displaced. If we needed 344 309 966 tonnes to be displaced to make a metre rise, these ships account for around two thirds of a metre rise or 60 cm globally

I think this is right is there any mathematicians to check my work?

So what do you think?

To the mods, sorry if it is not allowed to redo a thread, I couldn't find the answer anywhere if it is not allowed.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If you look at the Amazon river alone, it dumps a billion metric tons of sediment into the ocean every year...This river over time alone has to displace water and increase sea levels, let alone all the other rivers in the world dumping their sediment too.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
There is some logic to your theory, but IMO, I think the displacement would be negligible compared to the volume of water in the oceans.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ill check it later when I'm out of work but sounds interesting

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ken10

This is honestly one part I never even thought of. I don't know much about the Amazon river. Where does the sediment come from? and does the river start in the mountains? As I expect it would. Could the sediment be eaten or pushed back into the flow of the river? Sorry for all the questions.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
so to sum it up ...(very good thought and article) .. ONCE AGAIN HUMANS Fuc-ed us over .. we have screwed up the world so bad that the only thing left to do is .. (2012) .. wipe out everything of our existence cause we #ed up mother earth so bad with garbage and nukes this and that the list goes on . all that is happening in the bigger picture . The Earth is pissed off its treatin us the way we treated it .. (like garbage)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Star and Flag.

I came to this thread ready to laugh it off... but there is quite a bit of logic in your argumentation.

This hypothesis definitely holds true on smaller scales, so it becomes a matter of whether your numbers for the massive scale of the world's oceans hold true.

I will definitely be doing some additional research on the potential effects of water displacement, and there impact on such large bodies of water. Thanks, I needed to be wasting some more time today!?! (kidding, of course)

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

We don't need to look at the volume of water in the ocean. All we need is the surface area then raise it by a metre. I didn't think that it could do much, but when I found out there was 9000 * 100000 tonne vessels floating around it made me think. I actually hope I have got the calculations wrong, cos if its right, I'm amazed myself.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Or the land is just sinking. We have been very naughty boys and girls, and it's time for mother nature to whack our pee pee...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Slipdig1

Just want to correct your statement that 1 metre is 0.0000001 km as 1000m = 1km so it will be 0.001 km that has to be multiplied with the square km of the oceans.
edit on 18-3-2011 by UnixFE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
don't forget the earth plates movement, they rises and shrink as well... and we know like nothing about the ground of the see, under-surface volcano and pre-islands...
there is always more then just one cause to such complex environment changes like the see level.
Your ship theory is just one piece in this big puzzle and quite interesting as well

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions, but i think once it reaches the ocean it would be washed out to sea and dispersed...but none the less it would have an accumulative effect.

I just remember seeing it mentioned on a documentary and thinking to myself wow no wonder the sea levels rise, then i thought about all the coastal erosion as well that is happening daily which too must displace water to increase the levels....Although i'm not sure how many billions of tons of material it would take to make the sea levels rise by even one millimetre.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

no i said that 0.0000001 kilometres squared equals 1 metre that is right is it not. or are you saying that i should have only multiplied it by 0.0001 because 1 metre is 1 thousandth of a kilometre.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Slipdig1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Why have you done the same thread twice with a different title?

link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Well no one was noticing the other one and I did note this at the start of this thread, I said to the mods I didn't know if its allowewd or not. I redid it because I thought alot of people didn't read it because I hadn't done the math. I have done some math now, although it may not be right!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

If you had of read the thread again instead of just coming to ask me that you would have seen this for yourself.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

To calculate the neccessary displacement in km3 you have to multiply the km2 with the height. As it's km*km*km and you already have the square km of the ocean it's just the km left and not another km2
So you have to multiply with 1/1000=0.001

But it's a nice idea to calculate what all the ships will add to the height of the oceans. Even if it's much less it may be measureable.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That is very interesting. I did think of this awhile back but never put any thought into it. But your math seems to be correct. As for the sediment thing it doesn't make a diffenrece because that sediment is already in the water so there is negligeable displacement. All the stats for how much cubic dispalcement there is, is out there all we need is do the research and the math. I would very much like to know the results.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join